Register

Bowl Invites

This is the one to use if you want to talk about general college football topics.
The X-Man Cometh

Re: Bowl Invites

Postby Xenon » December 2nd, 2018, 4:01 pm

I'd love others ideas on how to make a Bowl Draft work....

I see it kind of as stages....

Top 6 - NY6 - More or less the way it is right now. The main thing I'd like to change is to make the CFP selection MORE OBJECTIVE and less subjective. The CFP chair says that "winning the Conference was more important than SOS" in selecting Oklahoma over Ohio State or Georgia. FINE ... BUT that should be DEFINED and QUANTIFIED somehow BEFORE the season. ONE good element of the BCS was you KNEW before the season that factors X and Y are important. I don't like the "smokey back room" element of the selection committee.

Next 6 - National Bowls... Big National Bowls like Citrus, Outback, Holiday, Alamo, etc. A Bowl Draft. You rank the next 6 somehow. Maybe it's a rotating thing like the NY6 between the next six bowls. I'd require these to select from the CFP ranking pool (which at 25 is just enough ... maybe expand the CFP poll to 30 for the final ranking?)

Next ... Regional Bowls ... 4 sets of regional Bowls of 7 bowls in each regional pool. In these pools, you have to select from the best records first, or within 2 wins/losses of the best records available. So as long as 9 win teams are available, the 6 wins teams are NOT available to selected. As soon as all the 9 win teams are selected, 6 win teams are eligible. As soon as all 8 win teams are selected, 5 win teams are eligible if needed.

I see the regional bowls as several independent bowl drafts. One for the West, One for the Midwest, 1 in the south, 1 for the north. If the top bowls in the regional bowls want to negotiate a regional swap and send a top team to another region to increase national interest, that can be negotiated, either by the bowls or come kind of committee for each regional bowl.

But I'd love to get suggestions...

His Noliness

Postby *YNC* Aloha Nole » December 2nd, 2018, 4:03 pm

Saturday, December 15, 2018
2:00 - Gildan New Mexico Bowl (10-2) Utah State vs. (9-3) North Texas (in Albuquerque, NM) (ESPN)
2:30 - AutoNation Cure Bowl (7-5) Louisiana vs. (6-6) Tulane (in Orlando, FL) (CBSSN)
5:30 - Raycom Media Camellia Bowl (9-3) Georgia Southern vs. (7-5) Eastern Michigan (in Montgomery, AL) (ESPN)

Tuesday, December 18, 2018
7:00 - Cheribundi Tart Cherry Boca Raton Bowl (10-3) UAB vs. (8-5) Northern Illinois (in Boca Raton, FL) (ESPN)

Wednesday, December 19, 2018
8:00 - DXL Frisco Bowl (8-4) Ohio vs. (7-5) San Diego State (in Frisco, TX) (ESPN)

Thursday, December 20, 2018
8:00 - Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl (8-4) Marshall vs. (7-5) South Florida (in Tampa, FL)
Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, author of "Lone Survivor," described Navy Seal Medal of Honor recipient LT Michael Murphy as "An iron-souled warrior of colossal and almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy."

His Noliness

Postby *YNC* Aloha Nole » December 2nd, 2018, 4:08 pm

Friday, December 21, 2018
4:00 - Famous Idaho Potato Bowl (7-5) Western Michigan vs. (6-6) BYU (in Boise, ID) (ESPN)

Saturday, December 22, 2018

3:30 - Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl (8-4) Houston vs. (10-2) Army (in Fort Worth, TX) (ESPN)
Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, author of "Lone Survivor," described Navy Seal Medal of Honor recipient LT Michael Murphy as "An iron-souled warrior of colossal and almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy."

His Noliness

Postby *YNC* Aloha Nole » December 2nd, 2018, 4:11 pm

Friday, December 28, 2018
5:15 - Camping World Bowl (8-3) West Virginia vs. (9-3) Syracuse (in Orlando, FL) (ESPN)
9:00 - Valero Alamo Bowl (8-4) Iowa State vs. (10-2) Washington State (in San Antonio, TX) (ESPN)

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » December 2nd, 2018, 4:12 pm

Dubby wrote:
Aloha Nole wrote:I agree with that Xenon. I think it would serve a lot better than the tie-ins.

And I like the idea of it being based off of pay-outs. In fact, I'd like to see not only the selection being done by payout, but the time slot also going by payout as well.

Not going to happen the sponsorships aligns with power five conferences

That where your bowl monies come from.

Your sponsors along NC2A set the rules and they want power 5 dominating bowl slots

So while bowl draft sounds like nice ideal. The ones paying the bills don't want that.

I'd love to hear why you think this blocks a Bowl Draft?

It's the same teams going... I'm not changing the teams or the team requirements. I'm sure it will still be dominated by P5 teams. Every P5 team that gets to 6 wins will have slot somewhere.

I think some elements of the bowl selection process seem to be going this way. There is some bowl that I read had it's tie-ins something like "ACC if ACC team is ranked higher than BigTen and SEC teams, otherwise BigTen and SEC" or something like that. That is kind of a Bowl Draft, just one bowl and maybe three teams.
The ACC I think has the "tier system" in their bowl tie-ins... These three bowls gets ACC teams, and the exact order and assignment is assigned AFTER the season, in order to maximize attendance and interest and minimize travel. THAT is a 3 bowl "bowl draft" just within the ACC.
I saw several others that are starting to have "5 different teams in 6 years" as part of the selection. WHY? to get more variety and not have the same team over and over. THAT is kind of a bowl draft sort of, over several years. But that expresses itself each year I think as the bowl saying "We want Team B, since we had Team A last year".

