Register

Is there any chance we will have college football next fall?

This is the one to use if you want to talk about general college football topics.
The Postmaster General

Re: Is there any chance we will have college football next f

Postby Dubby » May 27th, 2020, 10:08 am

Xenon wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EY3xv79UwAAwclU?format=png&name=4096x4096

In every other state EXCEPT NYC, NY, NJ ... the 2017-2018 flu season killed more people than COVID. The 2017-2018 flu season was especially bad in TEXAS and ARIZONA in Jan of 2018, when we played Cotton Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, etc etc etc.

we don't have barriers in this country folks travel everywhere. The pandemic is not urban problem or people of color problem

As long as we don't play games in New York and New Jersey (and maybe Detroit, New Orleans, etc.) it is no more dangerous to be playing sports in Fall of 2020 than it was to be playing sports in Fall/Winter of 2017/2018 (or for that matter Fall/Winter of 2016/2017.

Again this is Nationwide problem and pointing out certain area hardly means its safe it other parts of the country

Where is your line .... when do you cancel everything?

No one is saying that just yet. The option maybe games without fans

is it 80K in a flu season ... so we should have cancelled in 2017-2018, and maybe in 2016-2017?
Or is it 100K in a flu season?

The 80K deaths was November to April. The 100K we're approaching has been in the past 12 weeks. Making this pandemic far worse than any flu season

Is it when the MODELS say at the beginning of the flu season 3.5 Million? or when the MODELS say 1.0M? or 100K?

The worse flu pandemic on record The 1918-19 “Spanish Flu” Pandemic killed 675K people in the US. They also thought back then this is other parts or US problem and had WW1 victory celebrations that brought 2 more deadly wave. No amount deaths is acceptable and saving lives is more important than sports right now.

Is it when the WHO says the virus has a 3.4% death rate ... or when the CDC revises the number to a new best estimate of .4% or lower. Or when Stanford says their estimate is .26?

If it is when a model somewhere says over 100K, then there will never be sports again ever....

Yes we will have sports again in the near future. You already have some returning with no fans.

It just fool hearty right now to put 100K in stadium anywhere while cases are rising
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » May 27th, 2020, 1:34 pm

Hi folks. I see you all are talking about the when and if we return to college football.

Of course I have some thoughts about this, as will surprise no one. ;)

First, personally I don't care if it returns or not. This is my opinion alone. I watched very little college football last year and the amount I watch has been declining over the past few years. So if it's on or not probably would not be missed a lot by me.

Second, if it doesn't return, and that is highly unlikely, I like to think how much of a "life" it might give people. This shutdown of the country has resulted in a lot of surprising things. Air is cleaner, animals in national parks are behaving quite differently, people are spending more time with family, ... If these changes are positive or negative is up to your perception of course. I just think that the human down time that is spent on weekends watching sports is immense. I understand the massive economic shock that has taken place and would occur if no college (or pro) sports and I'm not proposing it. I just am looking at the changes that have occurred because we were forced to change. Personally, I see thousands if not millions of workers never returning to the office in the future for example.

Third, I hope you all can keep politics out of the discussion. I've seen a few comments that have bordered on politics and it's disappointing. Don't you all have a political forum to vent to?

Last, if anyone is expecting us to return to life as it were three months ago, I don't think that is going to happen. I remember pre 9/11 and what the changes are. I remember not even taking off my shoes at the airport, practically throwing my bag through the xray, arriving 20 minutes before departure and making the flight, ... Our phone calls weren't all logged back then (I don't think anyway). I don't recall police relying on cameras om cities to identify suspects (I'm thinking about the Boston Marathon bombing and how pre 9/11 they likely would not have had videos of the suspects but post 9/11, it took them about 2 days to track down who the suspects were). And every time you see the "marked down" section in the meat at the grocery store, that is all because of 9/11. Our food is traced from seed to shit. So who knows what changes we will see. We may never see 80,000 fans in a stadium. Or we may see infection tests as common as bag checks when entering.

Well, those are my thoughts. Oh, and that I rarely watch the news (funny since my niece just got engaged to some fairly famous CNN reporter and their engagement was recently announced on CNN). I do enjoy Jimmy Dore and The Hill on YouTube however.
Everything good that's ever happened to me came out of helping others. Danny Trejo

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » May 27th, 2020, 6:09 pm

I-Clast

Congrats on the Engagement! Super exciting. One of my daughters in getting married next week, but my future son in law is not a famous new anchor!!! And as certain areas re-open, we are actually going to get to have something like the Wedding she imagined ...

