Register

Is there any chance we will have college football next fall?

This is the one to use if you want to talk about general college football topics.
The Postmaster General
User avatar
Posts: 9970
Joined: July 30th, 2013, 1:08 pm
Location: Suwanee, GA

Re: Is there any chance we will have college football next f

Postby Dubby » August 30th, 2020, 11:08 pm

Xenon wrote:
Dubby wrote:
Xenon wrote:Plus per scientist this virus will be far worse as the weather cools and we're more indoors


THIS makes we wonder alot about NCAA Basketball.....

I think there is a HUGE difference between Outdoors in the early to late fall and Indoors in late fall and winter.'

There is every reason to believe this thing, like almost every other virus, is seasonal, and will surge up again in the fall, especially in colder climates. MANY universities are already planning to send all the students home at Thanksgiving ... for a number of reasons, but COVID is certainly part of that. If you have no students on campus from mid November to sometime in January or later, how do you do Basketball?

It will be interesting to see how the different parts of the country respond.... Basketball is HUGE in the Northeast, and I think schools in the BigEast will totally balk at cancelling Basketball ... especially since they already lost one "March Madness". It will be hard, I think, for the BigTen to explain why Football in October or November is tooo dangerous but INDOOR basketball in November and December is safe. NOW MAYBE the BigTen goes Everything in January ... a shortened Basketball season and a shortened Football season running concurrently ...

I do expect a slight rise in COVID in Basketball season in the Winter .... And I think cancelling Basketball maybe necessary ... and really really really unpopular....

PLUS .... most Athletic departments lose huge money on every sport but football (and many lose some money on football)... with no football, do you even have money to play basketball?

Can you play Men's basketball without also playing Women's basketball and not get in trouble with Title IX? So Basketball is TWICE as risky and TWICE as costly....


College Basketball already talking doing the bubble to limit access to players and staff when they kick off their practices next month.

Basketball is far cheaper to run than CFB and is not drain on athletes the way football is

You have college basketball at lots of schools that don't have football programs
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The X-Man Cometh
User avatar
Posts: 2527
Joined: August 2nd, 2013, 10:40 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: Is there any chance we will have college football next f

Postby Xenon » September 2nd, 2020, 10:25 pm

https://247sports.com/Article/Big-Ten-O ... 150974733/

BigTen has to start by Oct 10 to make the College Football Playoff.....

“Now there have been athletic directors and presidents who have refuted this report. I want to caution you, they have to be able to accomplish update measures and procedures. The safety measures and procedures. That's really important to understand in all of this. The reason why they said October 10th, that's a Saturday, they want to be involved with the (College Football Playoff). You want to get into the final four. Wisconsin is loaded this year, Ohio State is loaded this year. This is what I was told as I followed it with why October 10th: ‘That is the latest they can play and still get involved in the playoffs for the national title game.’

The X-Man Cometh
User avatar
Posts: 2527
Joined: August 2nd, 2013, 10:40 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: Is there any chance we will have college football next f

Postby Xenon » September 3rd, 2020, 8:21 am

Xenon wrote:https://247sports.com/Article/Big-Ten-October-10-start-date-football-Dan-Patrick-doubles-down-report-President-Donald-Trump-Kevin-Warren-150974733/

BigTen has to start by Oct 10 to make the College Football Playoff.....

“Now there have been athletic directors and presidents who have refuted this report. I want to caution you, they have to be able to accomplish update measures and procedures. The safety measures and procedures. That's really important to understand in all of this. The reason why they said October 10th, that's a Saturday, they want to be involved with the (College Football Playoff). You want to get into the final four. Wisconsin is loaded this year, Ohio State is loaded this year. This is what I was told as I followed it with why October 10th: ‘That is the latest they can play and still get involved in the playoffs for the national title game.’


I believe Dan Patrick on the drop dead date .... I just don't quite understand it.....

Why October 10?
I think that gives something like 9 weekends between October 10 and Bowl Selection Sunday on Dec 6th.... So an EIGHT game conference only season, and then a champ game on Dec 5th? No byes I guess, no non-conference.

OR do you think Bowl Selection can be slid :mrgreen: back? When is the SEC CHampionship game this year? Has that been moved back? Since there probably will be BOWLS, but maybe not as many bowls, can Bowl selection be pushed back a week?

