Register

Ties?

Who's your favorite team? Favorite player? Favorite coach? What teams & players do you hate? Ladies and gentlemen, it's time to talk a little NFL football!
The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Ties?

Postby Iconoclast » September 18th, 2018, 2:48 pm

How is it we can go decades without seeing a tied game yet have them in back to back weeks this year? Sure, some awful place kicking contributed to this, but it's still a huge fluke that we have had two already through week 2. It will be interesting how this impacts playoff participants and seeding, if at all. However since it involves three teams that are playoff favorites, the ties are bound to have implications.
Everything good that's ever happened to me came out of helping others. Danny Trejo

The Turnover Chain

Re: Ties?

Postby GR82BACANE » September 19th, 2018, 10:41 am

Vikings -Packers game was easy Kickers sucked. 3 missed FG in OT. They need to go to starting at the 50 after the first 15 minutes expires. Tiers are ridiculous.

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » September 19th, 2018, 11:57 am

There were two ties in 2016 as well, though not in the first two weeks (but back-to-back in Weeks 7 and 8). There was only one tie from 1998 to 2007, but 6 years was the longest spell without one. While it did not contribute to either tie this season, the chance to match a FG on the opening drive has increased the frequency of ties since 2012 (happening 3 times). With OT now only lasting 10 minutes instead of 15, we will probably start to see even more.

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » September 19th, 2018, 1:42 pm

*YNC* MikeTheTiger wrote:There were two ties in 2016 as well, though not in the first two weeks (but back-to-back in Weeks 7 and 8). There was only one tie from 1998 to 2007, but 6 years was the longest spell without one. While it did not contribute to either tie this season, the chance to match a FG on the opening drive has increased the frequency of ties since 2012 (happening 3 times). With OT now only lasting 10 minutes instead of 15, we will probably start to see even more.

Thanks for the numbers Mike. I sure didn't remember the two from last year. I was being over the top when I said decades, but it's been rare to see two in a year and it was not uncommon to go years without having one. As to the rules change going to 10 minutes, I suspect that you are correct. I didn't realize they made that change. I recall the change about both teams getting the ball, unless the initial receiving team scored a TD. The combination of the two will likely lead to more ties.
Everything good that's ever happened to me came out of helping others. Danny Trejo

Return to NFL