Register

New Bowl games for 2020

This is the one to use if you want to talk about general college football topics.
His Noliness

New Bowl games for 2020

Postby Aloha Nole » January 31st, 2020, 3:57 pm

Here we go again...

Last year there was 78 teams that went Bowling, and 1 was left out. So this season (what I am seeing as of now) shows them adding 3 new Bowl games to last year's slate. So that mean they will need 84 teams to fill out the slate.

I see a bunch of 5-7 P5 teams going Bowling. UGGGGH.

TBA – Fenway Bowl ACC/Notre Dame vs. American (in Boston, MA) (ESPN)

TBA – Los Angeles Bowl Pac-12 vs. MWC (in Inglewood, CA) (ESPN)

TBA – Myrtle Beach Bowl American/MAC/Sun Belt (in Conway, SC) (ESPN)
Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, author of "Lone Survivor," described Navy Seal Medal of Honor recipient LT Michael Murphy as "An iron-souled warrior of colossal and almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy."

Re: New Bowl games for 2020

Postby hammerhead » February 1st, 2020, 4:26 pm

I know you’ve all been waiting breathlessly for my pontification on bowl games, so here it is. I started watching college football back in 1963, when I was 13. There were less than a dozen bowl games then. Since they were mostly tied into specific conferences, there was a limited chance that a true national championship could be agreed on, because seldom did the top ranked teams square off. Like most other people, I wanted a definitive game to decide it, but alas, seldom such luck. Most often all of the bowls turned out to be just exhibition games which proved nothing. The number of games proliferated and we got to where we are now.
However, with the playoff now instituted, we can, with some confidence, match up the best group and determine a (legitimate) national champion.
So where does that leave the rest of the bowl games (and the rest of the teams)? Well, they’re still just a bunch of exhibition games generally trying to match up teams that are rated as being competitive with each other. But I’ve found that some of the most entertaining games have come from this panoply of non-championship games. One of my recent favorites was the 2017 Armed Forces Bowl when Army’s disciplined 4-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust ground out a win over San Diego St’s electric Rashaad Perry. These games are certainly more entertaining than many of the “regular season” mis-matches.
For me, college football is my prime sports interest. If the University of Texas is competitive in other sports (basketball, baseball, softball, weightlifting, etc) then I will follow that, but CFB is my big No. 1. Now I’ve got mostly nothing to do until August.
So I don’t have any problem with more games no matter what the team records are, as long as the teams seem evenly matched. Heck, I wouldn’t mind seeing Kohler sponsor, literally, a Toilet Bowl redemption game matching the two worst teams since they’d probably be fairly evenly matched and they’d be fighting like hell to stay out of the bottom.
Just my opinion.

His Noliness

Postby Aloha Nole » February 1st, 2020, 4:32 pm

I draw the line at teams with losing records.

Bowl games are a reward. And we should not be rewarding teams for sub-standard performances.
Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, author of "Lone Survivor," described Navy Seal Medal of Honor recipient LT Michael Murphy as "An iron-souled warrior of colossal and almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy."

Postby hammerhead » February 1st, 2020, 8:24 pm

"Bowl games are a reward." That's just a pejorative statement. I know it's been presented that way by the school administrations but there isn't any standard. Certainly not now. Is the reward for being 'not worse than average'? There were quite a few 6-6 teams in bowls. Should there be a higher minimum number of wins - 7, 8, 9? Where's the reward? Many teams don't make enough off the game to cover their expenses.

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » February 3rd, 2020, 12:20 pm

hammerhead wrote:"Bowl games are a reward." That's just a pejorative statement. I know it's been presented that way by the school administrations but there isn't any standard. Certainly not now. Is the reward for being 'not worse than average'? There were quite a few 6-6 teams in bowls. Should there be a higher minimum number of wins - 7, 8, 9? Where's the reward? Many teams don't make enough off the game to cover their expenses.

I'm okay if teams have winning record Mid Majors have been screwed over the years and their fan bases at the right locations do travel well.

The issues we have are bad match-ups and not popular destinations on several of the bowls

Two years ago we had a few left at home and it would made sense then to have had these new bowls

But, this past season we only had Toledo

So you would rewarded 5 teams with a losing record to fill these bowls

Looking back over the past few years only been couple like 2018-2019 with more than one left out

The other years they just made it or rewarded 5-7 teams.
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » February 5th, 2020, 7:07 pm

Personally, I favor not having teams with a losing record in the Bowls.
God, Country, Notre Dame

Return to Everything About College Football