Register

Movie, Popcorn ... A glass of WINE?

Literature, music, movies, TV, games, whatever! Use this forum for all creative outlets.
The X-Man Cometh

Movie, Popcorn ... A glass of WINE?

Postby Xenon » November 21st, 2015, 10:04 am

Ok, so Mrs. Xenon and I went to a movie last night (Bridge of Spies ... pretty fun) at a new theater in Santa Fe. We've never been there before. It was "different" ... but then again, that is Santa Fe's nickname ... "The City Different!"

So the theatre was pretty small overall (maybe 60 seats total)...
You had to reserve your seat in the movie theater ... which we have seen in other places recently, but not in New Mexico really yet.

BUT the seats were HUGE, with double armrests between the seats, with pull out food tables (like the bulkhead seats in planes) ....

There was a full BAR at the "concessions" stand, with lots of beers on tap, and a whole bunch of wines.....

So, come the start of movie, people are coming in, with a nice Glass of White Wine in one hand and bag of popcorn in the other, to watch the movie.....

Is this the trend in other places in the country too? Or is this something uniquely "Santa Fe"?

Personally, (since we don't drink) I hated it ... the theater stunk horribly ... I don't know if it was all the different smells mixed in a very negative way or what, but it not a pleasant experience.

The Unimpeachable Source

Re: Movie, Popcorn ... A glass of WINE?

Postby irishmark » November 23rd, 2015, 12:49 pm

Xenon wrote:Ok, so Mrs. Xenon and I went to a movie last night (Bridge of Spies ... pretty fun) at a new theater in Santa Fe. We've never been there before. It was "different" ... but then again, that is Santa Fe's nickname ... "The City Different!"

So the theatre was pretty small overall (maybe 60 seats total)...
You had to reserve your seat in the movie theater ... which we have seen in other places recently, but not in New Mexico really yet.

BUT the seats were HUGE, with double armrests between the seats, with pull out food tables (like the bulkhead seats in planes) ....

There was a full BAR at the "concessions" stand, with lots of beers on tap, and a whole bunch of wines.....

So, come the start of movie, people are coming in, with a nice Glass of White Wine in one hand and bag of popcorn in the other, to watch the movie.....

Is this the trend in other places in the country too? Or is this something uniquely "Santa Fe"?

Personally, (since we don't drink) I hated it ... the theater stunk horribly ... I don't know if it was all the different smells mixed in a very negative way or what, but it not a pleasant experience.

Pretty uniquely Sante Fe right now. But movie theatres have to do something. Netflix and co. have stolen their profits.
"I don't care if Pat Terrell is so wide open, you could walk up and hand him the football! Take the sack"!

Lou Holtz to Tony Rice.

Ack! Ththbbthttbt!

Postby Willie the Wildcat » November 24th, 2015, 9:44 am

Something like this?: Warren Theaters Oscar's Balcony

This is a theater group in Wichita and Oklahoma City. They've done this for 10 years or so. I remember a similar concept when I visited some friends in Dallas 20 or so years ago - but that was more of a one-off arthouse type of thing. The Warren's are multi screen cineplexes with one or two auditoriums at each location set up with the balcony amenities. Although they're about an hours drive for us, we regularly go there just because they're great facilities and top notch audio/video.

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » December 2nd, 2015, 5:11 pm

I don't think this is unique to Santa Fe. While they aren't common, a number of theaters, either one offs or small chains, offer these types of amenities. There aren't a lot of them around as I believe they are premium priced and more focused on adults. I think $11-$13 for a ticket is expensive and I'm sure these places are well above that. We went to The Peanuts movie last week as I wanted a good family movie for us all to go to. We went to the early special and it was $5.50 a ticket, so I was thrilled. The wife and I don't go to movies often and I don't see us dropping $40-$50 to go to one.
Make GASF Great Again!

Return to Arts & Entertainment