I don't think the BigTen can pull it off by Oct 10th to be totally honest. Too much politics to back track that far to get football going by Oct 10.... Plus, with a 6 week preseason, that kind of means starting full practices and stuff this weekend.... Maybe they shorten the preseason since many teams are already kinda/sorta practicing.... BUT if they do, maybe "first week jitters" even crazier....

The Unimpeachable Source
User avatar
Posts: 5550
Joined: July 30th, 2013, 1:15 pm
Location: I Was Born In A Small Town!

Re: Is there any chance we will have college football next f

Postby irishmark » September 3rd, 2020, 10:28 am

Notre Dame will have 25% capacity for its home games.

It means basically just students and faculty.

I dont care. Its college football. although home field advantage wont be the same, im still excited.

Im enjoying baseball and the NBA with no fans.
“ if Miami wants to fight after the game, I need one favor. Save Jimmy Johnson’s ass for me”

Lou Holtz

The Postmaster General
User avatar
Posts: 9970
Joined: July 30th, 2013, 1:08 pm
Location: Suwanee, GA

Re: Is there any chance we will have college football next f

Postby Dubby » September 3rd, 2020, 8:13 pm

Xenon wrote:
Xenon wrote:https://247sports.com/Article/Big-Ten-October-10-start-date-football-Dan-Patrick-doubles-down-report-President-Donald-Trump-Kevin-Warren-150974733/

BigTen has to start by Oct 10 to make the College Football Playoff.....

“Now there have been athletic directors and presidents who have refuted this report. I want to caution you, they have to be able to accomplish update measures and procedures. The safety measures and procedures. That's really important to understand in all of this. The reason why they said October 10th, that's a Saturday, they want to be involved with the (College Football Playoff). You want to get into the final four. Wisconsin is loaded this year, Ohio State is loaded this year. This is what I was told as I followed it with why October 10th: ‘That is the latest they can play and still get involved in the playoffs for the national title game.’


I believe Dan Patrick on the drop dead date .... I just don't quite understand it.....

Why October 10?
I think that gives something like 9 weekends between October 10 and Bowl Selection Sunday on Dec 6th.... So an EIGHT game conference only season, and then a champ game on Dec 5th? No byes I guess, no non-conference.

OR do you think Bowl Selection can be slid :mrgreen: back? When is the SEC CHampionship game this year? Has that been moved back? Since there probably will be BOWLS, but maybe not as many bowls, can Bowl selection be pushed back a week?

I don't think the BigTen can pull it off by Oct 10th to be totally honest. Too much politics to back track that far to get football going by Oct 10.... Plus, with a 6 week preseason, that kind of means starting full practices and stuff this weekend.... Maybe they shorten the preseason since many teams are already kinda/sorta practicing.... BUT if they do, maybe "first week jitters" even crazier....


The BIG TEN Presidents call the shots. Warren was just the carrier of bad news.

Dan Patrick is being Dan Patrick

Despite the rumors, Nebraska players suing, Parents complaining

11 of 14 Presidents are still a flat NO Thanksgiving earliest and that still in talking stages

So barring a minor miracle to flip 11 solid NO

October 10th is OUT right now
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The X-Man Cometh
User avatar
Posts: 2527
Joined: August 2nd, 2013, 10:40 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: Is there any chance we will have college football next f

Postby Xenon » September 4th, 2020, 7:15 am

Dubby wrote:
Xenon wrote:
Xenon wrote:https://247sports.com/Article/Big-Ten-October-10-start-date-football-Dan-Patrick-doubles-down-report-President-Donald-Trump-Kevin-Warren-150974733/

BigTen has to start by Oct 10 to make the College Football Playoff.....

I believe Dan Patrick on the drop dead date .... I just don't quite understand it.....

I don't think the BigTen can pull it off by Oct 10th to be totally honest. Too much politics to back track that far to get football going by Oct 10.... Plus, with a 6 week preseason, that kind of means starting full practices and stuff this weekend.... Maybe they shorten the preseason since many teams are already kinda/sorta practicing.... BUT if they do, maybe "first week jitters" even crazier....


The BIG TEN Presidents call the shots. Warren was just the carrier of bad news.

