Register

Trading Mookie

Who's the best 2nd baseman of all time? Should there be a salary cap? Should Pete Ro...er...some things have been talked about enough. Come talk MLB!
Thong

Trading Mookie

Postby bigearl » February 5th, 2020, 10:28 am

I understand not wanting to handcuff yourself with a huge deal, but not quite sure how you trade a top 3 player in baseball for pretty much nothing. Looks like Red Sox are going into rebuild mode at this point.

The Artist FKA SECRules

Re: Trading Mookie

Postby MikeTheTiger » February 5th, 2020, 1:47 pm

bigearl wrote:I understand not wanting to handcuff yourself with a huge deal, but not quite sure how you trade a top 3 player in baseball for pretty much nothing. Looks like Red Sox are going into rebuild mode at this point.

At a minimum, it signals that the Red Sox do not expect to be competitive this season so they are trying to avoid the luxury tax. I don't know that it necessarily entails a full blown re-build mode. They could aggressively enter the free agent and trade market next year with the money they are freeing up. It is surprising that they weren't able to get more in return, but I would assume they took the best offer.

Thong

Re: Trading Mookie

Postby bigearl » February 18th, 2020, 3:36 pm

MikeTheTiger wrote:At a minimum, it signals that the Red Sox do not expect to be competitive this season so they are trying to avoid the luxury tax. I don't know that it necessarily entails a full blown re-build mode. They could aggressively enter the free agent and trade market next year with the money they are freeing up. It is surprising that they weren't able to get more in return, but I would assume they took the best offer.

Yea.. well the buyer is only assured of 1 year with Mookie.. since I expect he'll truly break the bank at the end of this year. If the Sox are out by a decent amount come All Star break.. they'll unload more.. Like JD Martinez. :(

Return to MLB