Register

Is there any chance we will have college football next fall?

This is the one to use if you want to talk about general college football topics.
Thong

Re: Is there any chance we will have college football next f

Postby bigearl » June 16th, 2020, 10:30 am

irishmark wrote:We need to stop thinking this can be compared to the flu.

A simple Google search shows the covid 19 death rate globally at 3.4%. The flu is less than 1%.

There is no comparison. Putting 100,000 people into stadiums, is like playing Russian roulette.

These large scale protests should be a litmus test. If there's not a huge spike in cases, will say a lot.

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » June 16th, 2020, 7:01 pm

We are several weeks past the start of the Minnesota protests and Minnesota's numbers continue to decrease.....

BUT, of course we have no idea how fast the numbers would be falling if all the people at the protests were not protesting but practicing social distancing....
SO, both sides can find what they want to find in the data...

If you want to have football in the fall, there is plenty of evidence that outdoor gatherings of mostly young healthy people are not threat.
If you want to NOT have football in the fall, there is also evidence that any gatherings at all are bad, and there are certainly still people getting infected.

The German Soccer experiment seems to be mostly positive.
Some schools testing protocols for voluntary workouts are negative.

You can see the glass as half full or half empty ...

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » June 17th, 2020, 7:03 am

bigearl wrote:
irishmark wrote:We need to stop thinking this can be compared to the flu.

A simple Google search shows the covid 19 death rate globally at 3.4%. The flu is less than 1%.

There is no comparison. Putting 100,000 people into stadiums, is like playing Russian roulette.

These large scale protests should be a litmus test. If there's not a huge spike in cases, will say a lot.

I found this interesting site if you want to see the what effect the large scale protests have had ... you can choose any state, and see lots of different metrics....

https://public.tableau.com/profile/pete ... rStateKeys

https://public.tableau.com/shared/F6G35 ... share_link

https://public.tableau.com/shared/F6G35KJJJ?:display_count=y&:origin=viz_share_link

Minnesota seems to be trending downward on all metrics since the protests started. Some of that is not really related to the disease, since testing went way down as testing centers got destroyed or closed due to violence nearby ... BUT there certainly isn't a SPIKE in Minnesota due to the large protests and the large groups all together...

You can check any state you want at that site ....

Thong

Postby bigearl » June 17th, 2020, 11:28 am

Xenon wrote:
I found this interesting site if you want to see the what effect the large scale protests have had ... you can choose any state, and see lots of different metrics....

https://public.tableau.com/profile/pete ... rStateKeys

https://public.tableau.com/shared/F6G35 ... share_link

https://public.tableau.com/shared/F6G35KJJJ?:display_count=y&:origin=viz_share_link

Minnesota seems to be trending downward on all metrics since the protests started. Some of that is not really related to the disease, since testing went way down as testing centers got destroyed or closed due to violence nearby ... BUT there certainly isn't a SPIKE in Minnesota due to the large protests and the large groups all together...

You can check any state you want at that site ....

Nice.. very interesting data. Thanks. I'm a glass half full guy myself. ;)

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » June 17th, 2020, 7:57 pm

bigearl wrote:
Nice.. very interesting data. Thanks. I'm a glass half full guy myself. ;)

I try to be a half full kind of guy as well..... but I'm also pretty naive about all the glass half empty stuff in the world as well. I try to ignore as much of the overly negative as I can and focus on positive stories and positive people and positive stuff....

BUT, I do get burned by the negative on a regular basis..... but I'd rather focus on the positive and suffer a few disappointments.

SOOOO, that is why I am optimistic about the possibility of Football.... I'd rather be excited about football, read stories about how "THIS IS YEAR" for Michigan to beat Ohio State, and "THIS IS THE YEAR" for BYU to beat utah and be excited about all that.... even though I know in my brain (but I deny it) that utah is going to beat BYU, Ohio State is going to beat Michigan, and the chance for no football is very real. BUT it's tooooo depressing to focus on that ... and way more fun to focus on the upcoming Michigan vs BYU National Championship game!!!!!

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » June 17th, 2020, 8:16 pm

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/6/1 ... tom-holmoe

BYU ready to start it's run to the national championship!!!!

