Register

End of the Patriots?

Who's your favorite team? Favorite player? Favorite coach? What teams & players do you hate? Ladies and gentlemen, it's time to talk a little NFL football!
The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Re: End of the Patriots?

Postby Iconoclast » January 12th, 2018, 3:35 pm

Regardless of what any Patriot fan (and this can apply to the fan of any team who has an aging QB) but the stats above sure point to something that is going on. Sure it could be temporary. Or it could be the sign that the end is near. If it is temporary, then it is odd because nothing has been disclosed about an injury or any other issue. Did NE just play a tough stretch of opponent during those games or have a bigger allotment of games on the road during that period? That doesn't seem to fit because Brady has usually played well regardless of the opponent (except Denver when they have a decent QB) and regardless of the location of the game (except Denver when they have a decent QB). So either there is/was something wrong with him, or he actually is in decline. If he wins the MVP, it's because of the first 11 games of the season.
Make GASF Great Again!

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » January 12th, 2018, 4:26 pm

Iconoclast wrote: If he wins the MVP, it's because of the first 11 games of the season.

Exactly

I actually think Gurley should be MVP looking at Brady numbers in last 5 games
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » January 12th, 2018, 4:33 pm

bigearl wrote:
Again.. I agree it'll happen eventually.. I just don't think its happening next year. He was supposedly going off that cliff this year too. Manning had to stop taking HGH along with an injury... that'll speed things up. ;)

You remind me of the person whistling while walking past a graveyard saying they're not afraid

Where did I post this year?

I've steadfastly said well into his 40's (By 43 latest both teams fanbases will be screaming for another QB if not season to season before then)

Both Brees and Brady are saying they can play close to 50 years old. With Brady saying he plans to play until 50.

I'm saying those skills no matter who they're working with are gone in the next couple of years and that cliff is approaching

Brees can no longer throw the deep ball and the explosion of the Aints running game is what saving his butt.

Brady looks much slower than in years past and in the coming season look for sacks and hits too increase and than you and other doubters will see how 40 year QB recovers.

FYI NFL testing you can't hide HGH or wash it out. Manning age caught him no proof of any drugs.
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

Postby Iconoclast » January 12th, 2018, 5:36 pm

Dubby wrote:
Iconoclast wrote: If he wins the MVP, it's because of the first 11 games of the season.

Exactly

I'm actually fine with Brady winning it, although I think Wentz deserves some serious consideration (his injury might cost him some votes however). I look at the vast improvement of the Eagles since Wentz has arrived and the fact that they have the #1 seed in the NFC and feel it is largely due to Wentz. They really didn't make a lot of other additions over last year's roster so I chalk up most of their improvement to Wentz. As an analyst said, he wins back plays that the defense has won. I'm just sorry that he is out as I would like to have seen how far the Eagles could go this year.
Make GASF Great Again!

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » January 15th, 2018, 1:42 pm

Thoughts

Brees

The interception on the deep ball in the 1st half proved what I've been saying. Brees can no longer throw the deep ball like he used too
The Vikes had numerous injuries throughout the game to their secondary and one of the their key guys was not 100%.

Kudos to Aints for making the half time adjustments still no deep routes, mostly screens, intermediate routes from Brees who exploited the back-ups playing for the Vikes

The MO swing to this game was the Keenum interception Vikes leading 17-7 on ill advised pass. The blocked punt giving Aints the short field. Only on the FG to take the lead and the first TD did the Aints show the ability to maintain long drives. Two other scores came off short fields.

Key is without the blocked punt and interception I doubt the Aints could come up with two more TDs drives to put this game like it was at the Minneapolis Miracle.

Brees is FA and despite finally drafting some pieces they needed. The Aints are still in salary cap hell and reports is Brees is willing to accept less monies for LONG guaranteed deal they may not be willing to pay QB soon to be 39 this season. Otherwise he going to want in 20 millions for any short term deal. He counts as 18 million against the cap.

Bottom line I give Brees A- for halftime adjustments. The 1st half performance still says the aging is hitting his 38 year old body.
Last edited by Dubby on January 15th, 2018, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Iconoclast » January 15th, 2018, 2:37 pm

There is no doubt he does not have the arm strength he used to have. I believe his contract is up so it will be interesting to see what happens with him. Anything more than a two year contract does not make sense. And if he only gets two years, will he just retire? They may offer him a three year deal but I can't see him playing through it. I'm would assume NO would resign him as I don't know if they have anyone behind him.
Make GASF Great Again!

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » January 15th, 2018, 2:51 pm

Iconoclast wrote:There is no doubt he does not have the arm strength he used to have. I believe his contract is up so it will be interesting to see what happens with him. Anything more than a two year contract does not make sense. And if he only gets two years, will he just retire? They may offer him a three year deal but I can't see him playing through it. I'm would assume NO would resign him as I don't know if they have anyone behind him.

Word is he wants at least 3 years guaranteed

Loomis can't franchise tag. But, rumored he wants no more 2 year deal only 1 year guaranteed

I can't see him going anywhere else

But, I'm shocked he only signs a 1 year guaranteed deal

His pocket movement has slowed and arm strength is greatly diminished

Brady will outlast him for sure looking at the two right now.

Postby Iconoclast » January 15th, 2018, 3:12 pm

Dubby wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:There is no doubt he does not have the arm strength he used to have. I believe his contract is up so it will be interesting to see what happens with him. Anything more than a two year contract does not make sense. And if he only gets two years, will he just retire? They may offer him a three year deal but I can't see him playing through it. I'm would assume NO would resign him as I don't know if they have anyone behind him.

Word is he wants at least 3 years guaranteed

Loomis can't franchise tag. But, rumored he wants no more 2 year deal only 1 year guaranteed

I can't see him going anywhere else

But, I'm shocked he only signs a 1 year guaranteed deal

His pocket movement has slowed and arm strength is greatly diminished

Brady will outlast him for sure looking at the two right now.

If they give him three years guaranteed, at a high dollar amount, they are stupid. I suspect that they will give him two years with a large sum guaranteed and a third year as an option and he will sign. I suspect the Saints will give him more than any other team. There are lots of rumors that Denver is going to go after Cousins if he becomes available. I'm worried that he will be another Jake Plummer. A guy that has good stats and plays well, but doesn't take the team far in the playoffs.
Make GASF Great Again!

Thong

Postby bigearl » January 16th, 2018, 8:01 am

Iconoclast wrote:
If they give him three years guaranteed, at a high dollar amount, they are stupid. I suspect that they will give him two years with a large sum guaranteed and a third year as an option and he will sign. I suspect the Saints will give him more than any other team. There are lots of rumors that Denver is going to go after Cousins if he becomes available. I'm worried that he will be another Jake Plummer. A guy that has good stats and plays well, but doesn't take the team far in the playoffs.

I wouldn't be shocked of either Jax or Minnesota (hard to believe 2 teams getting this far) make a run at him as a short term solution next year.

Thong

Postby bigearl » January 16th, 2018, 8:03 am

Iconoclast wrote:
Dubby wrote:

Exactly

I'm actually fine with Brady winning it, although I think Wentz deserves some serious consideration (his injury might cost him some votes however). I look at the vast improvement of the Eagles since Wentz has arrived and the fact that they have the #1 seed in the NFC and feel it is largely due to Wentz. They really didn't make a lot of other additions over last year's roster so I chalk up most of their improvement to Wentz. As an analyst said, he wins back plays that the defense has won. I'm just sorry that he is out as I would like to have seen how far the Eagles could go this year.

Last year the experts said Brady couldn't win it because he missed the first 4 games.. so that precedent has been set. The Eagles could still get to the SB.. I think this week will be a dogfight between 2 pretty similar evenly matched teams.

Previous

Return to NFL