Register

Will he have enough years to make it to the bigs?

Who's the best 2nd baseman of all time? Should there be a salary cap? Should Pete Ro...er...some things have been talked about enough. Come talk MLB!
The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Will he have enough years to make it to the bigs?

Postby Iconoclast » April 7th, 2017, 3:34 pm

He's just in single A now and hit a home run in is first official at bat. I'm impressed that he's doing so well given that he didn't play any organized ball for quite a few years. It makes you wonder where he might be had he not gone to the NFL and instead went into baseball. I suspect he will need at least three years in the minors before he's ready to make the jump.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tim-tebow-homers-first-official-minor-league-bat-000639890.html
Make GASF Great Again!

The Curmudgeon

Re: Will he have enough years to make it to the bigs?

Postby Domer » April 10th, 2017, 11:57 am

Yeah, I don't know. He's getting a very late start.
God, Country, Notre Dame

Thong

Postby bigearl » April 10th, 2017, 2:41 pm

:lol: Pump the breaks... couple of home runs in A ball and you have him with a shot at the majors? A major league pitcher puts him down in 3 pitches.

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » April 10th, 2017, 3:28 pm

Big Earl is right.
"I don't care if Pat Terrell is so wide open, you could walk up and hand him the football! Take the sack"!

Lou Holtz to Tony Rice.

Postby Iconoclast » April 10th, 2017, 3:41 pm

My point wasn't that he has a shot at the bigs right now. It was that if he can develop, will he have time. And right now, I am pretty impressed that he is doing so well (meaning a lot better than I would have thought) in baseball. That he's on a single A roster is much further than even I thought he would go.
Make GASF Great Again!

Postby Iconoclast » May 22nd, 2018, 11:59 am

bigearl wrote::lol: Pump the breaks... couple of home runs in A ball and you have him with a shot at the majors? A major league pitcher puts him down in 3 pitches.

Hmmmmmmm

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/dan-patrick-thinks-mets-will-call-tim-tebow-season-not-talent
Make GASF Great Again!

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » May 23rd, 2018, 1:51 pm

Iconoclast wrote:
bigearl wrote::lol: Pump the breaks... couple of home runs in A ball and you have him with a shot at the majors? A major league pitcher puts him down in 3 pitches.

Hmmmmmmm

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/dan-patrick-thinks-mets-will-call-tim-tebow-season-not-talent

He does seem to be showing signs of development. I saw an article recently that showed he was above the league average for OPS for the last month, which is part of pattern of steady progress on his part. As you stated, the question is whether he has enough time to develop to the level of a major leaguer. The Mets certainly seem to be doing everything they can to try to help accelerate his progress, including moving him up from low A to high A then to AA before he'd really displayed the level typically expected to make those moves. There is a good chance that if he continues to perform at a level similar to his recent performance the Mets will call him up in September. Some of that will no doubt be publicity, but I think some of it is that they do genuinely believe he has the raw talent to develop if given the right opportunities.

Postby Iconoclast » May 23rd, 2018, 2:45 pm

*YNC* MikeTheTiger wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:

Hmmmmmmm

He does seem to be showing signs of development. I saw an article recently that showed he was above the league average for OPS for the last month, which is part of pattern of steady progress on his part. As you stated, the question is whether he has enough time to develop to the level of a major leaguer. The Mets certainly seem to be doing everything they can to try to help accelerate his progress, including moving him up from low A to high A then to AA before he'd really displayed the level typically expected to make those moves. There is a good chance that if he continues to perform at a level similar to his recent performance the Mets will call him up in September. Some of that will no doubt be publicity, but I think some of it is that they do genuinely believe he has the raw talent to develop if given the right opportunities.

I read where he might actually get called up, at least to AAA due to the lack of outfielders in the Mets system. I go back to my original question of wondering where he would be had he just focused on baseball starting in college, or even if he had focused on baseball right after college (however that would have been a difficult thing to do given that Josh McDaniels decided to draft him in the first round). If he had focused on it starting in college, I don't think it's a stretch to think he'd would have made it to the bigs, and possibly by his early to mid 20s.
Make GASF Great Again!

Return to MLB