Register

What didn't suck about this Super Bowl?

Who's your favorite team? Favorite player? Favorite coach? What teams & players do you hate? Ladies and gentlemen, it's time to talk a little NFL football!
The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Re: What didn't suck about this Super Bowl?

Postby Iconoclast » February 4th, 2019, 7:18 pm

I thought CBS did a lousy job with the game. The early shots were ground level and you can't see crap at that level. They also didn't give many replays. Especially on the penalties. I think that the NFL said "nope, we aren't going to have you show them as we don't want anyone to question any of the calls." We saw one replay of what was the biggest penalty of the game. The holding call on the Rams when Gurley ripped over like 14 yards that then killed the drive. The one replay I saw sure didn't look like a hold. I would have liked to see it again to see what the official might have seen. And they also didn't show the replay of the Cooks drop when his hand appeared to be held. Ditto the hold call against the Pats secondary and the defenseless receiver penalty. In the regular season that call isn't made and it stands out as a highlight hit. Nope, CBS didn't have a good day.

On the other hand, Romo, while not having a lot to work with, did some magic. He called it right on cue that the Rams needed to go against tendencies and sure enough, they did. He also said that they needed a play that they hadn't shown to pick up a key first down and sure enough, that's what they called.
Everything good that's ever happened to me came out of helping others. Danny Trejo

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » February 4th, 2019, 11:27 pm

bigearl wrote:
MikeTheTiger wrote:I think this game should resolve the question once and for all about who was more important to the Patriot dynasty between Belichick and Brady. What a masterful defensive game plan put together by the greatest football coach ever.

:ROFL: Uhh ok.. and the other times when Brady puts up huge points to outscore teams? If anything.. it shows they have been able to win in different ways (hint.. Both are important to the dynasty). I actually feel bad for Flores, all anyone said last night was Bill B crafted it.. Bill B said after the game Flores put the defensive game plan in for this one.

I did say who was MORE important, not who was the only one who was important to the dynasty. Certainly they won more together than they would have won apart, but I think there are any number of great QBs Belichick could have also won 6 SBs (or at least 4-5) with. Without Belichick, Brady could have been Drew Brees.

The Turnover Chain

Postby GR82BACANE » February 5th, 2019, 8:54 am

The only thing worse than the game was the crap at halftime. Why halftime is geared toward 10 year old girls is beyond me.

Thong

Postby bigearl » February 5th, 2019, 3:33 pm

Iconoclast wrote:
Brady has had a couple of big games in the SB, but you really see the genius of Belichick in these games. I go back to Brady being hurt and Cassel leading them to the playoffs. And when Brady was suspended, they still went 3-1 without him and using the backup and then the third teamer (who played most of last year in Indy and didn't do squat).

As to this game, they limited the Rams to a few big plays and opportunities. However, there were a couple of them there. The back of the end zone breakup by the guy who wasn't even supposed to be back covering the receiver. And also the play where cooks dropped the ball. It was good defense, but the ball was right there, albiet he had to use one hand because the other one was being held down. Either of those plays get made and who knows what the outcome of the game is. Also, not sure what the deal with Gurley was yet again.

Cassell inherited the undefeated 2007 squad and they missed the playoffs... Jimmy G could very well turn out to be a damn good QB.. the game they won with Brissett, certainly wasn't won on his arm. Anyone who would try to downplay Brady at this point is a fool. He simply will play the game thats needed to win.. if he has to throw for 500, he can.. if he knows the best way to win is to run.. he'll gladly hand off. He checks his ego at the door to win the game however its needed. If other QB's did the same... they might have more SB's themselves.

Thong

Postby bigearl » February 5th, 2019, 3:36 pm

MikeTheTiger wrote:
I did say who was MORE important, not who was the only one who was important to the dynasty. Certainly they won more together than they would have won apart, but I think there are any number of great QBs Belichick could have also won 6 SBs (or at least 4-5) with. Without Belichick, Brady could have been Drew Brees.

It's really an argument that can't be won. Bill B didn't have a ton of success as a coach before Brady... did he figure it out eventually? Also, Brady hasn't played for anyone besides Bill B... Only way to see will be if one continues after the other leaves.

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » February 5th, 2019, 3:51 pm

bigearl wrote:
MikeTheTiger wrote:

It's really an argument that can't be won. Bill B didn't have a ton of success as a coach before Brady... did he figure it out eventually? Also, Brady hasn't played for anyone besides Bill B... Only way to see will be if one continues after the other leaves.

