Register

CFP National Championship Game

This is the one to use if you want to talk about general college football topics.
The Green Jersey

Re: CFP National Championship Game

Postby irish 78 » January 15th, 2020, 11:47 am

Agree with Dubby, LSU had one of the most impressive seasons ever by a college football team. It is funny that Ohio State had almost as good of a season.

It is disappointing that the refs made some bad calls in the playoffs, but LSU found a way to beat very good teams all season and I suspect they would have done so even if the close calls went against them in the championship game.

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » January 15th, 2020, 12:11 pm

MikeTheTiger wrote:NRG Stadium

Well, good for LSU! Although I'm betting it's a bigger cut for LSU at the gate.
“Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty”.

Joseph Goebbells

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » January 15th, 2020, 12:20 pm

MikeTheTiger wrote:
MikeTheTiger wrote:The question is how long they can hold onto them.

Ugggghhhh. It looks like the answer to that question is less than 24 hours. Joe Brady is reportedly on his way to becoming the Carolina Panthers' OC.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Joe Brady agreed to become the offensive coordinator of the Carolina Panthers less than 24 hours after helping LSU win the national title.

A source told ESPN's Adam Schefter that the 30-year-old Brady, after one year as LSU's passing coordinator, will return to the NFL and become the league's youngest active offensive coordinator.

He will join former Baylor coach Matt Rhule, recently named Carolina's fifth head coach in franchise history.

Baylor defensive coordinator Phil Snow is expected to join Rhule in Charlotte as defensive coordinator, sources told ESPN. Snow and Rhule have been together since 2013, first at rebuilding Temple and then from 2017 to '19 at Baylor.
Editor's Picks

Bourbon Street, Burreaux and the Bayou: How a city and state rallied for their Tigers
'You deserve it all': NFL stars and others react to Joe Burrow's championship farewell
Ranking the top 50 potential NFL free agents in 2020

But Brady was the bigger get because of his fast ascension in the coaching ranks. He went from a graduate assistant at Penn State in 2015 to an offensive assistant for the New Orleans Saints (2017-18) to LSU in five years.

Brady recently agreed to an extension with LSU that reportedly would have more than doubled his $410,000 annual earnings. While he said Saturday he intended to stay at LSU, his extension did not prohibit him from going to the NFL or accepting a college head coaching job, and Brady took advantage of that on Tuesday.

Brady's star really shined this past season when he helped quarterback Joe Burrow win the Heisman Trophy and national championship MVP with 5,671 yards passing and 60 touchdown passes, a single-season NCAA FBS record.

Brady won the Broyles Award given to the best assistant coach in college football.

Brady's philosophy in the spread offense should mix well with that of Rhule, who believes in adapting to the strengths of his players more than forcing players to adapt to what he wants.

He will inherit one of the league's most dynamic players in running back Christian McCaffrey, who in 2019 became the third player in NFL history to have 1,000 yards rushing and receiving in the same season.

It remains uncertain whether Brady will work with quarterback Cam Newton, who is recovering from surgery to repair a Lisfranc injury. The other two quarterbacks on Carolina's roster are 2019 third-round pick Will Grier and Kyle Allen.

Allen took over for Newton after he reaggravated the Lisfranc injury originally suffered in the third preseason game and started 12 games.

The Panthers also could use the No. 7 pick of the April draft on a quarterback. It's unlikely Burrow, projected to be the top pick to Cincinnati, would be available without a trade up.

"Every coach should put together a system that isn't just what we do and this is what we're doing,'' Brady said on Saturday at media day for the College Football Playoff National Championship Game. "It's about let's see what our players do well and run the system that can relate to them and put them in the best position to have success.

"No matter the quarterback you have, if he can't really throw well but he can run, let's put a system together that can put him in the best position. The same with your running back and receivers and tight ends. The best coaches don't just run a system. They run what puts their players in the best position.''

Brady learned much of what he used at LSU this season working with Saints coach Sean Payton and quarterback Drew Brees. He took that knowledge to Burrow, who threw for five touchdowns and ran for another on Monday night in a 42-25 victory over Clemson.

"He's an NFL quarterback,'' Brady said of Burrow when asked whether he was a product of the system or talent. "For anybody to put on the tape and doubt that . . . Joe Burrow is not a system quarterback. Joe Burrow will fit in any system.

"If you want to be the most successful offense or most successful offensive coordinator you're going to have to develop a system that utilizes what he does the best.''

For those that don't follow the NFL, The Panthers need more than just OC to cure their offensive woes

Cam only shell of his former self missed 14 games last season

Allen started out okay as QB was pulled for Grier once they hit the late season skid

Their offense is basically McCafferty right now. They need weapons including a QB IMO Newton is done in Carolina
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » January 15th, 2020, 2:05 pm

I'll take Cam with the Bears!

Joseph Goebbells

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » January 16th, 2020, 10:34 pm

And now Dave Aranda is on his way to Baylor and 8 players declared early for the draft. It will be interesting to see how Orgeron puts all the pieces back together.

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » January 17th, 2020, 3:10 pm

MikeTheTiger wrote:And now Dave Aranda is on his way to Baylor and 8 players declared early for the draft. It will be interesting to see how Orgeron puts all the pieces back together.

Aranda is a big loss. Probably bigger than the 8 players.

One of the best Defensive Coordinators in College Football.

Joseph Goebbells

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » January 17th, 2020, 11:40 pm

irishmark wrote:
MikeTheTiger wrote:And now Dave Aranda is on his way to Baylor and 8 players declared early for the draft. It will be interesting to see how Orgeron puts all the pieces back together.

I'll wait to see who Orgeron is able to hire in Aranda's place, but I agree there aren't any obviously up-and-coming defensive masterminds out there like Aranda to replace him. Of the now 9 players leaving early, the biggest hits were losing both starting MLBs and 3 offensive lineman (in addition to the one senior). There is talent at the skilled positions to replace the players who are leaving, but it's going to be tough replacing almost the entire OL and the middle of the defense.

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » January 21st, 2020, 11:13 am

MikeTheTiger wrote:
irishmark wrote:

I'll wait to see who Orgeron is able to hire in Aranda's place, but I agree there aren't any obviously up-and-coming defensive masterminds out there like Aranda to replace him. Of the now 9 players leaving early, the biggest hits were losing both starting MLBs and 3 offensive lineman (in addition to the one senior). There is talent at the skilled positions to replace the players who are leaving, but it's going to be tough replacing almost the entire OL and the middle of the defense.

Not to mention a Heisman Trophy winning quarterback.

Joseph Goebbells

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » January 21st, 2020, 8:56 pm

Yes, of course, Burrow is the biggest loss. I was speaking in reference to the players who left early.

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » January 25th, 2020, 11:27 am

MikeTheTiger wrote:Yes, of course, Burrow is the biggest loss. I was speaking in reference to the players who left early.

Irishmark was demonstrating his tremendous grasp of the perfectly obvious.

:P
God, Country, Notre Dame

PreviousNext

Return to Everything About College Football