Register

Big 12 revenues likely to pass $40M per school

This is the one to use if you want to talk about general college football topics.
The Postmaster General

Big 12 revenues likely to pass $40M per school

Postby Dubby » June 1st, 2019, 1:05 pm

IRVING, Texas -- Big 12 revenues are up again and expected to surpass $40 million per school annually before the current media rights deal runs out in about five years.

Commissioner Bob Bowlsby says each university was receiving $38.8 million for 2018-19, or a total of $388 million in the 10-team conference. That's about a 6 percent increase over last year. It is the 13th consecutive year of a revenue increase for the Big 12.

The figures announced Friday as the league wrapped up its spring meetings don't include third-tier broadcast rights, such as what Texas gets through the Longhorn Network. Those totals vary by school.

Bowlsby said he anticipates Big 12 revenue reaching the mid-$40 million range per school before the TV rights deal expires in 2024-25. Bowlsby said the league has seen an increase of about 55 percent over the past five years.

The Big 12 revenue ranks third behind the Big Ten and the SEC.

I hope this ends the "What if" Oklahoma is bolting that seems pop up here. B12 is 3rd in revenues of the B5 schools. There no reason whatsoever for OU or Texas to even consider leaving this golden goose.

13 straight years of revenues increases and 6% over last year

That includes years of losing Nebraska to the B10 and Missouri and ATM to SEC and the B12 is doing just fine
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The X-Man Cometh

Re: Big 12 revenues likely to pass $40M per school

Postby Xenon » June 3rd, 2019, 10:31 pm

On the flip side ...

"Pac-12 Networks: Budget projections show decline in revenue, flat year-over-year payouts to the schools
The budget illuminates the networks’ long-shrouded finance"
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/04/23/ ... e-schools/

"Pac-12 teams are seeing drastically lower payouts than expected from Pac-12 Networks
We knew things were bad with the Pac-12 Network, and we still may have been giving them too much credit."
https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/pac-12 ... works.html

"Pac-12 Networks project a six percent drop in revenue, flat per-school distributions still below their initial worst-case projection
The Pac-12 Networks' total revenue is expected to drop six percent ($8.1 million) year-over-year in 2019, with net advertising revenue falling 22 percent and digital revenue plummeting 30 percent."
https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/pac-12 ... venue.html

-----

I don't know what to make of those reports....
When the whole conference shuffle starting happening, And the BigEast died (at least for football), I really thought the ACC was in trouble.

I STILL think that 5 Major Conferences with 4 Championship Bowl Bids is unstable long term .....

So I thought the ACC was likely to be in trouble, squeezed between BigTen and SEC ... but the ACC seems to be doing fine after all...
So then it looked like the BigXII was in trouble ... but as pointed out, they are doing fine as well.

BUT the Pac12 ... which looked really secure since geography protected them from losing schools and gave them clear dominance over lots of TV Markets ... is evidently NOT nearly as secure as they look....

So rather than the PAC-12 poaching Texas and Oklahoma .... might the BigXII poach USC and Stanford (or UCLA?).... Those three could bring more than $40M to the BigXII and increase everyone's payouts.

Ack! Ththbbthttbt!

Postby Willie the Wildcat » June 4th, 2019, 10:33 am

Without going digging for specific numbers, last year KSU added about $4.5 M for their Tier3 rights and $10M total above the conference distribution for those Tier 3 rights, radio, and "licensing". A note on the Tier 3 rights: the B12 just a couple weeks ago announced an "enhanced" grant of rights to ESPN for the streaming on EPSN+ for appears would be those Tier 3 games. There's not a lot of solid info as to what it exactly means regarding Tier 3 for the schools or where its content is coming from. It almost sounds like a pseudo conference network, at least for digital streaming, but I can't imagine Texas would totally give up the Longhorn network. For KSU, it seems since our T3 stuff was mostly digital streaming already, its just a different home for our content.

https://www.kstatesports.com/news/2019/ ... ement.aspx

Overall, I think all the P5 conferences are not as attractive as they were in terms of makeup as they were before the last merry-go-round.

