Register

Defining a catch

Who's your favorite team? Favorite player? Favorite coach? What teams & players do you hate? Ladies and gentlemen, it's time to talk a little NFL football!
The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Defining a catch

Postby Iconoclast » March 21st, 2018, 3:34 pm

Make GASF Great Again!

The Postmaster General

Re: Defining a catch

Postby Dubby » March 21st, 2018, 4:18 pm

Iconoclast wrote:Seems like a step in the right direction for the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000922415/article/catch-rule-recommendations-revealed-ahead-of-vote

It was too complicated and I surely got tired of the commentators saying I saw the ball move (90% of those were ruled catches) on replay.

Unless it clearly comes loose its a catch IMO.

Yes unless you got both your feet down prior to going to the ground. You need to control it to the ground needs to remain

So sorry Steelers fans Jesse James catch was not a catch
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby *YNC* MikeTheTiger » March 30th, 2018, 10:00 am

Dubby wrote:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000922415/article/catch-rule-recommendations-revealed-ahead-of-vote

It was too complicated and I surely got tired of the commentators saying I saw the ball move (90% of those were ruled catches) on replay.

Yes unless you got both your feet down prior to going to the ground. You need to control it to the ground needs to remain

If one knee is sufficient to establish possession at the out of bounds line, I don't see why it should not also be sufficient to establish possession on a catch going to the ground.

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » March 30th, 2018, 11:39 am

*YNC* MikeTheTiger wrote:
Dubby wrote:

If one knee is sufficient to establish possession at the out of bounds line, I don't see why it should not also be sufficient to establish possession on a catch going to the ground.

One knee equals two feet so that is a catch

If you have established either two feet or one knee. You still need to control the going to the ground

What the NFL has done has gone back to if you get both your feet down with control its catch.

The difference is from Steelers Nation is Jesse James did not get both his feet down and lost control of the ball as he hit the ground. That is still no catch under the new rules. Now if he had gotten two feet down control and then lost as he hit the ground. Its a catch
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby *YNC* MikeTheTiger » April 10th, 2018, 12:10 pm

Dubby wrote:One knee equals two feet so that is a catch

If you have established either two feet or one knee. You still need to control the going to the ground

What the NFL has done has gone back to if you get both your feet down with control its catch.

The difference is from Steelers Nation is Jesse James did not get both his feet down and lost control of the ball as he hit the ground. That is still no catch under the new rules. Now if he had gotten two feet down control and then lost as he hit the ground. Its a catch

I don't know if you can assume that the new rule for a catch going to the ground is going to be different from the criteria for a catch at the boundary based just on outlines of the proposal in media accounts. Why would one knee = two feet at the boundary but not be sufficient for establishing control on a catch?

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » April 10th, 2018, 2:11 pm

*YNC* MikeTheTiger wrote:
Dubby wrote:One knee equals two feet so that is a catch

I don't know if you can assume that the new rule for a catch going to the ground is going to be different from the criteria for a catch at the boundary based just on outlines of the proposal in media accounts. Why would one knee = two feet at the boundary but not be sufficient for establishing control on a catch?

If you have control with two feet down or one knee its catch. These guys bobbling that have not established full control still might be an issue we'll see.

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » April 16th, 2018, 10:22 am

What I don't like is that a guy will catch a ball, have firm control, get hit and take too steps, or touch a knee, and in going to the ground the ball moves and when he hits the ground the ball pops up or what have you and they rule that it incomplete. I don't know if the new rule changes this or not as I have not dug into it. I do think that the NFL needed to address the concept of catching a football because too often you had commentators pulling it out of their butts to try to say what was and wasn't a catch and it felt like the refs were inconsistent.
Make GASF Great Again!

Return to NFL