Like I said, I think Belichick could have won as many or nearly as many with another GREAT QB. He didn't have that before Brady. Do I think he would have won as many Super Bowls with Manning? Yes. Brees? Yes. Rodgers? Rothlisberger? Ryan? Maybe not quite as many, but at least close. If I go the other direction, I just can't think of many coaches that could have teamed with Brady to win anywhere close to 6 Super Bowls. Without Belichick, I just see Brady having a 1 or 2 SB ring type career like Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Rothlisberger, etc. Put him on the 49ers in their prime, maybe he gets 4 or 5 (but I would say the same for most of those other QBs as well).

Thong

Postby bigearl » February 5th, 2019, 5:34 pm

MikeTheTiger wrote:Like I said, I think Belichick could have won as many or nearly as many with another GREAT QB. He didn't have that before Brady. Do I think he would have won as many Super Bowls with Manning? Yes. Brees? Yes. Rodgers? Rothlisberger? Ryan? Maybe not quite as many, but at least close. If I go the other direction, I just can't think of many coaches that could have teamed with Brady to win anywhere close to 6 Super Bowls. Without Belichick, I just see Brady having a 1 or 2 SB ring type career like Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Rothlisberger, etc. Put him on the 49ers in their prime, maybe he gets 4 or 5 (but I would say the same for most of those other QBs as well).

We'll have to agree to disagree.. as you can tell, while I'm a Bill B fan.. I'm more Team Brady in this argument.

Postby Iconoclast » February 6th, 2019, 12:10 am

Bing bing bing. MTT wins the argument. I completely agree. Brady is great. However Belichick is who has made them go. Tom knows this because he forced the trade of Garappolo. He saw his trade coming and it would have likely been at the beginning of this year. With Belichick probably coaching another 5-6 years it would have defined who was more important. It’s either one or the other as to who was more important, not both.
Everything good that's ever happened to me came out of helping others. Danny Trejo

Thong

Postby bigearl » February 6th, 2019, 10:00 am

Iconoclast wrote:Bing bing bing. MTT wins the argument. I completely agree. Brady is great. However Belichick is who has made them go. Tom knows this because he forced the trade of Garappolo. He saw his trade coming and it would have likely been at the beginning of this year. With Belichick probably coaching another 5-6 years it would have defined who was more important. It’s either one or the other as to who was more important, not both.

Brady didn't force the trade.. Robert Kraft did. I think the owner has a pretty good handle on who's more important. Who's to argue to.. Jimmy G wasn't winning a SB with this team this year. Listen to Inside the NFL this week.. they have them mic'd up.. you can see Bill B clearly defers to Brady for all things offense (especially in the 4th quarter). Brady made the call to kick the FG at the end of the game.

The guys a defensive guru.. but Brady has been and is the offensive scheme. That much is clear as any offensive coordinator that has come in is labeled a genius.

Postby Iconoclast » February 6th, 2019, 4:12 pm

bigearl wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:Bing bing bing. MTT wins the argument. I completely agree. Brady is great. However Belichick is who has made them go. Tom knows this because he forced the trade of Garappolo. He saw his trade coming and it would have likely been at the beginning of this year. With Belichick probably coaching another 5-6 years it would have defined who was more important. It’s either one or the other as to who was more important, not both.

Brady didn't force the trade.. Robert Kraft did. I think the owner has a pretty good handle on who's more important. Who's to argue to.. Jimmy G wasn't winning a SB with this team this year. Listen to Inside the NFL this week.. they have them mic'd up.. you can see Bill B clearly defers to Brady for all things offense (especially in the 4th quarter). Brady made the call to kick the FG at the end of the game.

The guys a defensive guru.. but Brady has been and is the offensive scheme. That much is clear as any offensive coordinator that has come in is labeled a genius.

You might dig into the forced trade an who was behind it. You do recall the issues with Brady's strength coach and being denied access? There was a big rift and it began with Brady going to Kraft and demanding Garappolo be traded because Brady has seen all the other Pats get traded when Bill feels that he has a younger suitable replacement and he can get value in a trade. All I know is that Brady didn't want to go to another team for many reasons. Bill was ready to move on.

PreviousNext

Return to NFL