Register

Allstate Sugar Bowl

This is the one to use if you want to talk about general college football topics.
The Postmaster General
User avatar
Posts: 9198
Joined: July 30th, 2013, 1:08 pm
Location: Suwanee, GA

Re: Allstate Sugar Bowl

Postby Dubby » January 4th, 2019, 12:03 pm

Aloha Nole wrote:
Dubby wrote:
Domer wrote:Georgia definitely looked like they didn't want to be there.

:roll:


I repeat what I told Dawg Fans

You had your shot and couldn't hold 14 point lead

Why invite to you CFP for repeat of the same thing?

This program while better still not quite there yet

There was no reason to invite them to see a repeat performance

IMO, either Bama or Clemson would beaten them same way.

The committee got it right by NOT inviting Georgia


I would have been completely done with CF if they had invited a two loss, non-champ over an undefeated Notre Dame. And to even think that they should have is ridiculous.

IMO, tOSU, and probably even Washington deserved to be in BEFORE UGa.


Agreed on all points

I told Herbie on twitter he was full of crap

He still stood by his UGA was top four

I stood by they had their shot and they failed

You don't give them a do-over with two losses to repeat the same performance

IMO, the Texas game cemented the committee got it right

You don't show up for Texas would have been ditto on CFP
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Artist FKA SECRules
Posts: 2822
Joined: July 30th, 2013, 12:17 pm
Location: Metro Atlanta

Re: Allstate Sugar Bowl

Postby MikeTheTiger » January 4th, 2019, 1:38 pm

Dubby wrote:I also think the punter knee touching the ground wiping out big punt was huge early on as well


Good point. Without those 10 points being gifted to them, the complexion of the game is very different. That doesn't mean Georgia would have won, but it's a lot easier to fight back down 10-7 than down 20-7.

The Straw That Stirs the Drink
User avatar
Posts: 5298
Joined: July 30th, 2013, 3:12 pm
Location: Portlandia

Re: Allstate Sugar Bowl

Postby Iconoclast » January 4th, 2019, 3:24 pm

*YNC* MikeTheTiger wrote:
Dubby wrote:I also think the punter knee touching the ground wiping out big punt was huge early on as well


Good point. Without those 10 points being gifted to them, the complexion of the game is very different. That doesn't mean Georgia would have won, but it's a lot easier to fight back down 10-7 than down 20-7.


It was poor execution plain and simple. Good teams don't do that, which partially explains why Alabama continues to be near or at the top of the college football landscape every year.
Make GASF Great Again!

The Turnover Chain
Posts: 1267
Joined: August 26th, 2013, 3:20 am
Location: Bryant Ark

Re: Allstate Sugar Bowl

Postby GR82BACANE » January 4th, 2019, 5:50 pm

Iconoclast wrote:
*YNC* MikeTheTiger wrote:
Dubby wrote:I also think the punter knee touching the ground wiping out big punt was huge early on as well


Good point. Without those 10 points being gifted to them, the complexion of the game is very different. That doesn't mean Georgia would have won, but it's a lot easier to fight back down 10-7 than down 20-7.


It was poor execution plain and simple. Good teams don't do that, which partially explains why Alabama continues to be near or at the top of the college football landscape every year.


That and they spend a lot of money paying kids.. The NCAA is a joke Selective enforcement of certain rules. Miami just made a point of saying this that the reason they are losing some of the top kids in south Florida is they are taking payments. Well guess whom is getting these kids. Bama, UGA,

Don't bite me, you little @#$%!
User avatar
Posts: 689
Joined: July 30th, 2013, 12:43 pm
Location: Tomball, TX

Re: Allstate Sugar Bowl

Postby DiehardLonghornFan » January 5th, 2019, 11:44 pm

*YNC* MikeTheTiger wrote:
DiehardLonghornFan wrote:Guess SOMEBODY will have to talk about UGA's opponent. Virtually none of the talking heads gave TX a shot in this one, having them as 13 point underdogs. Although GA scored two TD's late, the game was pretty much dominated from start to finish by the Horns. I predicted 8-4 earlier this year and a mid tier bowl for this team. I am glad I was wrong. They will lose a lot of starters on defense but the offense looks good for next year if no one leaves early for the NFL. I see them competing again with OU for the top spot in the conference.


