Register

Jeter/Walker in the Hall

Who's the best 2nd baseman of all time? Should there be a salary cap? Should Pete Ro...er...some things have been talked about enough. Come talk MLB!
The Unimpeachable Source

Jeter/Walker in the Hall

Postby irishmark » January 21st, 2020, 8:59 pm

I sure would like to see who the sportswriter is that didn't vote for I'm Jeter?
“ if Miami wants to fight after the game, I need one favor. Save Jimmy Johnson’s ass for me”

Lou Holtz

The Artist FKA SECRules

Re: Jeter/Walker in the Hall

Postby MikeTheTiger » January 22nd, 2020, 10:49 am

irishmark wrote:I sure would like to see who the sportswriter is that didn't vote for I'm Jeter?

Probably someone who is old school who doesn't think anyone should be a unanimous first ballot selection. There was some thought that would go away now that Mariano Rivera went in unanimously, but maybe not. Jeter is a Hall of Famer, to be sure, but he's not anywhere close to the best player ever, so I could see someone leaving him off for that reason.

The luckiest man in the world

Postby *YNC* Griff » February 16th, 2020, 5:14 am

MikeTheTiger wrote:
irishmark wrote:I sure would like to see who the sportswriter is that didn't vote for I'm Jeter?

Probably someone who is old school who doesn't think anyone should be a unanimous first ballot selection. There was some thought that would go away now that Mariano Rivera went in unanimously, but maybe not. Jeter is a Hall of Famer, to be sure, but he's not anywhere close to the best player ever, so I could see someone leaving him off for that reason.

You think someone like Trout might fall into that category?

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » February 16th, 2020, 10:33 pm

Assuming Trout doesn’t have a career ending injury in the next couple of years, he should be a unanimous selection.

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » February 18th, 2020, 11:07 am

MikeTheTiger wrote:Assuming Trout doesn’t have a career ending injury in the next couple of years, he should be a unanimous selection.

I believe titles matter when it comes to HOF.
“ if Miami wants to fight after the game, I need one favor. Save Jimmy Johnson’s ass for me”

Lou Holtz

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » February 18th, 2020, 2:45 pm

irishmark wrote:
MikeTheTiger wrote:Assuming Trout doesn’t have a career ending injury in the next couple of years, he should be a unanimous selection.

I guess we need to go kick out any Chicago Cubs from the 20th century after 1906. :evil:

In all seriousness, there is a limit to the impact any one player can have on the success of his team. A great player could turn a 90-win team into a 100-win championship team, but he could also take a 75-win team and turn them into an 85-win team that just misses the playoffs. He should not be penalized for the quality of his teammates.

Thong

Postby bigearl » February 18th, 2020, 3:40 pm

irishmark wrote:

Trout is a dominant player.. consistently the best player in MLB. Jeter wasn't even the best SS on his own team during much of his tenure.. ;)

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » February 18th, 2020, 4:03 pm

MikeTheTiger wrote:
irishmark wrote:

I guess we need to go kick out any Chicago Cubs from the 20th century after 1906. :evil:

In all seriousness, there is a limit to the impact any one player can have on the success of his team. A great player could turn a 90-win team into a 100-win championship team, but he could also take a 75-win team and turn them into an 85-win team that just misses the playoffs. He should not be penalized for the quality of his teammates.

We're not talking about hall unanimous worthiness! I'm just saying for unanimous, I think titles tend to have a little effect. My bad! I should've been clearer.

He finally has a great manager so, we'll see.

Lou Holtz

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » February 18th, 2020, 4:53 pm

That’s why there’s been only one unanimous selection. Everybody has their own criteria for what justifies first-ballot. It’s hard to check off every box.

Return to MLB