Register

Look who is closing in on 3000 hits

Who's the best 2nd baseman of all time? Should there be a salary cap? Should Pete Ro...er...some things have been talked about enough. Come talk MLB!
The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Look who is closing in on 3000 hits

Postby Iconoclast » July 14th, 2017, 1:35 pm

Adrian Beltre. I just heard about it on the radio. I was really surprised as I never really thought of him as a guy who really collected a lot of hits. I always thought of him as a really good player, but not someone who would write a ticket into Cooperstown, which I assume he will do with his 3000th hit. Unless the BBWA start discounting that milestone, which I don't think they should.
Make GASF Great Again!

Re: Look who is closing in on 3000 hits

Postby Maz » July 15th, 2017, 6:27 pm

He doesn't need 3,000 to get in. Even if he comes close, he's a lock. He's popular amongst his peers and the writing community, he's a good glove, excellent hitting third baseman with a long career. He fits the George Brett mold pretty well.
I intend to live forever... so far, so good.

Postby Iconoclast » July 15th, 2017, 10:55 pm

Maz wrote:He doesn't need 3,000 to get in. Even if he comes close, he's a lock. He's popular amongst his peers and the writing community, he's a good glove, excellent hitting third baseman with a long career. He fits the George Brett mold pretty well.

I don't disagree. I was speaking more to the unwritten HOF rule of 3000 hits. And it appears that he will get it this year. I just never really thought of him as a guy who would be a 3000 hit guy. And when I heard he was this close, it surprised me. Of course I admit I have not followed baseball for a few years, so chalk my surprise up to naivety.
Make GASF Great Again!

Postby Iconoclast » August 1st, 2017, 4:58 pm

And here it is, number 3000

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/beltre-gets-3-000th-hit-rangers-10-6-230958246--mlb.html

He's only playing about half time this year, but I would think he would have another couple of years in him. He has 59 hits this year and a .307 average. So I see him getting another 125-150 hits, which would put him around 17th on the all time list.

Next up, Albert Pujols with 2914. I suspect Albert will finish this year around 50-60 short of 3000, so I am guessing he will have it by the All Star Break next year.
Make GASF Great Again!

Return to MLB