Register

Rules Changes

Come talk a little college round-ball.
The Artist FKA SECRules

Rules Changes

Postby *YNC* MikeTheTiger » August 10th, 2018, 8:26 am

I have seen a lot of banter in the media that the changes made by the NCAA are inconsequential, but I think the key point they are missing is that the changes are intended to work in concert with the NBA allowing high school seniors to be draft eligible again. Unless and until that happens, then I agree that the changes will only have minor impact. Once that change happens, then I think the idea of allowing all players to be draft eligible and letting them return to college (or go to college in the case of high school seniors) if they aren't drafted removes a lot of noise from the current system. Bringing relationships with agents above board and limiting the power of AAU coaches should also go a long way toward reducing the corruption. People will always find ways to cheat and get around the system, but I think this will clean things up considerably. I'm not exactly sure what other measures the critics think would be more effective. I suspect most of them are in the "pay the players" camp.

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Re: Rules Changes

Postby Iconoclast » August 10th, 2018, 6:11 pm

*YNC* MikeTheTiger wrote:I have seen a lot of banter in the media that the changes made by the NCAA are inconsequential, but I think the key point they are missing is that the changes are intended to work in concert with the NBA allowing high school seniors to be draft eligible again. Unless and until that happens, then I agree that the changes will only have minor impact. Once that change happens, then I think the idea of allowing all players to be draft eligible and letting them return to college (or go to college in the case of high school seniors) if they aren't drafted removes a lot of noise from the current system. Bringing relationships with agents above board and limiting the power of AAU coaches should also go a long way toward reducing the corruption. People will always find ways to cheat and get around the system, but I think this will clean things up considerably. I'm not exactly sure what other measures the critics think would be more effective. I suspect most of them are in the "pay the players" camp.

I heard the rules changes caught the NBA off guard. The NCAA didn't consult and work with the NBA on them. I agree with you on the corruption part, it should help reduce it, but won't eliminate it. If I recall, one change was to allow HS seniors to sign with agents. If this is true, I think that it could move the corruption down to the HS and AAU level, unless I am misunderstanding something. I can see AAU coaches and HS coaches suddenly driving nice new cars because of this. And I can also see players and parents getting a nice cut of money for signing. However that isn't the NCAA's problem, because they moved the agent business out of their purview.
Make GASF Great Again!

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby *YNC* MikeTheTiger » August 13th, 2018, 7:57 am

Iconoclast wrote:I heard the rules changes caught the NBA off guard. The NCAA didn't consult and work with the NBA on them. I agree with you on the corruption part, it should help reduce it, but won't eliminate it. If I recall, one change was to allow HS seniors to sign with agents. If this is true, I think that it could move the corruption down to the HS and AAU level, unless I am misunderstanding something. I can see AAU coaches and HS coaches suddenly driving nice new cars because of this. And I can also see players and parents getting a nice cut of money for signing. However that isn't the NCAA's problem, because they moved the agent business out of their purview.

Allowing the players to sign with agents doesn't imply they are being allowed to get paid by agents. The goal is have a list of accredited agents who, in theory, will play by the rules in order to stay accredited by the NCAA. They key will be cooperation with the NBA and their also limiting the use of agents to that list.

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » August 13th, 2018, 1:46 pm

*YNC* MikeTheTiger wrote:
Allowing the players to sign with agents doesn't imply they are being allowed to get paid by agents. The goal is have a list of accredited agents who, in theory, will play by the rules in order to stay accredited by the NCAA. They key will be cooperation with the NBA and their also limiting the use of agents to that list.

I just see the potential for the abuse to move to the HS/AAU coach level. I understand that agents won't be able to pay students, but I think the agents could funnel compensation to a coach in return for influence on the kid to sign with that agent. Sure, the NCAA says that they can monitor this and make sure that no abuse occurs, however this is the NCAA we are talking about.
Make GASF Great Again!

Return to NCAA Hoops