Register

How is everybody doing?

Anything and everything (within reason) for all posters. Be sure to check out the "Rules and Notices" forum before posting.
Don't bite me, you little @#$%!

How is everybody doing?

Postby DiehardLonghornFan » March 19th, 2020, 8:14 am

I know there's so few of us left here at GASF, but wanted to see how everyone is handling the pandemic. My office is closed except for emergencies starting today for at least a week to two weeks. Nobody sick in my family, but oldest son is living in New York City. We are trying to get him to pack up and come down here where it's not so congested. Stay safe and God bless.
Keith
DLF
HOOK 'EM!

The X-Man Cometh

Re: How is everybody doing?

Postby Xenon » March 22nd, 2020, 2:06 pm

I'm pretty lucky and my job is doing Work From Home as much as possible. But I'm in middle management now, and working out Work From Home schedules for all our employees is crazy ... all day, every day. I woke up at 3:30 am several days stressing about different things for work, went to my makeshift home office to deal with them.... It's been very long days. BUT, I will still get paid, which puts me way ahead of sooooo many people who are not getting paid.

Kids are out of school. Schools are a mess. They sent out a new email every two hours for about 2 days, each one contradicting the previous one. "we're having school", "Ok, we're not having school for three weeks, and you will have to make up those three weeks in June", "Oh wait, we messed up. One of the three weeks is spring break anyway, so you won't have to make up that week, just two weeks in June","Oh well, not we are not going make you come in june but you have to do mandatory homework over the two weeks you are out", "Ok, on second thought, the homework is voluntary" and on and on.

One kid was supposed to go back to college in April, but the University is going ALL Remote and Online for Spring term, so we think at this point he will stay here with us. We don't know. Everyone is just making it up as they go along.

Shopping was CRAZY for a few days or so, but seems to mostly getting back to normal. We have plenty of food and other stuff so I'm not all that worried. Emptied, cleaned and refilled out 55 gallon water storage for a worst case scenario that I think is highly unlikely.

Struggling to find ways to keep everyone busy and productive. My parents (80s, with health conditions and especially respiratory issues) are going stir crazy locked up in their house. They hate that my sisters who live close by won't bring over the grandkids anymore. One sister said "my kids are little and still LITERALLY lick stuff.... that is definitely not social distancing!!"

So, I think we are fine. Hope everyone else is doing well as well.... Hope the PANIC phase ends soon and that we do some rational planning .... (Sorry, trying not to go political) I think the idea of a National One Size Fits All solution to this is ridiculous, and honestly HURTING us more than helping. The shear size of our country HELPS us in this case ... as we are likely to have REGIONAL HOT SPOTS that are time phased differently, and we COULD and SHOULD be shifting resources from areas that NOT impact (yet) to areas that are impacted ... Shutting down some national stuff, but keeping regions that are currently NOT HOT fully functioning (and maybe running overtime) to support the regions that are HOT. Shutting down everything at the same time is NOT the right approach in my mind.

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » March 22nd, 2020, 4:03 pm

So far my wife and I are doing fine. We are both retired and are staying home, except a rare trip by my wife the store for food items for us or her mother. Everyone be safe and stay home if you can.
God, Country, Notre Dame

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » March 24th, 2020, 12:00 pm

The FCC requires us to be open so, I'm working alone, with no sales people. And then going home. Our city and state are not shut down because we have morons in our government.
“ if Miami wants to fight after the game, I need one favor. Save Jimmy Johnson’s ass for me”

Lou Holtz

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » March 24th, 2020, 9:44 pm

I haven't been around in a few months. However dropped by to see how you all are. I IM from here on occasion to folks that I don't have any other way of keeping in touch with.

I'm working from home. My daughter has one college class this semester and would come home but she's working in a PT office and they stay open for patients. They have kept her so she is working 40+ hours a week and is sure she will get sick. Son is doing classes from home. Every student in HS has a computer so classes are online via Zoom. I am working from home and the wife has schools shut down, so she's been trying to keep busy. We didn't stock up, but did buy a few things. And are getting by fine.
6-3. Mission accomplished.

Postby Michigan Grad » March 25th, 2020, 7:45 am

This is a crazy time for all of us lately.
I had an uncle on my father's side of the family pass away at 2 years of age from the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918-1920, so I've heard stories about how everyone dealt with that pandemic from relatives on my father's side.
Our media has made this pandemic seem 1,000 times worse, which contradicts the data being shared globally, so I'm taking the "wait and see" approach before condemning our media at this point.

This is day 10 of working from home.
I am taking a mandatory vacation week April 6th-10th, 2020.
Michigan is on "Stay at Home" lockdown and the rumor is that it will be extended past the April 13th, 2020 deadline.
All automotive plants are closed and will remain closed until at least April 6th, 2020.

I've only left the hour for 45 minutes to buy groceries within the last 12 days because Diana is at a higher risk with her being diabetic.
I would never forgive myself for putting her at undo risk by being stupid.
I can't wait for the weather to warm up so we can "self isolate" out on our boat in Lake Huron or Lake Erie for a week. :mrgreen:
Coaching is my passion:
Hockey - Michigan Flyers Special Needs Hockey Club
Football - Cardinal Mooney High School

Captain Patriotic Analogy

Postby Seattle Irish » March 28th, 2020, 11:39 pm

All good on this Western front. The wife had surgery on her right foo 2/3, 6 weeks non weight bearing. Now she is in an aircast/walking boot. We are doing PT to try and get her walking with her walker again.The problem with MD is that it is hard to maintain if you are not using it. So I have plenty to keep me busy.

His Noliness

Postby Aloha Nole » March 29th, 2020, 4:55 am

I'm doing fine.

The wife and I are both declared "essential", so it is business as usual (for now).
Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, author of "Lone Survivor," described Navy Seal Medal of Honor recipient LT Michael Murphy as "An iron-souled warrior of colossal and almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy."

Ack! Ththbbthttbt!

Postby Willie the Wildcat » March 30th, 2020, 8:30 am

Central Kansas, doing well. We just went to statewide "Safer" At Home over the weekend. Work (Auto Dealership) is deemed essential; sales floor is shuttered to walk in traffic though, only phone in or internet leads, sales by appointment. We're going to limit all but a handful to 30 hours in order to avoid any benefit questions down the road, the service side is only a little off pace so far, but we'll see what Stay At Home brings.

Wife is a hospice and homecare case manager/travel nurse, seeing clients mostly in their homes. They are still operating that way, albeit with a lot more restrictions. Their biggest limiting factor will come down to PPE, right now they are holding their own as they are affiliated with a regional hospital - up until such time as the hospital might get overwhelmed.

I am on the board of our local Meals on Wheels, and we've had to make some adjustments, but so far so good. We have the support of our local medical community to continue to operate - that includes the local hospital that makes the meals and where our volunteers pick up and return. That's been the biggest adjustment, that entire process is now occurring outside the building. So far our volunteer base has maintained - actually increased a little - which has been our biggest worry.

Postby shake down » April 2nd, 2020, 11:09 pm

I am in Indianapolis and we are projected as the on the next hot spots. Wife and I are both retired and have been for a few years. So we are both used to use to finding things to occupy our time. My wife and her sewing group have been making masks for a few of the local hospitals that are short of masks. Grocery stories are a mad house, shelves are empty of all most everything. We are stocked up on supplies, so no worries about that. Only go out to walk the dog.
Stay safe everyone
Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy - January 20th 1961

Next

Return to Free For All