Register

Who signs Harper? Machado?

Who's the best 2nd baseman of all time? Should there be a salary cap? Should Pete Ro...er...some things have been talked about enough. Come talk MLB!
The Unimpeachable Source

Who signs Harper? Machado?

Postby irishmark » January 9th, 2019, 2:20 pm

Harper
Cubs
Yankees
Dodgers
Phillies
Nationals

Machado
White Sox
Yankees
Red Sox

I still believe the Cubs sign Harper to an insane contract after dumping Jason Heyward's contract. Giants are apparently interested.

I see the White Sox being a player for Machado but he'll eventually sign with the Yankees.
"I don't care if Pat Terrell is so wide open, you could walk up and hand him the football! Take the sack"!

Lou Holtz to Tony Rice.

The Artist FKA SECRules

Re: Who signs Harper? Machado?

Postby MikeTheTiger » January 9th, 2019, 10:51 pm

The talking heads are saying that Harper will stay with the Nats and Machado will go to the Yankees. I really have no way of knowing anything different. The fact that neither have signed yet leads me to believe that it isn't a done deal anywhere. There may be a leader but neither player is clearly satisfied with their best offer, so the door is open if anyone decides to sweeten the pot.

Thong

Postby bigearl » January 14th, 2019, 9:51 am

MikeTheTiger wrote:The talking heads are saying that Harper will stay with the Nats and Machado will go to the Yankees. I really have no way of knowing anything different. The fact that neither have signed yet leads me to believe that it isn't a done deal anywhere. There may be a leader but neither player is clearly satisfied with their best offer, so the door is open if anyone decides to sweeten the pot.

I think teams are starting to question the ludicrous contracts. Neither of these 2 will be worth anything near what they'll sign for.

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » January 21st, 2019, 12:45 pm

bigearl wrote:
MikeTheTiger wrote:The talking heads are saying that Harper will stay with the Nats and Machado will go to the Yankees. I really have no way of knowing anything different. The fact that neither have signed yet leads me to believe that it isn't a done deal anywhere. There may be a leader but neither player is clearly satisfied with their best offer, so the door is open if anyone decides to sweeten the pot.

I think teams are starting to question the ludicrous contracts. Neither of these 2 will be worth anything near what they'll sign for.

Boy do I agree with that.
"I don't care if Pat Terrell is so wide open, you could walk up and hand him the football! Take the sack"!

Lou Holtz to Tony Rice.

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » January 24th, 2019, 2:45 pm

irishmark wrote:
bigearl wrote:I think teams are starting to question the ludicrous contracts. Neither of these 2 will be worth anything near what they'll sign for.

I think you are both right about that, but the teams are also benefitting from younger players under their control who are making far less than they are worth. Both players have been worth far more than what they have made so far in their careers. If they aren't going to be made whole by being paid more than they are worth in their later years, then the economics of baseball are going to have to change. Players can't just sit back and allow teams to underpay them in their youth with nothing in return for it. Either they are going to need to put limits on the time teams have them under control or they are going to need some additional revenue sharing built into the CBA.

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » February 1st, 2019, 2:51 pm

MikeTheTiger wrote:
irishmark wrote:
bigearl wrote:I think teams are starting to question the ludicrous contracts. Neither of these 2 will be worth anything near what they'll sign for.

I think you are both right about that, but the teams are also benefitting from younger players under their control who are making far less than they are worth. Both players have been worth far more than what they have made so far in their careers. If they aren't going to be made whole by being paid more than they are worth in their later years, then the economics of baseball are going to have to change. Players can't just sit back and allow teams to underpay them in their youth with nothing in return for it. Either they are going to need to put limits on the time teams have them under control or they are going to need some additional revenue sharing built into the CBA.

Kris Bryant is making 10.85 million. I wish I was that underpaid. ;)

Lou Holtz to Tony Rice.

Return to MLB