We are encouraged by the NCAA Division I Council’s announcements today approving summer athletics activities and preseason practice for the upcoming 2020-21 athletic season,” BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe said in a statement. “As we did previously with the return to campus for voluntary workouts, we are developing plans for our student-athletes to begin countable athletically related activities this summer as outlined by the NCAA. We’ll continue to work with university leaders and government officials to monitor the COVID-19 situation closely as we make preparations for the coming season.”

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » June 18th, 2020, 1:20 pm

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 213140001/

Well, that is NOT good news ...

BUT, on the flip side, drove past our High School today, and the football team was out practicing .... Which is hopeful....

So, mixed news ...

BUT, I still choose to be a Glass Half Full kind of guy.

His Noliness

Postby Aloha Nole » June 20th, 2020, 5:45 am

NCAA approves football preseason model ahead of 2020 season
By NICK KOSKO
Jun 17, 5:01 PM

The NCAA is ready as they put a plan into place for resuming football activities. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, sports were halted back in March but campuses are beginning to slowly reopen and allow voluntary football workouts, should the athletes choose to participate.

Now, the NCAA has a preseason model for football activities ahead of an anticipated on time start for the regular season. The NCAA is modeling after a September 5th start.

The Division 1 council released a statement regarding the decision.

“Assuming a first game on Sept. 5, the model begins summer access activities July 13 and adds meetings and walkthroughs on July 24,” the statement read. “Preseason practice begins August 7th.”

The model will be acted on by the Division I Council next Wednesday, according to the release. It assumes COVID-19 local and state health policies are considered at the institutional level.

“This is the culmination of a significant amount of collaboration in our effort to find the best solution for Division I football institutions,” Shane Lyons, chair of the committee and director of athletics at West Virginia said. “Our student-athletes, conference commissioners, coaches and health and safety professionals helped mold the model we are proposing.”

According to the statement, assuming a school's first game is on September 5th, student athletes will have a required amount of training hours through a period in July.

"Under the proposed model, assuming a school’s first scheduled football contest is on Saturday, Sept. 5, student-athletes may be required to participate in up to eight hours of weight training, conditioning and film review per week (not more than two hours of film review per week) from July 13-23," the statement read. "Then, from July 24 through Aug. 6, student-athletes may be required to participate in up to 20 hours of countable athletically related activities per week (not more than four hours per day) as follows: Up to eight hours per week for weight training and conditioning. Up to six hours per week for walk-throughs, which may include the use of a football. Up to six hours per week for meetings, which may include film review, team meetings, position meetings, one-on-one meetings, etc.

"During this 14-day period, student-athletes are required to get at least two days off. The model does not make any adjustments to the legislated 29-day preseason practice period. In the previous example, the school’s preseason practice period would begin Aug. 7 with a five-day acclimatization period, followed by the opportunity for up to 25 on-field practices."

Lyons believes the approved model provides plenty of flexibility for schools across the country as the coronavirus disease relevancy varies throughout parts of the country.

“Given the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic across the country, we believe this model provides institutions and their student-athletes flexibility to prepare for the upcoming season,” Lyons said.

https://247sports.com/college/florida-s ... -148279403
Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, author of "Lone Survivor," described Navy Seal Medal of Honor recipient LT Michael Murphy as "An iron-souled warrior of colossal and almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy."

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » June 20th, 2020, 1:23 pm

I think the NCAA having a plan going forward is good news ....

I do have to admit the Major League Baseball crashing and burning trying to restart is really bad news. It proves that even if most people WANT to restart, and they should restart, one or two people can throw the whole plan into chaos and make it not start afterall.

I think that is a real threat for NCAA football. It can be that all the fans want it, that the players want it, that the coaches want it, that the ADs want it, that the Presidents want it, etc etc etc .... someone somewhere can throw all that into chaos and blow up the plan that everyone else agrees to and finds acceptable.....

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » June 20th, 2020, 3:17 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/17/spor ... celed.html

So ... some bad news for college football ... especially the smaller schools....

The message of this story that I got was .... if you are counting on BUTS in the SEATS, you are in trouble. If the money is more about TV eyeballs, than is looking more positive

PreviousNext

Return to Everything About College Football