Register

Finebaum: Notre Dame should buy out Brian Kelly

This is the one to use if you want to talk about general college football topics.
The Postmaster General

Re: Finebaum: Notre Dame should buy out Brian Kelly

Postby Dubby » November 2nd, 2019, 11:02 am

MikeTheTiger wrote:Urban Meyer is one a handful of coaches that I think would be capable to taking ND to a level that ND fans think the program should be. That really says more about Meyer than ND, though. I think he is the type of coach that could take any program to that level. Absent that kind of coach, ND isn't going to get to that level any more just by being ND. Demographics have shifted since the heyday of the program and the natural recruiting base just isn't what it once was. Add in the tougher academic standards and I think Brian Kelly is squeezing just about as much as can be expected out of the program without being Urban Meyer, Nick Saban or Dabo Swinney.

Agreed
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » November 2nd, 2019, 11:57 am

I think one thing to add to thoughts about any school trying to become dominant again is that the competition for recruits has become so much more fierce than it used to be. The recruiting is nationally vs regionally for everyone and everyone has access to social media and information. 20 years ago a kid was happy to have offers from a big program or two. Maybe three or four. Now these kids all want offers from 15 and want to announce their choices via big signing events. I think it’s so hard to be dominant in recruiting year after year.
Everything good that's ever happened to me came out of helping others. Danny Trejo

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » November 2nd, 2019, 1:09 pm

Iconoclast wrote:I think one thing to add to thoughts about any school trying to become dominant again is that the competition for recruits has become so much more fierce than it used to be. The recruiting is nationally vs regionally for everyone and everyone has access to social media and information. 20 years ago a kid was happy to have offers from a big program or two. Maybe three or four. Now these kids all want offers from 15 and want to announce their choices via big signing events. I think it’s so hard to be dominant in recruiting year after year.

Clemson, Alabama are dominant in recruiting year after year right

Alabama has kid playing WR with Marietta HS here in GA. The kid is beast I watched him in 200+ yard receiving game Vs very good team

So right Dabo and Sith Lord Saban find a way to be dominant in Recruiting

Ohio St is up there also
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » November 2nd, 2019, 3:31 pm

One other name to throw into the mix.

Bob Stoops.

Coaching minor league professional football isn’t imo for Bob. Notre Dame would be great for him.

If ND loses this game, I might be on the fire Kelly bandwagon.
“Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty”.

Joseph Goebbells

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » November 4th, 2019, 11:36 am

MikeTheTiger wrote:Urban Meyer is one a handful of coaches that I think would be capable to taking ND to a level that ND fans think the program should be. That really says more about Meyer than ND, though. I think he is the type of coach that could take any program to that level. Absent that kind of coach, ND isn't going to get to that level any more just by being ND. Demographics have shifted since the heyday of the program and the natural recruiting base just isn't what it once was. Add in the tougher academic standards and I think Brian Kelly is squeezing just about as much as can be expected out of the program without being Urban Meyer, Nick Saban or Dabo Swinney.

I agree, MTT. Barring a coach of the caliber of the three you mentioned, ND won't return to the days of Rockne or Leahy. I believe Brian Kelly is doing as well as can be expected. ND fans have to adjust their expectations to reflect reality.
God, Country, Notre Dame

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » November 5th, 2019, 12:25 am

Domer, the voice of reason. I agree that ND fans need to adjust their expectations. Just as I think other programs who used to win 10 and 11 games a season need to adjust their expectations. Keeping a bunch of 18-22 year old men focused for 12 games not to mention all through pre season and then through the bowl game and to not expect a let down or two is unrealistic.
Everything good that's ever happened to me came out of helping others. Danny Trejo

The Green Jersey

Postby irish 78 » November 5th, 2019, 7:50 pm

If Meyer wanted to coach at Notre Dame, he would have taken the job when it was offered to him. I am sure Fr Jenkins hasn't forgotten Meyer taking the Florida offer when he thought he had a deal with Meyer to take the Notre Dame job.yer is going to coach in college again, it will be at USC or Texas.

It is really hard to find a top college coach. Outside of Dao and Sabin, I am not sure who there is who is a slam dunk great coach. OSU and Oklahoma may have hit gold with younger coaches, but it is early.

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » November 6th, 2019, 12:23 pm

irish 78 wrote:If Meyer wanted to coach at Notre Dame, he would have taken the job when it was offered to him. I am sure Fr Jenkins hasn't forgotten Meyer taking the Florida offer when he thought he had a deal with Meyer to take the Notre Dame job.yer is going to coach in college again, it will be at USC or Texas.

It is really hard to find a top college coach. Outside of Dao and Sabin, I am not sure who there is who is a slam dunk great coach. OSU and Oklahoma may have hit gold with younger coaches, but it is early.

I agree, irish 78. Urban can go somewhere else as far as I'm concerned.
God, Country, Notre Dame

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » November 6th, 2019, 1:03 pm

Domer wrote:
irish 78 wrote:If Meyer wanted to coach at Notre Dame, he would have taken the job when it was offered to him. I am sure Fr Jenkins hasn't forgotten Meyer taking the Florida offer when he thought he had a deal with Meyer to take the Notre Dame job.yer is going to coach in college again, it will be at USC or Texas.

I agree, irish 78. Urban can go somewhere else as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not a graduate of the university like the two of you. I guess I'm what you'd call a subway alum. I want to win!

Getting beat by Alabama by 28, Clemson by 27, and worst of all, Michigan by 31 is NOT acceptable!

If Urban wants to come here, which I doubt, I welcome him.
“Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty”.

Joseph Goebbells

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » November 6th, 2019, 1:09 pm

irishmark wrote:I'm not a graduate of the university like the two of you. I guess I'm what you'd call a subway alum. I want to win!

Getting beat by Alabama by 28, Clemson by 27, and worst of all, Michigan by 31 is NOT acceptable!

If Urban wants to come here, which I doubt, I welcome him.

I have known quite a few subway alums and all that I have known are very good, loyal fans of the university. You all are just as valuable to the university as the actual alums. I just am not a fan of some of Urban's personality traits, such as lying for example.
God, Country, Notre Dame

PreviousNext

Return to Everything About College Football