Register

Mark Dantonio steps down as coach at Michigan St

This is the one to use if you want to talk about general college football topics.
The Postmaster General

Mark Dantonio steps down as coach at Michigan St

Postby Dubby » February 4th, 2020, 5:23 pm

Michigan State's Mark Dantonio announced Tuesday that he's stepping down from his role as the Spartans' head coach.

Dantonio coached Michigan State for 13 seasons, leading the program to three Big Ten championships, a Rose Bowl victory and a College Football Playoff berth. He won more games than any coach in program history. His past few years have been marred by controversy.

"After much reflection and discussion with my family, I feel that it is now time for a change as we enter into a new decade of Michigan State Football," Dantonio, 63, said in a statement. "... I will miss it all but feel the sacrifices that I have made away from my family must now become my priority at this time in my life."

A news conference is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. ET.

Dantonio -- along with Michigan State's athletic director and university president -- said he expected to stay with the team at the conclusion of the 2019 football season. He collected a $4.3 million retention bonus in the middle of January.

Defensive coordinator Mike Tressel has been named the Spartans' acting head coach as the school searches for a permanent replacement.

Dantonio's retirement announcement came one day after his former recruiting director, Curtis Blackwell, filed claims that Dantonio committed NCAA recruiting violations as part of an ongoing lawsuit. The new filing alleges that Dantonio helped arrange employment for the parents of two high-profile recruits. Blackwell also says that Dantonio took him on recruiting trips to a high-profile recruit's home, which is an NCAA violation.

Blackwell claimed in earlier filings for the same lawsuit that Dantonio ignored warning signs from his assistants in order to bring another recruit with a history of sexual violence to campus. That player, former defensive end Auston Robertson, was charged with sexually assaulting a teammate's girlfriend less than a year after he arrived on campus and is serving time in state prison.

Robertson was one of four members from Dantonio's 2016 recruiting class who was kicked off the team following charges of sexual assault. Three others -- Donnie Corley, Josh King and Demetric Vance -- pleaded to lesser charges after prosecutors said they assaulted a woman at a party in January 2017.

Dantonio has declined to answer any questions about the vetting process that let Robertson come to campus.

Dantonio's actions in addressing other sexual assault cases were also the subject of a January 2018 Outside the Lines report stating that since Dantonio's tenure began in 2007, at least 16 Michigan State football players had been accused of sexual assault or violence against women, according to interviews and public records obtained by Outside the Lines.

Dantonio said in his announcement Tuesday that he plans to continue to work with the athletic department at Michigan State in a "special projects" role that will help incoming and current players transition to their next challenges.
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Artist FKA SECRules

Re: Mark Dantonio steps down as coach at Michigan St

Postby MikeTheTiger » February 5th, 2020, 12:50 pm

Not buying that the investigation had nothing to do with this decision.

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » February 5th, 2020, 2:25 pm

MikeTheTiger wrote:Not buying that the investigation had nothing to do with this decision.

Me neither

Why step down if that had nothing to do with his decision?
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

Postby hammerhead » February 5th, 2020, 5:31 pm

"Dantonio's actions in addressing other sexual assault cases were also the subject of a January 2018 Outside the Lines report stating that since Dantonio's tenure began in 2007, at least 16 Michigan State football players had been accused of sexual assault or violence against women, according to interviews and public records obtained by Outside the Lines."

Anyone know how any of these 16 accusations sorted out? I'd never say that they can't be true, but "accusations' are easy to come by. In the last thirteen years has anything been decided on any of them?

Postby Michigan Grad » February 5th, 2020, 6:02 pm

As Steve Miller famously sang, "Go on, take the money and run!"

The handwriting was on the wall regarding his future at MSU, from his refusal to fire his "loyal" assistants who weren't getting the job done, recruiting questionable players who had run-ins with the law, and rumors about him not cooperating fully during the Nassar investigations and the subsequent Title IX probe of the athletic department.

He surpassed Biggie Munn and Duffy Daugherty in all-time wins at MSU and has been almost canonized by MSU students and alumni. The last 3 years have taken a bit of the luster off his resume' and legacy, but I'm sure he'll be remembered well in East Lansing. With Meyer and Dantonio gone, UofM fans don't have a coach to hate anymore.
Coaching is my passion:
Hockey - Plymouth Canton Hockey Association
Football - Cardinal Mooney High School

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » February 5th, 2020, 7:11 pm

MikeTheTiger wrote:Not buying that the investigation had nothing to do with this decision.

I'm not buying it, either.
God, Country, Notre Dame

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » February 6th, 2020, 11:13 am

I'm betting it had everything to do with it.

I'm hoping everybody that associated themselves with Nassar would step away.

That fake Izzo whould be next.
“ if Miami wants to fight after the game, I need one favor. Save Jimmy Johnson’s ass for me”

Lou Holtz

Return to Everything About College Football