I agree with you that I think Football is more likely than not ... but we'll have to see. Every day brings more and more good news about National trends on COVID, so I am optimistic that alot of the things we all miss the most will be back sooner rather than later.

I think 20K+ in a basketball arena in winter is perhaps a thing of the past ... and maybe reducing the number of people in football stadiums will make the experience a bit more pleasant!! I went to a Michigan game with my wife when she was 7 or 8 months pregnant, and the two guys next to us had huge beer bellies ... and I was the smallest person of the four of us ... (and I'm not a small person!!) Maybe some larger seating would make it safer from all kinds of diseases AND a little more comfortable!!!

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » May 27th, 2020, 6:20 pm

Hey More good news ... Pac-12 starting practices and such on JUne 15th ..

https://pac-12.com/article/2020/05/26/p ... ng-june-15

So that is three of the big Power 5 ... plus some of the smaller conferences as well....

If they practice for weeks and no big spikes or anything, that probably means the GAMES are no more dangerous then practice.

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » May 28th, 2020, 9:12 pm

Iowa State says YES to football in 2020 and YES to starting on time ...

https://saturdaytradition.com/big-ten-f ... ll-season/

In a message to Iowa State fans on Tuesday, athletic director Jamie Pollard says he anticipates having a college football season this fall and expects it to start on time, with the season-opener scheduled for Sept. 5 against South Dakota.

it's more good news about football happening, at least in the south, the southwest, the midwest, and pacific west.

It's not all good news, Iowa State is planning on about half capacity ...

However, attendance will be limited.

The schools is “planning as though the capacity of our [Jack Trice Stadium] will be limited to 30,000 spectators,” Pollard said in a release. The venue in Ames has a capacity of 61,500.

----

In hard hit NY/NJ, no good news yet, but it sounds like Rutgers is seeing everyone else opening up and planning for full season starting on time as a good sign for Rutgers ...

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2020 ... eason.html

Another day, another reason to believe Rutgers and the Big Ten will be playing college football this year amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Adding to the idea that college football’s glass is half-full, Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott appeared Tuesday on “The Paul Finebaum Show" and said all of the teams in his conference will be ready to play this fall: "at this stage, I don’t have that concern.”

The Dallas Morning News reported “Big 12 presidents and chancellors on Friday approved the return of football players to campus for voluntary conditioning and workouts June 15."

Anyway ... as the Rutger's reporter said ... another day and another reason to believe football will be back.

Try to be optimistic ... every day we learn more and have more reason to look forward to everything good ... Like College Football

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » May 28th, 2020, 9:45 pm

5:03 / 5:08
Why there's 'cautious optimism' going into the 2020 college football season | SportsCenter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIeNl-BfLSk

All three panelists talking about Football being back. Third guys says something like "EVERYONE I have talked to in position to know says football will be back"....

Potentially modified travel rosters, probably reduced fans in the stands, but football seems likely to be back...

More Good News...

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » May 29th, 2020, 8:33 am

https://www.si.com/college/2020/05/29/n ... eason-camp

With the NCAA's ban of on-campus training activities due to be lifted on June 1, the college sports governing body appears to be inching closer to making preparations for the fall sports season.

On Thursday, Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports reported the NCAA's football oversight committee is expected to recommend a six-week preseason camp for the 2020 season.

Dellenger reports that the proposal will require at least four weeks of practice before teams play their first games. "Six weeks could be optimal, but four could be the minimum,” says West Virginia athletic director Shane Lyons, who's also a member of the NCAA Division I Council and the football oversight committee. “Some might just do four, but can’t get back in time to do six. If somebody is not allowed to practice until Aug. 15 and their first game is Sept. 5, they might miss the first two weeks because their state might not allow them to return in time.”

The possibility exists, then, for not every FBS team to be able to start the 2020 season at the same time.

“There is a feeling that we can’t wait for everybody,” Lyons says. “What’s the percentage? That may be left up to conference to conference. If 80% are ready to go, are we going to delay two weeks? The feeling I’m getting out there is, ‘Sorry, we’re starting without you.’ Now, if it’s 40%, I see conferences saying we’re delaying the start of the season by two weeks.”

So, probably starting on time, BUT maybe regionally, recognizing that some states might not be ready when the majority of others are ready to go.

Sounds reasonable, and more good news .....

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » June 3rd, 2020, 9:38 am

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/06/01/ ... -a-caveat/

As infectious disease experts go, George Rutherford qualifies as both five-star recruit and first-round pick.

He’s a professor of epidemiology and biostatistics at UCSF, the world-renowned biomedical research institution.

He’s the director of UCSF’s Prevention and Public Health Group within the school’s Institute for Global Health Sciences.