Dan Patrick is being Dan Patrick

Despite the rumors, Nebraska players suing, Parents complaining

11 of 14 Presidents are still a flat NO Thanksgiving earliest and that still in talking stages

So barring a minor miracle to flip 11 solid NO

October 10th is OUT right now


Totally agree .... I think BigTen already missed their chance at this season. They can't salvage the season, at least in terms of making the playoffs, at this point.

I think Warren's job is toast..... He failed everyone involved. He wasn't a strong enough voice to carry the message of the Presidents, so now the University Presidents are taking a lot of heat. SO they aren't going to be tooo happy with him .... he'll be the fall guy. The fact that his SON is playing and he is not letting the BigTen play is far toooo hypocritical for most people to tolerate. The ADs and Coaches are not going stand up for him either. So he'll have no allies when it comes time to renew his contract or when he is forced out.

So, I guess the BigTen does some kind of Conference only, not at home stadiums, BigTen Exhibition Season? Maybe one game in early December in the Big House or the Horseshoe? I don't think that is going to going over well. Michigan plays all their home games at Ford Field? Is there a covered NFL Dome in most BigTen States .... where does Nebraska play, or Iowa, or Illinois in this "indoor stadium" plan? How much does it cost to rent those places... and NOT use your own on-campus stadium? Does everyone have indoor on-campus practice facilities to practice in January and February in the upper midwest?

Maybe this BigTen Indoor Arena football plan only works for like half the conference?

Sounds like ACC/SEC/BigXII have a solid plan, with lots of games and all the money and prestige of the College Playoff.... SOOOO At least THAT is good!!! I'm excited for College Football!!!!

The X-Man Cometh
User avatar
Posts: 2527
Joined: August 2nd, 2013, 10:40 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: Is there any chance we will have college football next f

Postby Xenon » September 16th, 2020, 3:15 pm

OK, so the BigTen is "IN" afterall.....

So the answer to the question of if we are going to have football is increasing "YES!!!"

Even the "Pathetic-12" out on the west coast is now evidently going to try to play...

Proposal out of Mercury News to have the California Teams move to Arizona for a 5 game season!!!!

CRAZINESS!

YEAH for College Football finding a way to play ....

(Still think Warren's job at BigTen is shot.... he has "one job", to shield the presidents, and he failed at that one job ... and the presidents had to come back and say "we were wrong" and revote ....)

The Postmaster General
User avatar
Posts: 9970
Joined: July 30th, 2013, 1:08 pm
Location: Suwanee, GA

Re: Is there any chance we will have college football next f

Postby Dubby » September 16th, 2020, 6:13 pm

Xenon wrote:
(Still think Warren's job at BigTen is shot.... he has "one job", to shield the presidents, and he failed at that one job ... and the presidents had to come back and say "we were wrong" and revote ....)


The Presidents did not say they we were wrong

They got new proposal for increased testing and plans submitted for player safety that brought enough on board to approve starting the season at the end of October

Seeing Tennessee with reported 40 plus players infected and LSU saying the outbreak effected most of their team

Florida hiding numbers as is Oklahoma via privacy laws

BYU postponed the game with Army, VA-Tech and UVA cancel as well as Houston- Memphis

Arkansas state coming off road win canceled their upcoming game

All says we're not out of the woods by any stretch
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Curmudgeon
User avatar
Posts: 9142
Joined: July 30th, 2013, 1:25 pm
Location: 39 Latitude, -84 Longitude

Re: Is there any chance we will have college football next f

Postby Domer » September 17th, 2020, 1:44 pm

Dubby wrote:
Xenon wrote:
(Still think Warren's job at BigTen is shot.... he has "one job", to shield the presidents, and he failed at that one job ... and the presidents had to come back and say "we were wrong" and revote ....)


The Presidents did not say they we were wrong

They got new proposal for increased testing and plans submitted for player safety that brought enough on board to approve starting the season at the end of October

Seeing Tennessee with reported 40 plus players infected and LSU saying the outbreak effected most of their team

Florida hiding numbers as is Oklahoma via privacy laws

BYU postponed the game with Army, VA-Tech and UVA cancel as well as Houston- Memphis

Arkansas state coming off road win canceled their upcoming game

All says we're not out of the woods by any stretch

We're not even getting close to the edge of the woods, much less out of the woods. We're acting like all we have to do is wish we were out of the woods.
God, Country, Notre Dame

Previous

Return to Everything About College Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests