Register

Star Wars IX .... ?

Literature, music, movies, TV, games, whatever! Use this forum for all creative outlets.
The X-Man Cometh

Star Wars IX .... ?

Postby Xenon » December 3rd, 2019, 9:20 pm

So, I have seen some ads and know Star Wars IX is coming out ..... but honestly, I am not excited...

We'll probably go over Christmas .... I guess .... unless there is something better .... but I don't know ...

It's weird, since I have always been excited for Star Wars .... but the excitement is gone somehow...

SOOOO .... SHOULD I be excited?

The Unimpeachable Source

Re: Star Wars IX .... ?

Postby irishmark » December 7th, 2019, 11:30 pm

The Last Jedi sucked so I can understand your apprehension.
“ if Miami wants to fight after the game, I need one favor. Save Jimmy Johnson’s ass for me”

Lou Holtz

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » January 2nd, 2020, 5:21 pm

Most of the rest of the family was excited, so we went....

Rise of Skywalker is good. Fun, good plot, great special effects, etc.

It's not fantastic, but certainly way way better than 8, and better than 1-2-3.

SPOILERS ......

One Plot question for people who have seen it ....

In the end, the Emperor says something like "Kill me, and the evil in me will rise up in you" and "Kill me, and all the Sith in me will rise in you" or something like that.... The same idea as in Return of the Jedi, I guess. It kind of made sense in Return of the Jedi, giving in to Hate just makes you into what you hate. And Luke DIDN'T Kill him (Darth Vader did ... sort of ... maybe not)

Eventually Rey DOES actually kill the Emperor, BUT that whole "Evil rise up in her" didn't happen .... So, Why? (within the plot ... not questioning the plot, want to know the plot's cannonical reason).

a) my wife suggestion was that Rey didn't kill him in hatred or anger, so the bad things didn't happen to Rey. (Yeah, I don't like that one ... she melted him with LOVE!?!?)
b) kids say they think it is because she didn't kill him, but he killed himself since she just bounced back his force lighting on himself, so nothing bad happened because she didn't do it on purpose.
c) it's certainly possible that the Emperor was lying and nothing bad would have happened if she just struck him down when she first got there.
d) Maybe he changed the plan or changed something when he sucked the life force out of them, and revivied himself, and then figured he could be the Sith Lord again.
e) something about the Dyad bond between Rey and Ben that counteracted the Emperor's plan?

Just wondering ....

Ack! Ththbbthttbt!

Postby Willie the Wildcat » January 3rd, 2020, 9:34 am

My reaction was mostly B with a dash of A/C combo thrown in.

There was too much Harry Potter/Voldemort final confrontation for my likes. That was my immediate impression watching it on the screen.

Overall, an entertaining movie if you're not trying to analyze it as you're watching it. Just don't try to think it through too much. TLJ really cut the legs out from under any coherent finish to the story. I think they did about the best they could given that.

Although I'm really interested in this so called "JJ's Director's Cut" rumor that is implying Disney parallel edited the final version without Abram's knowledge.

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » January 3rd, 2020, 10:42 am

I am more and more convinced it is D .... He changed the plan .... he revived himself and then didn't / couldn't do whatever it was to move all the evil into her.....

I tend to agree that this was fun and the best that could be done after the disaster of Episode 8. I remember thinking after TLJ that the best possible path forward was to say "Episode 8 is not cannon. Just forget about Episode 8 completely. It's not really part of the story. Episode 9 is what we really meant to be after Episode 7". And Rise of Skywalker is pretty darn close to that.....

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » January 9th, 2020, 11:45 am

Rey had the power of all the Jedi's, while the Emporor had all the power of his interns. Rey had simply more power.
“ if Miami wants to fight after the game, I need one favor. Save Jimmy Johnson’s ass for me”

Lou Holtz

Return to Arts & Entertainment