Register

Jeter - The "Marlin"

Who's the best 2nd baseman of all time? Should there be a salary cap? Should Pete Ro...er...some things have been talked about enough. Come talk MLB!
Thong

Jeter - The "Marlin"

Postby bigearl » December 12th, 2017, 11:29 am

Wow.. Jeter is getting killed for basically gifting Stanton to NY for basically pennies on the dollar. I don't think he's used to people bashing him.. :lol:

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Re: Jeter - The "Marlin"

Postby Iconoclast » December 14th, 2017, 5:31 pm

Well, I think his hands were pretty tied on this one. Lauria signed Stanton to that monster deal and then gave him a no trade clause. So in essence, Stanton held the power in this one and there were only a few teams who have the money to absorb that monster contract. This was akin to Houston trading Osweiller and a draft pick to Cleveland for basically nothing in return. Cleveland just bought a draft pick. The Yankees just bought Stanton's contract. That's how I look at it anyway.

The move that I was more disappointed about was Ohtani choosing the Angels. I was hoping the Mariners would get him. I was hoping he would be the piece that could move them into the wild card. Sheesh, now they have to play against him and a formidable Angels team, but they have the reigning World Champions in there too and Texas can never be counted out. The AL West is just not an easy place to be the next few years if the M's are wanting to make the playoffs. They might have to dump Felix and grab a bunch of prospects and target the playoffs in two or three years.
Make GASF Great Again!

Thong

Postby bigearl » December 15th, 2017, 12:31 pm

Iconoclast wrote:Well, I think his hands were pretty tied on this one. Lauria signed Stanton to that monster deal and then gave him a no trade clause. So in essence, Stanton held the power in this one and there were only a few teams who have the money to absorb that monster contract. This was akin to Houston trading Osweiller and a draft pick to Cleveland for basically nothing in return. Cleveland just bought a draft pick. The Yankees just bought Stanton's contract. That's how I look at it anyway.

The move that I was more disappointed about was Ohtani choosing the Angels. I was hoping the Mariners would get him. I was hoping he would be the piece that could move them into the wild card. Sheesh, now they have to play against him and a formidable Angels team, but they have the reigning World Champions in there too and Texas can never be counted out. The AL West is just not an easy place to be the next few years if the M's are wanting to make the playoffs. They might have to dump Felix and grab a bunch of prospects and target the playoffs in two or three years.

I guess I can see your enthusiasm since Seattle had such great luck with Ichiro, but I temper my enthusiasm with the Japanese players. It seems each year there's another player from Japan thats going to transcend the game...but most end up pretty average players. I do think he made a good decision going to the West coast where he won't get hounded relentlessly by the media.

I also don't understand why he'd sign with an AL team. I kept hearing how is also an elite hitter as well.

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » December 21st, 2017, 4:50 pm

bigearl wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:Well, I think his hands were pretty tied on this one. Lauria signed Stanton to that monster deal and then gave him a no trade clause. So in essence, Stanton held the power in this one and there were only a few teams who have the money to absorb that monster contract. This was akin to Houston trading Osweiller and a draft pick to Cleveland for basically nothing in return. Cleveland just bought a draft pick. The Yankees just bought Stanton's contract. That's how I look at it anyway.

I guess I can see your enthusiasm since Seattle had such great luck with Ichiro, but I temper my enthusiasm with the Japanese players. It seems each year there's another player from Japan thats going to transcend the game...but most end up pretty average players. I do think he made a good decision going to the West coast where he won't get hounded relentlessly by the media.

I also don't understand why he'd sign with an AL team. I kept hearing how is also an elite hitter as well.

If he wants to pitch and hit, then the AL makes the most sense. He will be the DH and pitch. At least I think that may be the initial plan. Of course he can play a position as well.
Make GASF Great Again!

Return to MLB