I can't imagine Stanford would ever look to the Big12, too many cultural disconnects between the two. Essentially the same for any California school with state gov't travel restrictions based on political/cultural differences. Even if the state would want to make exceptions for university sports, I think there would be too much populist pressure to make it a viable choice.

The Arizona schools, however....

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » June 4th, 2019, 11:01 am

Xenon wrote:
I STILL think that 5 Major Conferences with 4 Championship Bowl Bids is unstable long term

There no data to support this

There plenty of data to help support not expanding beyond 4 teams the current model is just fine. Lots of squawking but, nothing out there will make them push beyond 4 teams right now.
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » June 9th, 2019, 9:52 am

Dubby wrote:
Xenon wrote:
I STILL think that 5 Major Conferences with 4 Championship Bowl Bids is unstable long term

There plenty of data to help support not expanding beyond 4 teams the current model is just fine. Lots of squawking but, nothing out there will make them push beyond 4 teams right now.

I agree, Dubby. I don't see any impetus to expand beyond 4, now.
God, Country, Notre Dame

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » June 15th, 2019, 9:57 pm

Domer wrote:
Dubby wrote:
Xenon wrote:

I DO NOT think expanding is the likely option .... I think contraction is the more likely scenario. I expect that similar to the BigEast, somehow two or three of the P5 will pluck a couple of team out of one of the P5s to end up with P4.

It looked like it was going to be the BigXII that would die, as the BigTen took Nebraska and SEC took TA&M .... but the BigXII survived. The BigEast died, the BigXII survived.... so the data say we have about a 50% survival rate when healthy conferences raid struggling conferences.....

Let's say ... (A Hated by Dubby What IF) ... USC left the PAC-12 for either independence or the BigXII (or maybe the BigTen?) WOuld the PAC-12 survive? Maybe. What if USC and Stanford left? OR USC and Oregon left .... I think that would kill the PAC-12. They are struggling now .... A conference of Oregon State and Colorado and Washington State is NOT going live as Power Conference.

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » June 15th, 2019, 9:57 pm

Domer wrote:
Dubby wrote:
Xenon wrote:

I DO NOT think expanding is the likely option .... I think contraction is the more likely scenario. I expect that similar to the BigEast, somehow two or three of the P5 will pluck a couple of team out of one of the P5s to end up with P4.

It looked like it was going to be the BigXII that would die, as the BigTen took Nebraska and SEC took TA&M .... but the BigXII survived. The BigEast died, the BigXII survived.... so the data say we have about a 50% survival rate when healthy conferences raid struggling conferences.....

Let's say ... (A Hated by Dubby What IF) ... USC left the PAC-12 for either independence or the BigXII (or maybe the BigTen?) WOuld the PAC-12 survive? Maybe. What if USC and Stanford left? OR USC and Oregon left .... I think that would kill the PAC-12. They are struggling now .... A conference of Oregon State and Colorado and Washington State is NOT going live as Power Conference.

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » June 16th, 2019, 11:08 pm

Xenon wrote:

We're talking about 4 team playoff format not going anywhere anytime soon and its not

Neither is Big 5 conference

You thought the Big X11 was going to die without Nebraska, ATM and Missouri

Its number 3 in revenues and still growing has year over year despite losing those three

The ACC is surely not in any trouble and neither is PAC 12

So their no contraction on the Horizon on B5. Bigger is not better it dilutes the shared revenue pool something the ACC hates in basketball

They're adding more Bowls in the coming years so revenues streams are fine football wise

The West Coast teams you're speaking like PAC-12 and are not looking for greener pastures please by all means go ahead and google that. No squawking and Oklahoma President has made clear they don't want to share the exploding revenues by expanding as they foresaw the growth the B12 is experiences when they killed the last plan to add teams. They'll kill any talk of add players unless they bringing ton of added revenue. SC for example unless they're winning doesn't draw well football wise 10-2/11-1 SC draws 90,000+ home crowds, anything short of that and its 60,000 and lots of empty seats

The B12 got CCG another money maker without going back to 12 teams they're doing just fine they're getting teams in CFP. No interest in expanding there.

The Turnover Chain

Postby GR82BACANE » June 24th, 2019, 12:00 pm

And thanks to the ACC Network I can see all the Miami games.

Return to Everything About College Football