Register

A really good all star game

Who's the best 2nd baseman of all time? Should there be a salary cap? Should Pete Ro...er...some things have been talked about enough. Come talk MLB!
The Straw That Stirs the Drink

A really good all star game

Postby Iconoclast » July 18th, 2018, 7:45 pm

I didn't see a lot of the early part due to working late and the start being early for us west coasters. I saw the 5th - 8th however. Sorry I missed the 9th, but had to pick up my son at soccer. Anyway, good game and the AL seems to own it over the past 20 years. The home run derby was kind of fun but it is really a snooze fest for me. I liked Harper getting on a roll, but that's about it. I feel that they should get rid of it.
Make GASF Great Again!

Thong

Re: A really good all star game

Postby bigearl » July 19th, 2018, 7:29 am

Iconoclast wrote:I didn't see a lot of the early part due to working late and the start being early for us west coasters. I saw the 5th - 8th however. Sorry I missed the 9th, but had to pick up my son at soccer. Anyway, good game and the AL seems to own it over the past 20 years. The home run derby was kind of fun but it is really a snooze fest for me. I liked Harper getting on a roll, but that's about it. I feel that they should get rid of it.

The game was pretty entertaining.. It always makes me nervous when the Sox have pitchers in there though.. since all the pitchers are so amped up and overthrowing. The AL lineup was ridiculous this year.

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby *YNC* MikeTheTiger » July 19th, 2018, 11:54 am

Iconoclast wrote:I didn't see a lot of the early part due to working late and the start being early for us west coasters. I saw the 5th - 8th however. Sorry I missed the 9th, but had to pick up my son at soccer. Anyway, good game and the AL seems to own it over the past 20 years. The home run derby was kind of fun but it is really a snooze fest for me. I liked Harper getting on a roll, but that's about it. I feel that they should get rid of it.

It is interesting that you found the All-Star game itself interesting, but thought the Home Run Derby was a snooze fest. The game itself really just turned into a replay of the Home Run Derby. :D What I did find interesting was the fact that back-to-back HRs by Astros in the 10th inning could ultimately lead to the Astros having home field advantage in the W.S. They have to get there first, of course, but I'm sure the league will use this example to validate awarding home field on that basis. I don't agree with it, but it did at least provide some incentive for those particular players at that point in the game.

Thong

Postby bigearl » July 19th, 2018, 12:04 pm

*YNC* MikeTheTiger wrote:It is interesting that they found the All-Star game itself interesting, but thought the Home Run Derby was a snooze fest. The game itself really just turned into a replay of the Home Run Derby. :D What I did find interesting was the fact that back-to-back HRs by Astros in the 10th inning could ultimately lead to the Astros having home field advantage in the W.S. They have to get their first, of course, but I'm sure the league will use this example to validate awarding home field on that basis. I don't agree with it, but it did at least provide some incentive for those particular players at that point in the game.

Yes.. I'm sure the Red Sox will send them a fruit basket at the end of the year thanking them.. ;)

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » July 21st, 2018, 6:37 pm

The All Star Game no longer decides home field in the World Series.
Motivation is simple! You eliminate those that are not motivated!

Lou Holtz

Postby Iconoclast » July 24th, 2018, 5:56 pm

*YNC* MikeTheTiger wrote:

It is interesting that you found the All-Star game itself interesting, but thought the Home Run Derby was a snooze fest. The game itself really just turned into a replay of the Home Run Derby. :D What I did find interesting was the fact that back-to-back HRs by Astros in the 10th inning could ultimately lead to the Astros having home field advantage in the W.S. They have to get there first, of course, but I'm sure the league will use this example to validate awarding home field on that basis. I don't agree with it, but it did at least provide some incentive for those particular players at that point in the game.

Well, you are correct that the game was a rehash of the home run derby. I am just tired of it I guess. I'm tired of the slam dunk competition however too. I know that many fans like them however, especially kids. If I were a kid, I would probably love them. As to the game, I am always happy to see some Mariners and Rockies playing. I don't follow them like I used to, but I still root for them.

It's funny how they award the MVP. Jean Segura hit the three run shot but they give it to the guy who hit a solo shot to win it. That solo shot wouldn't have mattered absent the three run shot by Segura.
Make GASF Great Again!

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby *YNC* MikeTheTiger » July 25th, 2018, 10:55 am

irishmark wrote:The All Star Game no longer decides home field in the World Series.

I'm not sure why I didn't pay attention to that change last year with the Astros in the running. More than likely the AL team will have the better record anyway. I guess that's a fairer way to determine it, though it's not necessarily the best indicator of who had the better season if one league or division is materially stronger than the other. This year it's likely that the top AL teams are better than the top NL teams, though it could just be that there is more balance in the NL making it harder to dominate.

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby *YNC* MikeTheTiger » July 25th, 2018, 10:57 am

Iconoclast wrote:It's funny how they award the MVP. Jean Segura hit the three run shot but they give it to the guy who hit a solo shot to win it. That solo shot wouldn't have mattered absent the three run shot by Segura.

Yeah, I agree that didn't really make a lot of sense, especially since Segura scored in the 10th inning as well. That said, I'm not going to argue against a player who is an Astro and a former LSU Tiger winning the award. :D

Postby Iconoclast » July 31st, 2018, 3:26 pm

*YNC* MikeTheTiger wrote:
irishmark wrote:The All Star Game no longer decides home field in the World Series.

I'm not sure why I didn't pay attention to that change last year with the Astros in the running. More than likely the AL team will have the better record anyway. I guess that's a fairer way to determine it, though it's not necessarily the best indicator of who had the better season if one league or division is materially stronger than the other. This year it's likely that the top AL teams are better than the top NL teams, though it could just be that there is more balance in the NL making it harder to dominate.

I've always felt that they should award it to the league that ends up with the better overall winning percentage of inter-league games. To me that is a better indication of relative strength. It may not be perfect, but I think it's a very good way to determine who gets home field and it's fair. Another way that I've thought about is to give it to the team in the series that has the best inter-league record. However that might not be as fair. You could have team A that wins all inter-league games, but finishes with 95 wins and team B that goes .500 in inter-league play but has 102 wins. That could happen of course in my preferred method, but at least then the entire league determined home field.
Make GASF Great Again!

Return to MLB