He has served as a lead investigator for the CDC on infectious disease cases in Africa.

Oh, and Rutherford is a college football fan — specifically, a Stanford fan. He has owned season tickets since the Jim Plunkett era.

So we asked him: Should they play in the fall, before there’s a vaccine for coronavirus?

“I’m all for it, as a fan,” Rutherford told the Hotline.

Then he changed hats but not tunes: The epidemiologist in Rutherford believes football could work this fall.

More good news .... more and more and more experts saying PLAY BALL!!!

The X-Man Cometh

Looking more and more likely there will be Football!!!!

Postby Xenon » June 8th, 2020, 8:39 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... n-on-time/

Sports Illustrated reported Monday that a draft version of that plan includes a recommendation that coaches could begin interacting with players as soon as the first week of July. Football activities leading to fall camp practice would be modeled for mid-July, Shane Lyons told CBS Sports last week. Lyons is the chair of the NCAA Oversight Committee and athletic director at West Virginia.

That would give teams starting Aug. 29 over six weeks to prepare for the beginning of the 2020 season. The vast majority of teams starting a week later would begin football activities on or around July 24.

"That's the model we're working on," Lyons said.

The recommendations are indeed in a draft state, Lyons stressed. Testing for the coronavirus is still largely a conference-by-conference enterprise as is the possibility of coaches possibly having to wear facemasks on the sideline during games.

The oversight committee recommendations have been shared with the conferences for input before they are sent to the NCAA Council for final approval on June 17. Lyons said the plan is for his committee to finalize all the summer activities leading up to kickoff with those recommendations.

and the full article that CBS sports was referencing ...

https://www.si.com/college/2020/06/08/c ... -plan-camp

Football coaches could begin interacting with their players as soon as the second week of July and by mid-July, they’ll be conducting walk-through practices, with a ball. That’s according to an NCAA proposal set for approval this week.

Continuing their progress toward an on-time kickoff to the season, college athletic leaders are set to take a giant leap down that path. On Thursday, the NCAA Division I Football Oversight Committee is expected to approve the long-talked-about six-week preseason practice plan and recommend it to the NCAA D-I Council. The plan is in the last stages of finalization. A draft of the plan has been circulated to conference offices and athletic departments for feedback. The D-I Council would approve the final version of the plan at its next meeting on June 17. Only small adjustments are expected over the next three days. “We’re 90% there,” Shane Lyons, the West Virginia athletic director and chair of the Oversight Committee, told Sports Illustrated in an interview Monday.

All signs seem to be pointing towards an ON TIME start to the season ... which is great news.... Certainly no one seems to talking about cancelling the season!!!!

Every day we learn and more about COVID, and every day we take another step towards a return to normalcy ....

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » June 14th, 2020, 12:40 pm

Not rain on your parade there six programs Including Alabama and Arkansas where this is happening

University of Houston suspends workouts after six student-athletes test positive

The University of Houston has suspended voluntary workouts for all student-athletes after six symptomatic student-athletes in various sports tested positive for the coronavirus as the Houston area has seen a recent surge of positive tests.

In a statement Friday, the UH athletic department said it was suspending the activities "out of an abundance of caution." The school said the symptomatic student-athletes had been placed in isolation and contact tracing procedures have been initiated.

Houston did not test all athletes when they returned to campus, only those who showed symptoms of having the coronavirus, according to the Houston Chronicle. Any athlete having a temperature above 100.2 degrees, the current guideline set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, was immediately put into isolation, evaluated by team doctors and quarantined until test results come back, according to the Chronicle.

Houston is the first school to suspend athletic activities after bringing student-athletes back to campus following a shutdown caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

"As was contemplated prior to the return of student-athletes on June 1, UH Athletics is adapting its protocols to include repetitive COVID-19 testing as a component of any resumption of workouts on campus," the statement said. "During this pause in voluntary workouts, UH Athletics will continue its stringent cleaning and sanitization protocols in all facilities. UH Athletics will continue to partner with university officials, UH team physicians and local health professionals to determine best practices as it considers a return to workouts."

Harris County, Texas, where Houston is located, is currently at a "code orange" or Level 2 of a new color-coded "COVID-19 public health threat level system."

The system consists of four levels: Level 1 is a code red and considered a severe threat; Level 2 is a code orange and significant threat; Level 3 is a code yellow and moderate threat, and Level 4 is a code green and minimal threat.

Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo said Thursday at a news conference that COVID-19 hospitalizations in Harris County were the highest they've ever been and are climbing.
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

PreviousNext

Return to Everything About College Football