Register

Well, crap!

Who's your favorite team? Favorite player? Favorite coach? What teams & players do you hate? Ladies and gentlemen, it's time to talk a little NFL football!
The Curmudgeon

Well, crap!

Postby Domer » March 10th, 2019, 8:58 am

This really urinates me off.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-ste ... ithout-him

All the Pittsburgh Steelers were left with after dealing arguably the game's best wide receiver were a few modest draft picks and $21 million in dead money.

Antonio Brown pulled off a savage power play, sabotaging his own trade value while making himself untenable in Pittsburgh on his way to earning nearly $20 million in raises and more than $30 million in guarantees from the Oakland Raiders.

Brown's body slam off the top rope left the Steelers with minimal options. They wanted a first-round pick but would have done a deal days ago if they had it. Brown's behavior in interviews and on social media, coupled with his contractual demands, handcuffed the team, which already had worsened the dead-money hit by restructuring Brown's deal a year ago.

The whole mess was quicksand for Pittsburgh, which had the option to hold onto Brown and fine him all offseason, knowing Brown wouldn't retire or he would be forced to pay back more than $11 million in signing-bonus money. But both the Steelers and Brown knew they didn't want the headache of having him on the roster. Cutting him would have saved up to $15 million in cap space, but then Brown would be free to sign with a chief rival.

This was a salvage job all the way. So many teams backed out. The Philadelphia Eagles were players but not serious enough.

But there are positives to spin forward for the proud franchise.

The team now is armed with 10 picks in April's draft that it can use on defensive needs and to bolster the receiver position behind JuJu Smith-Schuster. The offense will have several options in a balanced attack featuring tight end Vance McDonald, second-year receiver James Washington and tailbacks James Conner and Jaylen Samuels.

The Steelers will continue to build around Ben Roethlisberger, who is expected to sign a mega-extension in the coming weeks. Roethlisberger's public criticisms of Brown and other teammates can be debated, but he is all-in with the Steelers and can't be held accountable for Brown's path. He is the last Killer B standing.

The loss of Le'Veon Bell and Brown in back-to-back years will be felt by the Steelers' offense. Replacing historic production takes time. But a reimagined attack and a calmer locker room might be enough to rally a team eager to rediscover its edge.[…]
God, Country, Notre Dame

Thong

Re: Well, crap!

Postby bigearl » March 12th, 2019, 11:00 am

Domer wrote:This really urinates me off.

Yup.. AB came out as the clear winner in that debacle... next up Odel. :lol:

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » March 12th, 2019, 12:07 pm

bigearl wrote:
Domer wrote:This really urinates me off.

Yup.. AB came out as the clear winner in that debacle... next up Odel. :lol:

You are correct, sir.
God, Country, Notre Dame

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » March 12th, 2019, 2:46 pm

It wasn't so much a matter of Brown coming out the winner but that the Steelers came out the loser big time. They got very little in return and have a $21M dead money cap hit. Ouch.

I get that the Steeler fans are upset about this and the Bell situation. However the fans of that franchise have had it pretty good for many many years. The team has had a lot of success and has had little drama. A good many of the popular players have remained with the team rather than seeking big paydays elsewhere.
Everything good that's ever happened to me came out of helping others. Danny Trejo

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » March 13th, 2019, 10:10 am

Iconoclast wrote:It wasn't so much a matter of Brown coming out the winner but that the Steelers came out the loser big time. They got very little in return and have a $21M dead money cap hit. Ouch.

I get that the Steeler fans are upset about this and the Bell situation. However the fans of that franchise have had it pretty good for many many years. The team has had a lot of success and has had little drama. A good many of the popular players have remained with the team rather than seeking big paydays elsewhere.

The fact that the Steelers have been a well run team with a lot of success and little drama for such a long time is exactly why the Bell situation and now the Brown situation urinate me off.

:?
God, Country, Notre Dame

Postby Iconoclast » March 13th, 2019, 1:59 pm

Domer wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:It wasn't so much a matter of Brown coming out the winner but that the Steelers came out the loser big time. They got very little in return and have a $21M dead money cap hit. Ouch.

The fact that the Steelers have been a well run team with a lot of success and little drama for such a long time is exactly why the Bell situation and now the Brown situation urinate me off.

I get it Domer and I don't blame Steeler fans for being upset. You lose one of the best WR and one of the best RB in back to back years. You don't just replace those guys. But the reality is, all teams lose top players. Pittsburgh has been more fortunate than most in retaining players.
Everything good that's ever happened to me came out of helping others. Danny Trejo

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » March 19th, 2019, 10:32 am

Iconoclast wrote:
Domer wrote:

I get it Domer and I don't blame Steeler fans for being upset. You lose one of the best WR and one of the best RB in back to back years. You don't just replace those guys. But the reality is, all teams lose top players. Pittsburgh has been more fortunate than most in retaining players.

True Steelers have been able to recover from this in years past

But, they've overhauled the coaching staff again 2nd in the past few years

Rumors are out there major locker room issues Big Ben pretty much says what he wants has the blessing of the Rooneys

Losing RB and WR caliber of Bell and Brown. Massive coaching changes again

QB who running the asylum (yes he won two Super Bowls last win was 2008 last appearance was 2010)

All that begs to question is there a crack in the Black and Gold armor coming? (They didn't make the playoffs this past season)
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

Thong

Postby bigearl » March 19th, 2019, 12:49 pm

Dubby wrote:

True Steelers have been able to recover from this in years past

But, they've overhauled the coaching staff again 2nd in the past few years

Rumors are out there major locker room issues Big Ben pretty much says what he wants has the blessing of the Rooneys

Losing RB and WR caliber of Bell and Brown. Massive coaching changes again

QB who running the asylum (yes he won two Super Bowls last win was 2008 last appearance was 2010)

All that begs to question is there a crack in the Black and Gold armor coming? (They didn't make the playoffs this past season)

And to top it off... Cleveland is loading up and "looks" to be legit. The games have to play out, but if Mayfield is above average, they could win quite a few games next year. It used to be only the kids who were poor students went to these schools, but these days they're seeing a higher caliber student. I certainly wouldn't have minded if one of my boys went that route.. especially since this coming year I'll have 2 in college.

Postby Iconoclast » March 19th, 2019, 2:52 pm

bigearl wrote:
And to top it off... Cleveland is loading up and "looks" to be legit. The games have to play out, but if Mayfield is above average, they could win quite a few games next year.

I think that after umpteen years of going sideways, the Browns are on track to be successful. I think Mayfield is more than average. They have a lot of talent on that team. I think playoffs are a reasonable expectation for them this year. They could win their division.

It used to be only the kids who were poor students went to these schools, but these days they're seeing a higher caliber student. I certainly wouldn't have minded if one of my boys went that route.. especially since this coming year I'll have 2 in college.

Wat? :drunk:

Return to NFL