Register

CFP National Championship Game

This is the one to use if you want to talk about general college football topics.
His Noliness

CFP National Championship Game

Postby Aloha Nole » January 4th, 2020, 4:23 am

#1 (14-0) LSU vs. #3 (14-0) Clemson

8:00 – 1/13/2020
Mercedes-Benz Superdome
New Orleans, LA
Coverage: ESPN

Line: LSU -5 ½
O/U: 69 ½
Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, author of "Lone Survivor," described Navy Seal Medal of Honor recipient LT Michael Murphy as "An iron-souled warrior of colossal and almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy."

His Noliness

Re: CFP National Championship Game

Postby Aloha Nole » January 4th, 2020, 4:24 am

Clemson is (1-2) against LSU

Average score: Clemson 10.7 - LSU 13.7

Per decade
W L T PFPG PAPG
2010's 1 0 0 25.0 24.0
2000's 0 0 0 0 0
1990's 0 1 0 7.0 10.0
1980's 0 0 0 0 0
1970's 0 0 0 0 0
1960's 0 0 0 0 0
1950's 0 1 0 0.0 7.0

All games
2012/12/31 Clemson 25 - LSU 24 W !! Chick-fil-A Bowl !!
1996/12/28 Clemson 7 - LSU 10 L !! Peach Bowl !!
1959/01/01 Clemson 0 - LSU 7 L !! Sugar Bowl !!
Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, author of "Lone Survivor," described Navy Seal Medal of Honor recipient LT Michael Murphy as "An iron-souled warrior of colossal and almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy."

The luckiest man in the world

Postby *YNC* Griff » January 4th, 2020, 5:20 am

When is the pickem closeout due for these last 2 games?

His Noliness

Postby Aloha Nole » January 4th, 2020, 8:10 am

Griff wrote:When is the pickem closeout due for these last 2 games?

Saturday, January 11, 2020

12:00 - FCS Championship Game

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » January 8th, 2020, 3:24 pm

*YNC* Aloha Nole wrote:
Griff wrote:When is the pickem closeout due for these last 2 games?

Saturday, January 11, 2020

12:00 - FCS Championship Game

I'll give the Dubby KOD to North Dakota and Clemson

Been my year in pick-em :wall:
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » January 14th, 2020, 12:23 am

LSU 42 Clemson 25. What an amazing season! LSU’s resume is probably the best ever and they closed it with utter dominance over the last 4 games. Thank you, Joe Burrow. Thank you, Coach O. What a ride.

The Green Jersey

Postby irish 78 » January 14th, 2020, 12:30 am

Congratulations. Great game by LSU and great season. They earned it, beating a lot of good teams.

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » January 14th, 2020, 7:13 am

Congrats Mike !!! Awesome season, great CFP run, totally dominating performance ....

First three drives, nothing clicked .... BUT your Tigers made awesome adjustments, and then had dominant drive after drive where they looked unstoppable (and nearly were, with 3 of 4 drives resulting in long touchdown runs to close out the half!!)

That was a great game .... for NOT panicking in the first few minutes when things were not working which I think is really really hard in SUCH A HYPED UP atmosphere and then for making the adjustments to make it all work soooo well and look soooo impressive.

Congrats

Must have been a super fun year to watch them build to such an incredible championship run!!!

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » January 14th, 2020, 9:27 am

Xenon wrote:Congrats Mike !!! Awesome season, great CFP run, totally dominating performance ....

First three drives, nothing clicked .... BUT your Tigers made awesome adjustments, and then had dominant drive after drive where they looked unstoppable (and nearly were, with 3 of 4 drives resulting in long touchdown runs to close out the half!!)

That was a great game .... for NOT panicking in the first few minutes when things were not working which I think is really really hard in SUCH A HYPED UP atmosphere and then for making the adjustments to make it all work soooo well and look soooo impressive.

Congrats

Must have been a super fun year to watch them build to such an incredible championship run!!!

I have to say that sitting at 17-7 I wasn't feeling great. Two of the big fears I had going into the game were that Swinney and Venables would outcoach the LSU staff and that LSU wouldn't know how to face adversity having never faced a deficit of more than 7 points all year (and having tied the game on the very next drive in all but one instance when they fell behind). Well, they passed both those tests with flying colors. Swinney and Venables did have the better game plan coming into the game, but the LSU staff on both sides of the ball made amazing adjustments to completely turn the game around and outscore Clemson 35-8 the rest of the way. They did not panic facing an unfamiliar position being down 10. They just made plays and quickly got back into it. I loved the gutsy call on a QB draw with no timeouts and 20 seconds left in the half. They knew Clemson would be overplaying the boundaries and they took advantage of it knowing that Burrow would be smart enough to not to get caught in bounds short of the marker. The TD on that drive was the key score in the game.

It absolutely was a fun ride this year. I have always scoffed at fans crowing about beating teams that were highly ranked at the time the game was played only to turn out to be overrated. What I never fully appreciated until this season was that ranking at game time does matter from a fan experience perspective (and also for building team confidence and character). I still got the joy of beating a Top 10 team on the road, even if Texas ended up being a marginal Top 25 team. The team still felt the pressure of facing and beating a Top 10 team in a hostile environment. 7 times this year, I was blessed with the excitement of a battle of Top 10 teams and 7 times I came away with the joy of a victory. 7 times LSU had to step up and prove their worth and 7 times they came away brimming with more and more confidence. No team has ever been so battle tested and no team has ever proven their worth so resoundingly time after time like they did. As mentioned above, only once did they trail by more than 7, only once did they trail at half, only once did they face an opponent down by only one score in the 4th quarter in possession of the ball, and they never trailed in the 4th quarter. They finished it off by beating 4 teams by the largest margin those teams lost all year (and by a significant margin), scoring more points against those teams than they had given up all year and holding 3 of the 4 to their lowest point total of the season (with Clemson's 25 only 4 points more than their season low). They would not have become that team without the early tests. I hate to see it come to an end, but I will savory the sweet taste of victory throughout the offseason and remember the greatness of this team and this season for a lifetime.

The Turnover Chain

Postby GR82BACANE » January 14th, 2020, 11:32 am

Pac 12 officials are pathetic. How they allowed a Pac 12 group to call the championship game is incredible. They blew so many calls. The PI at the end was real bad but not as bad missing the LSU RB down with his hands out of bounds and giving him an extra 15 yards on the play. Everyone I was watching with knew he was out of bounds how they didn't see it or review it is beyond me.

There were numerous other bad calls that went both ways but these 2 were beyond bad.

Next

Return to Everything About College Football