Register

Give Jr. credit for honesty

NASCAR Sprint Cup, Nationwide Series, Indy Racing, it's all good in the racing forum. Hell, Motorcycle, Dog, and Horse Racing are welcome too.
The Curmudgeon

Give Jr. credit for honesty

Postby Domer » February 23rd, 2015, 8:52 am

http://www.cbssports.com/general/eye-on ... of-daytona

Dale Earnhardt Jr. is blaming himself following his third place finish at the Daytona 500 Sunday. Earnhardt Jr., who led the third-most laps of the race, was third on a restart with 18 laps to go, but got caught in traffic and picked the wrong lane, falling all the way back to 15th.

"I made a real bad decision on that restart with 18 to go," Earnahrdt Jr. said. "I made a poor choice and got shuffled back and you can't do that. It's real disappointing because the team gave me the best car."

It was Earnhardt Jr.'s eighth career top-5 finish at the Great American Race, but he feels like it got away from him after that restart.

"I had a good enough car to drive back up there," he said. " ... You don't get cars that good too often so I tried to capitalize."

Earnhardt knew on the final restart after the red flag came out, he didn't have a chance.

"I was [seventh]. I didn't have nothing going on," he said. "The outside line got going good enough that you didn't want to disrupt that by going to the outside. ... Once we got clear we got strung out and there just wasn't enough laps. Even if Kevin had backed up, I didn't know if he would stay with me."
God, Country, Notre Dame

Re: Give Jr. credit for honesty

Postby Michigan Grad » February 25th, 2015, 5:11 pm

That's why Junior will always be a fan favorite.
His talent might be a little over-rated, but Junior Nation became Junior Nation because of his father and his legacy, work ethic, and honesty.

I would be floored if I ever heard either Busch brother, Hamblin, or Harvick ever taking blame for their own mistakes and not blame other racers, equipment, track conditions or officials, NASCAR rules or scheduling, or the media for their own mistakes or misfortunes.
Coaching is my passion:
Hockey - Plymouth Canton Hockey Association
Football - Cardinal Mooney High School

Return to Racing