Register

CFP National Championship Game

This is the one to use if you want to talk about general college football topics.
The Artist FKA SECRules

Re: CFP National Championship Game

Postby MikeTheTiger » January 14th, 2020, 12:19 pm

GR82BACANE wrote:Pac 12 officials are pathetic. How they allowed a Pac 12 group to call the championship game is incredible. They blew so many calls. The PI at the end was real bad but not as bad missing the LSU RB down with his hands out of bounds and giving him an extra 15 yards on the play. Everyone I was watching with knew he was out of bounds how they didn't see it or review it is beyond me.

There were numerous other bad calls that went both ways but these 2 were beyond bad.

They definitely missed Edwards-Helaire's hand coming down out-of-bounds, but their view was obstructed and LSU got the next play off very quickly. The replay booth probably should have acted more quickly to stop play. It's unlikely that call made a difference given how well LSU was moving the ball at that time and Edwards-Helaire had the first down anyway even if they had marked it correctly. The PI was a judgment call. Both players put their hands on each other, which isn't PI in and of itself. You have to gain an advantage by obstructing, impeding or pushing in such a way that a player's positioning is materially impacted by the contact. The force of Higgins pushing forced Vincent to the ground and prevented him from making a play on the ball. IMO, that's pass interference regardless of whether Vincent made contact as well. Was there room for interpretation? Sure, but I wouldn't call that a blown call. Still didn't change the outcome, only possibly the final margin. If Clemson scores there, there's a decent chance LSU would have responded.

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » January 14th, 2020, 1:09 pm

I will say this. Coach O can coach. Brent Venables is as good a defensive coach as you'll find and Dabo is terrific at coaching his team through the media. He reminds me of Coach Holtz with that. But Coach O and his staff made great adjustments after that first quarter.

Congratulations, Mike! What a ride! I miss that feeling!
“Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty”.

Joseph Goebbells

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » January 14th, 2020, 1:23 pm

irishmark wrote:I will say this. Coach O can coach. Brent Venables is as good a defensive coach as you'll find and Dabo is terrific at coaching his team through the media. He reminds me of Coach Holtz with that. But Coach O and his staff made great adjustments after that first quarter.

Coach O and his staff did an incredible job making adjustments. I was so afraid it was going to be a repeat of the 2011 title game when Clemson pounced on them early, but they proved their worth after that. Lost in all the legitimate accolades for the offense and the offensive coaching staff is the fact that they held Clemson to 108 yards of offense in the second half. They found the answers for what Clemson was doing to them early and Clemson had no response. It's unlikely they'll repeat this magical season, but I feel good about the future knowing LSU has a championship caliber coaching staff. The question is how long they can hold onto them.

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » January 14th, 2020, 2:27 pm

Congrats, Mike...… and to the LSU Tigers. Great season all the way!
God, Country, Notre Dame

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » January 14th, 2020, 3:23 pm

MikeTheTiger wrote:
irishmark wrote:I will say this. Coach O can coach. Brent Venables is as good a defensive coach as you'll find and Dabo is terrific at coaching his team through the media. He reminds me of Coach Holtz with that. But Coach O and his staff made great adjustments after that first quarter.

Coach O and his staff did an incredible job making adjustments. I was so afraid it was going to be a repeat of the 2011 title game when Clemson pounced on them early, but they proved their worth after that. Lost in all the legitimate accolades for the offense and the offensive coaching staff is the fact that they held Clemson to 108 yards of offense in the second half. They found the answers for what Clemson was doing to them early and Clemson had no response. It's unlikely they'll repeat this magical season, but I feel good about the future knowing LSU has a championship caliber coaching staff. The question is how long they can hold onto them.

Two great staffs was impressed with in game changes made by both teams. I believe we witness one of top performances of Team in our time. You look at LSU body of work and coming down the Stretch with SEC Title Game, Playoffs and then Championship. Not a doubt in my mind this one top 5 all time.

Officials mistakes aside even if this was perfectly called game LSU still wins.

Tebow needs to shut-up with LSU better enjoy this year because next year Bama is back crap. All LSU has needed was good OC as defensively they hung with Saban teams just couldn't muster points. Now you have great OC and returning loads of talent. Signing loads of talent and LSU is not going anywhere. QB is far easier to replace than an entire OL. (Asked Manning about his senior year at Tennessee playing florida with new OL) (Or See Tee Martin winning National Title with the same O-line the next season)

LSU is defending National Champs and new Sheriff in town (IMO)

LSU is not dealing with massive staff turnover and massive underclassman going to NFL in record numbers. Bama defense has been showing the signs of no experienced returning leadership and continued plugging in Frosh. Plus the revolving door of new coaches. Like Finebaum is saying this going to start biting Saban BIG hard to overcome that every year and stay on top.

LSU and Clemson keeping Staff and returning players and super recruiting and the King of CFB is changing (For the better IMO)
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » January 14th, 2020, 4:18 pm

I must admit (Sorry Mike) but, I was rooting for Clemson as they come in to Notre Dame stadium next November for a game under the lights. I was wanting them to be the two time defending National Champions coming into Notre Dame Stadium on that cold November night.

Oh well, it'll still be an exciting night!

Joseph Goebbells

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » January 14th, 2020, 4:41 pm

Makes sense to me, Mark. I talked a bunch of Rice fans into rooting for LSU for the same reason. Of course Rice has no chance of beating LSU next year.

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » January 14th, 2020, 5:08 pm

MikeTheTiger wrote:Makes sense to me, Mark. I talked a bunch of Rice fans into rooting for LSU for the same reason. Of course Rice has no chance of beating LSU next year.

I doubt that game is being played in Houston.

Joseph Goebbells

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » January 14th, 2020, 7:42 pm

NRG Stadium

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » January 14th, 2020, 10:20 pm

MikeTheTiger wrote:The question is how long they can hold onto them.

Ugggghhhh. It looks like the answer to that question is less than 24 hours. Joe Brady is reportedly on his way to becoming the Carolina Panthers' OC.

PreviousNext

Return to Everything About College Football