Texas certainly played a good game and deserved to win, but I wouldn't say they dominated. If Georgia doesn't fumble at their own 12, the score is 13-7 for most of the game.



TX held GA to 72 yards rushing - (did anyone in the SEC hold them to that low of output), while TX rushed for 178 yards. Time of possession was 10 minutes greater for TX. GA had 50 more yards passing but TX had higher overall yardage. If that is not a domination - especially when considered to be 13 point underdogs - I don't know what you call it, Mike.
HOOK 'EM!

The Artist FKA SECRules
Posts: 2822
Joined: July 30th, 2013, 12:17 pm
Location: Metro Atlanta

Re: Allstate Sugar Bowl

Postby MikeTheTiger » January 6th, 2019, 12:17 am

DiehardLonghornFan wrote:TX held GA to 72 yards rushing - (did anyone in the SEC hold them to that low of output), while TX rushed for 178 yards. Time of possession was 10 minutes greater for TX. GA had 50 more yards passing but TX had higher overall yardage. If that is not a domination - especially when considered to be 13 point underdogs - I don't know what you call it, Mike.


There is no question that Texas' defense played very, very well. If you just meant their defense was dominating, then I don't have an issue with that. They just weren't generating a lot of offense of their own, so it wasn't really domination on both sides of the ball. It was a defensive slug fest on both sides. The botched punt and fumble were the biggest difference in the game.

The Straw That Stirs the Drink
User avatar
Posts: 5298
Joined: July 30th, 2013, 3:12 pm
Location: Portlandia

Re: Allstate Sugar Bowl

Postby Iconoclast » January 6th, 2019, 2:13 am

Bottom line is that for those that, ex post, said that ND (and/or OK) didn't deserve to be in the playoffs based upon the outcomes, those folks need to show up now and admit that Georgia didn't belong in based upon that same criteria. Oddly, those folks aren't showing up.
Make GASF Great Again!

Don't bite me, you little @#$%!
User avatar
Posts: 689
Joined: July 30th, 2013, 12:43 pm
Location: Tomball, TX

Re: Allstate Sugar Bowl

Postby DiehardLonghornFan » January 7th, 2019, 8:33 am

*YNC* MikeTheTiger wrote:
DiehardLonghornFan wrote:TX held GA to 72 yards rushing - (did anyone in the SEC hold them to that low of output), while TX rushed for 178 yards. Time of possession was 10 minutes greater for TX. GA had 50 more yards passing but TX had higher overall yardage. If that is not a domination - especially when considered to be 13 point underdogs - I don't know what you call it, Mike.


There is no question that Texas' defense played very, very well. If you just meant their defense was dominating, then I don't have an issue with that. They just weren't generating a lot of offense of their own, so it wasn't really domination on both sides of the ball. It was a defensive slug fest on both sides. The botched punt and fumble were the biggest difference in the game.


Mike - TX had 355 yards total offense - 178 on the ground and 177 through the air. TX was not going to have 500 yards of offense on this GA defense. Taking a 21 point lead in the early fourth quarter tells me that both the offense AND defense played well. Yes, the botched punt and fumble did assist TX, but that is part of any game - capitalization of the other teams mistakes.
HOOK 'EM!

The Artist FKA SECRules
Posts: 2822
Joined: July 30th, 2013, 12:17 pm
Location: Metro Atlanta

Re: Allstate Sugar Bowl

Postby MikeTheTiger » January 7th, 2019, 9:32 am

DiehardLonghornFan wrote:Mike - TX had 355 yards total offense - 178 on the ground and 177 through the air. TX was not going to have 500 yards of offense on this GA defense. Taking a 21 point lead in the early fourth quarter tells me that both the offense AND defense played well. Yes, the botched punt and fumble did assist TX, but that is part of any game - capitalization of the other teams mistakes.


LSU had 475 yards of offense against GA and Bama, Missouri and UMass had right around 400. I'm not suggesting Texas had a bad game. We just clearly have a different definition of domination. As I said, Texas deserved to win the game because they didn't make mistakes like Georgia did. I just wouldn't describe a game that would have been close the whole way and might have ended in a different outcome but for mistakes on the part of the other team as domination.

Previous

Return to Everything About College Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests