Register

turn on and off kid's internet access

Doo-hickeys, hacks, asteroids, spaceships, rocketmen, and sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!
The X-Man Cometh

turn on and off kid's internet access

Postby Xenon » September 29th, 2013, 4:54 pm

Ok, I hope there is a relatively easy way to do this ....

Teenager has laptop for doing school work ... but she is also surfing and chatting and stuff like that when she is SUPPOSED to be doing homework. We want to help her learn to focus and get the job done ....

So, what I want is a relatively easy way to turn off internet access on her computer until all the homework is done, then she can play around all she wants. I want the incentive to get your homework done quickly.

So, ... my ideal solution is something like this ...... Everyday at midnight, her MAC address is blocked, until she comes and tells us all the homework is done, then we go push a relatively easy button and it turns on her MAC address.

I don't really want to take the computer away ... as she supposed to writing papers and such. I still need her to have access to home network resources like the wireless printer and such.....

Our modem has "access scheduler" which is almost right ... I can tell it to only let her computer access the internet from 8pm to 11pm or something like that. And that is what I'm trying right now. BUT, I'd like it to be a bit more dependent on THAT NIGHT'S homework ... if she gets it all done before 8 GREAT, she can watch an episode of Dr. Who or whatever, MEANWHILE, if things are going really slow, and the homework isn't done by 9pm or whatever, the internet still doesn't turn on for her.

It looks like I COULD do it by putting in a MAC address blocking list with just her MAC address in it, and then turn that on and off every night. BUT, that is logging into the modem everynight, and a couple of clicks, which might be a bit more technology than my HCBW is up to every night.

So I think I am looking a third party add on of somekind ...

Anyway, is what I am asking for possible .....

His Noliness

Re: turn on and off kid's internet access

Postby *YNC* Aloha Nole » September 29th, 2013, 5:06 pm

Slave driver... :pfft:
Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, author of "Lone Survivor," described Navy Seal Medal of Honor recipient LT Michael Murphy as "An iron-souled warrior of colossal and almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy."

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » December 18th, 2013, 3:27 pm

Aloha Nole wrote:Image

Slave driver... :pfft:

THat is one of the coolest smiley's!
“Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty”.

Joseph Goebbells

Postby purpl_bludd » August 29th, 2014, 11:21 am

I did some research along these lines as well. There is a third party firmware for routers that you can burn onto your router that does the trick. I even went and found one of the routers that would work for it. But I haven't had time to burn it or install it yet.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

But it does everything you want.

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » August 29th, 2014, 11:24 am

purpl_bludd wrote:I did some research along these lines as well. There is a third party firmware for routers that you can burn onto your router that does the trick. I even went and found one of the routers that would work for it. But I haven't had time to burn it or install it yet.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

But it does everything you want.

Purpl_blud to the rescue 11 months later. ;) Just kidding. I've been AWOL for the last 6 months myself. Good to see ya, purp.

Return to High-Tech Wonderland and Site Info