As I said, the NY6 is mostly a bowl draft right now.

I don't see why a Bowl Draft would be any different to the sponsors. In fact, it INCREASES the chances of having THE BEST P5 teams possible every year, which sponsors should want.

To me .... a total mismatch bowl is NOT what the sponsors or the TV broadcasters want. TWO bowls with #27 playing #31 and #45 playing #49 is BETTER for BOTH BOWLS and for the sponsors and the TV than two bowls with #27 vs #45 and #31 vs #49 and two expected blow outs.

I know you have said in previous years that you don't think the sponsors would want it ... I'd love to hear more about WHY you think that....

His Noliness

Postby *YNC* Aloha Nole » December 2nd, 2018, 4:13 pm

Tuesday, January 1, 2019
1:00 - Citrus Bowl (9-3) Kentucky vs. (9-3) Penn State (in Orlando, FL) (ABC)

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » December 2nd, 2018, 4:16 pm

Xenon wrote:
Dubby wrote:
Aloha Nole wrote:I agree with that Xenon. I think it would serve a lot better than the tie-ins.

And I like the idea of it being based off of pay-outs. In fact, I'd like to see not only the selection being done by payout, but the time slot also going by payout as well.

Not going to happen the sponsorships aligns with power five conferences

That where your bowl monies come from.

Your sponsors along NC2A set the rules and they want power 5 dominating bowl slots

So while bowl draft sounds like nice ideal. The ones paying the bills don't want that.

I'd love to hear why you think this blocks a Bowl Draft?

It's the same teams going... I'm not changing the teams or the team requirements. I'm sure it will still be dominated by P5 teams. Every P5 team that gets to 6 wins will have slot somewhere.

I think some elements of the bowl selection process seem to be going this way. There is some bowl that I read had it's tie-ins something like "ACC if ACC team is ranked higher than BigTen and SEC teams, otherwise BigTen and SEC" or something like that. That is kind of a Bowl Draft, just one bowl and maybe three teams.
The ACC I think has the "tier system" in their bowl tie-ins... These three bowls gets ACC teams, and the exact order and assignment is assigned AFTER the season, in order to maximize attendance and interest and minimize travel. THAT is a 3 bowl "bowl draft" just within the ACC.
I saw several others that are starting to have "5 different teams in 6 years" as part of the selection. WHY? to get more variety and not have the same team over and over. THAT is kind of a bowl draft sort of, over several years. But that expresses itself each year I think as the bowl saying "We want Team B, since we had Team A last year".

As I said, the NY6 is mostly a bowl draft right now.

I don't see why a Bowl Draft would be any different to the sponsors. In fact, it INCREASES the chances of having THE BEST P5 teams possible every year, which sponsors should want.

To me .... a total mismatch bowl is NOT what the sponsors or the TV broadcasters want. TWO bowls with #27 playing #31 and #45 playing #49 is BETTER for BOTH BOWLS and for the sponsors and the TV than two bowls with #27 vs #45 and #31 vs #49 and two expected blow outs.

I know you have said in previous years that you don't think the sponsors would want it ... I'd love to hear more about WHY you think that....

I'll repeat

The sponsors working with NC2A are ones who want slots dominated by Power 5

The Power 5 don't want anything taking away from the current formula

In other words unless you can convince power 5 to give up current revenues

A bowl draft cutting in to their monies is not going to work
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » December 2nd, 2018, 4:19 pm

Aloha Nole wrote:Friday, December 21, 2018
4:00 - Famous Idaho Potato Bowl (7-5) Western Michigan vs. (6-6) BYU (in Boise, ID) (ESPN)

3:30 - Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl (8-4) Houston vs. (10-2) Army (in Fort Worth, TX) (ESPN)

Good news story for Army :thumbs:

They need to make sure Army or independents who have great seasons can always get slots
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » December 2nd, 2018, 4:21 pm

Aloha Nole wrote:Saturday, December 29, 2018
12:00 - Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl (9-3) florida vs. (10-2) Michigan (in Atlanta, GA) (ESPN)

Tuesday, January 1, 2019
1:00 - PlayStation Fiesta Bowl (9-3) LSU vs. (13-0) UCF (in Glendale, AZ) (ESPN)
5:00 - Rose Bowl Game Presented by Northwestern Mutual (12-1) Ohio State vs. (10-3) Washington (in Pasadena, CA) (ESPN)
8:45 - Allstate Sugar Bowl (11-2) Georgia vs. (9-4) Texas (in New Orleans, LA) (ESPN)

Sugar: Georgia is going to kill Texas.
Rose: Ohio State is going to kill Washington.
Fiesta: Kind of depends on UCF QB situation. Backup looked pretty good in come from behind win in AAC champ game. If he plays well with a month practice, UCF can probably keep it close. If he plays like it's his second start and gets overwhelmed, then LSU runs away with it.

Peach Bowl. I don't know any more. If Michigan's defense is really #1, then I think they win this. But tOSU really exposed the secondary, and Michigan lost ALOT of players in the tOSU game. Florida probably CAN exploit many of the issues that tOSU exposed as well. I think this one is going to be close.

His Noliness

Postby *YNC* Aloha Nole » December 2nd, 2018, 4:22 pm

Saturday, December 15, 2018
9:00 - R + L Carriers New Orleans Bowl (9-2) App State vs. (8-5) Middle Tennessee State (in New Orleans, LA) (ESPN)

7:00 - Dollar General Bowl (10-3) Buffalo vs. (9-3) Troy (In Mobile, AL) (ESPN)

PreviousNext

Return to Everything About College Football