Register

ROSE BOWL GAME PRESENTED BY (INSERT CORPORATE SPONSOR HERE)

This is the one to use if you want to talk about general college football topics.

ROSE BOWL GAME PRESENTED BY (INSERT CORPORATE SPONSOR HERE)

Postby Jake » January 1st, 2019, 7:01 pm

No sign of Dubby, so here's the thread.

Ohio State 21
Washington 3

halftime

No, I'm not surprised. The best QB in the country now has 50 TD passes, but congrats to the baseball player from Oklahoma on winning the Heisman. That 38% of Heisman voters didn't even have Haskins on their ballot (top 3) is laughable. :roll:

Re: ROSE BOWL GAME PRESENTED BY (INSERT CORPORATE SPONSOR HE

Postby Jake » January 1st, 2019, 7:20 pm

Ohio State 28
Washington 3

3rd quarter

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » January 1st, 2019, 7:36 pm

Using first half results of a bowl game to question the Heisman winner is a new one.

Right now, the results of the Rose Bowl is as much due to Ohio State's defense as it is due to Haskin's play. Haskin's is playing well, but so is the defense. However it's not surprising that Washington is struggling on offense as Jake Browning has a history of folding like a cheap suit in big games.
Make GASF Great Again!

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » January 1st, 2019, 7:47 pm

SO .... how do you evaluate the PAC-12 ....

Is Washington or WashState the best team in the PAC-12 .... WSU won their bowl game..... UW is getting killed.....

Is Washington a Top Ten Team? Do you ranked WSU higher than Washington or not?

I think if Washington and WSU played NOT in a snow storm .... WSU probably wins 50% of the time....

Postby Iconoclast » January 1st, 2019, 7:55 pm

Xenon wrote:SO .... how do you evaluate the PAC-12 ....

Is Washington or WashState the best team in the PAC-12 .... WSU won their bowl game..... UW is getting killed.....

I think if Washington and WSU played NOT in a snow storm .... WSU probably wins 50% of the time....

Washington is not playing poorly, Ohio State is just playing great. Last game for Meyer, it's not surprising that Ohio State is playing a spirited game.
Make GASF Great Again!

Postby Iconoclast » January 1st, 2019, 8:43 pm

Rough day for the refs. Not sure that last TD for UW was the right call. And early in the game they allowed Ohio State to sub on defense when UW was playing uptempo and didn't sub. Total screwup by the refs. And the announcers weren't much better.
Make GASF Great Again!

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » January 1st, 2019, 8:44 pm

That last TD for Washington .... must drive some bettors nuts .... TWO pass interference calls and a ball that never actually broke the plane but was called "stands" ....

tOSU went way to conservative in the last quarter ....

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » January 2nd, 2019, 1:01 am

Xenon wrote:SO .... how do you evaluate the PAC-12 ....

They should probably be close to each other in the final rankings, but neither is a Top 10 team. Somewhere in the 15-20 range. WSU only beat Iowa St because of ISU's mistakes and played no one in their non-conference schedule. Washington lost to Auburn and Ohio St. Oregon and Stanford also squeaked by in their bowl wins despite being outplayed against less than overwhelming competition. There just aren't any signature wins out there for the Pac-12. They probably aren't quite as bad as perception, but their top teams definitely belong behind the top team in the other major conferences.

Postby Iconoclast » January 2nd, 2019, 1:26 am

I still don't believe that UW played that poorly. They were making plays throughout the game, it's just that Ohio State would not let them get any smash plays and eventually every UW drive would die out as Ohio State would come up with three solid defensive playes. Ohio State just showed signs of being a really well coached team, for much of the game they just didn't make mistakes.
Make GASF Great Again!

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » January 2nd, 2019, 7:59 am

I think that 4th quarter tOSU played tooo conservatively and UW played "all out" and made it look alot closer than it really was. UW also was the beneficiary of some calls that really helped them out alot.

UW started going for ever riskier plays and in the 4th quarter, alot of those panned out for them .... In part because they were high risk / high reward plays and in part because tOSU went very conservative which let alot of those plays work. In the first half, it looked to me like UW wanted to protect QB, and so kept more protection in .... and the 4th quarter they said we can't risk that anymore, and left him pretty exposed, sending everyone out into the patterns. I bet Browning is pretty sore this morning. I don't think they could have taken that risk in the first half and kept him in the game the whole time ... but in the fourth down by 25 you can try almost anything.

Return to Everything About College Football