Register

Independence Bowl announces tie-ins for 2020 through 2025

This is the one to use if you want to talk about general college football topics.
His Noliness

Postby Aloha Nole » January 31st, 2020, 2:52 pm

By Kevin Kelley - January 30, 2020

The Independence Bowl has set their tie-ins for the 2020 through 2025 seasons, the bowl announced on Thursday.

The new matchups will feature a rotation of schools from the Pac-12 Conference, American Athletic Conference, and Conference USA. Additionally, the Independence Bowl will feature the Army Black Knights in 2020, 2022, and 2024 and the BYU Cougars in 2021, 2023, and 2025, provided that those schools gain bowl eligibility in the respective seasons.

“I am extremely proud of the Independence Bowl leadership, and we are especially thankful to all of the new partners, as well as our long-time television partner, ESPN, for their help and support in putting together these exciting matchups for 2020-2025,” said Independence Bowl Foundation Chairman Art Carmody IV. “These new agreements will usher in an exciting new era for the Independence Bowl as we head into our 45th year, featuring a mixture of nationally recognized and regionally attractive brands.”

Below is a look at how the Independence Bowl matchups look through 2025:
•2020 – Army vs. Pac-12
•2021 – BYU vs. C-USA
•2022 – Army vs. AAC
•2023 – BYU vs. Pac-12
•2024 – Army vs. Pac-12
•2025 – BYU vs. C-USA

The BYU Cougars have an opportunity to play in the Cheez-It Bowl in Phoenix, Ariz., one time during their three-year agreement, per the release from the Independence Bowl.

As part of BYU’s agreement, the Cougars have an option to potentially participate in the Cheez-It Bowl in Arizona should its conference tie-ins (Big Ten and Big 12) be unable to provide an opponent – an option that can be exercised once during the during the three-year primary agreement with the Independence Bowl from 2020-2025.

The 2019 Walk-On’s Independence Bowl featured a matchup between the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs and the Miami Hurricanes at Independence Stadium in Shreveport, La. Louisiana Tech defeated Miami in that contest, 14-0, which was the first shutout in Independence Bowl history.

https://fbschedules.com/independence-bo ... ough-2025/
Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, author of "Lone Survivor," described Navy Seal Medal of Honor recipient LT Michael Murphy as "An iron-souled warrior of colossal and almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy."

The Artist FKA SECRules

Re: Independence Bowl announces tie-ins for 2020 through 202

Postby MikeTheTiger » February 1st, 2020, 12:26 am

Aloha Nole wrote:Independence Bowl announces tie-ins for 2020 through 2025

By Kevin Kelley - January 30, 2020

The Independence Bowl has set their tie-ins for the 2020 through 2025 seasons, the bowl announced on Thursday.

The new matchups will feature a rotation of schools from the Pac-12 Conference, American Athletic Conference, and Conference USA. Additionally, the Independence Bowl will feature the Army Black Knights in 2020, 2022, and 2024 and the BYU Cougars in 2021, 2023, and 2025, provided that those schools gain bowl eligibility in the respective seasons.

“I am extremely proud of the Independence Bowl leadership, and we are especially thankful to all of the new partners, as well as our long-time television partner, ESPN, for their help and support in putting together these exciting matchups for 2020-2025,” said Independence Bowl Foundation Chairman Art Carmody IV. “These new agreements will usher in an exciting new era for the Independence Bowl as we head into our 45th year, featuring a mixture of nationally recognized and regionally attractive brands.”

Below is a look at how the Independence Bowl matchups look through 2025:
•2020 – Army vs. Pac-12
•2021 – BYU vs. C-USA
•2022 – Army vs. AAC
•2023 – BYU vs. Pac-12
•2024 – Army vs. Pac-12
•2025 – BYU vs. C-USA

The BYU Cougars have an opportunity to play in the Cheez-It Bowl in Phoenix, Ariz., one time during their three-year agreement, per the release from the Independence Bowl.

As part of BYU’s agreement, the Cougars have an option to potentially participate in the Cheez-It Bowl in Arizona should its conference tie-ins (Big Ten and Big 12) be unable to provide an opponent – an option that can be exercised once during the during the three-year primary agreement with the Independence Bowl from 2020-2025.

The 2019 Walk-On’s Independence Bowl featured a matchup between the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs and the Miami Hurricanes at Independence Stadium in Shreveport, La. Louisiana Tech defeated Miami in that contest, 14-0, which was the first shutout in Independence Bowl history.

https://fbschedules.com/independence-bo ... ough-2025/

I like the idea of the rotating bowl tie-ins. It would be nice to see something like the NY6 concept extended to blocks of bowls at lower levels as well, so that the same teams and conferences are going to the same bowls year-after-year.

His Noliness

Postby Aloha Nole » February 1st, 2020, 3:52 am

MikeTheTiger wrote:, so that the same teams and conferences are going to the same bowls year-after-year.

I think you meant that the same teams/Conferences aren't going to the same bowls year-after-year

And I agree 100%.
Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, author of "Lone Survivor," described Navy Seal Medal of Honor recipient LT Michael Murphy as "An iron-souled warrior of colossal and almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy."

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » February 3rd, 2020, 4:21 pm

Aloha Nole wrote:
MikeTheTiger wrote:, so that the same teams and conferences are going to the same bowls year-after-year.

I think you meant that the same teams/Conferences aren't going to the same bowls year-after-year

And I agree 100%.

Ditto for me.

I for one think the Bowl sponsors would be pleasantly surprised if they did that.

They're boneheads because they thinks All B% teams = following totally bogus

You need match-ups that generate local interest along with vying for some programs including the mid majors who draw well.

Some match-ups, plus bad locations with fickle fanbases that don't draw interest and you're looking at tons of empty seats on TV.
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » February 13th, 2020, 9:46 am

Totally agree that rotating teams into different bowl games is a great way to increase attendance and have better bowl games....

Rotating Bowl Tie-ins is one approach, but I think there a other approaches as well.

The NY6 bowls are essentially a "bowl draft" and that seems to working pretty well. I'd love to see that expanded to ALL the bowls. Rotating Bowl Tie-Ins is perhaps a step in that directions.

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » February 13th, 2020, 6:00 pm

Xenon, the issue is balancing fairness and good matchups with conferences trying to guarantee a certain level of payout. A pure bowl draft would never get conference but-in.

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » February 14th, 2020, 4:14 pm

MikeTheTiger wrote:Xenon, the issue is balancing fairness and good matchups with conferences trying to guarantee a certain level of payout. A pure bowl draft would never get conference but-in.

Exactly why I keep preaching its DOA to talk about it

I get its Xenon What If but, it not practical to ones calling the shots

I went a step further a good friend mine works in ATL sports talk Radio and is involved with Peach Bowl Committee for number of events and marketing

We talked about bowl tie ins and he laid out just what MTT just said

The conferences want that guarantee revenue that the tie-in drive Keeps your Member teams Very happy to share in the wealth every year

No conference is going to cutoff guarantee revenues for a Bowl draft

Why try to fix something that is not broken in the eyes of B5?
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

Return to Everything About College Football