Register

GOODYEAR COTTON BOWL CLASSIC - CFP SEMIFINAL

This is the one to use if you want to talk about general college football topics.
The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Re: GOODYEAR COTTON BOWL CLASSIC - CFP SEMIFINAL

Postby Iconoclast » January 2nd, 2019, 1:21 am

*YNC* MikeTheTiger wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:
Maz wrote:Well... at least Notre Dame brought some ratings to this game.

Thank god we don't have to deal with a closely fought game involving two SEC teams in the playoffs, because who wants a competitive game when you can have this thrillfest.

Closely fought game? You mean like the Texas Georgia game?

Georgia clearly came out flat and spotted Texas a 17-0 lead (including a 12-yard TD drive after a fumble). It was just too big a hill for them to climb to get back into it. It's easy to say that the final score was closer than the game actually was, but that fumble really changed the entire complexion of the game. Georgia deserved to lose that one, for sure, but I'm not sure it really told us much about their true level. That said, combining this loss with the LSU loss certainly makes any claims to deserving a playoff spot hard to make.

It was a three TD lead for Texas when I posted and it was clear at that point that GA was outclassed. My remarks by the way, about the result in this game are as meaningless as anyone else's claims that ND or OU didn't deserve to get in based upon how their respective playoff games turned out. Ex ante, the committee makes their selections. So questioning those selections based upon ex post results is meaningless.
Make GASF Great Again!

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » January 2nd, 2019, 1:30 am

Iconoclast wrote:It was a three TD lead for Texas when I posted and it was clear at that point that GA was outclassed. My remarks by the way, about the result in this game are as meaningless as anyone else's claims that ND or OU didn't deserve to get in based upon how their respective playoff games turned out. Ex ante, the committee makes their selections. So questioning those selections based upon ex post results is meaningless.

Understood. I wasn't really trying to call you out for your characterization of the game. We agree on trying to look at results in hindsight to judge the committee's decisions.

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » January 3rd, 2019, 11:28 am

Jake wrote:Clemson wins, 30-3.

Notre Dame falls to 0-6 in BCS/NY6 bowls over the past 20 years. All defeats have been by double digits. Two of those losses were dealt to them by Ohio State. All that's changed is the date on the calendar. :pfft:

Hi, Jake. I'm sorry to see that you're still a hater, but that is certainly your right.

As for this year's Cotton Bowl, I frankly was embarrassed by Notre Dame's performance. I agree that the loss of Julian Love was huge, but doesn't explain Notre Dame's inability to score more than 3 points. What was embarrassing to me was that by the late third quarter, our guys had given up. To me, it's not necessarily embarrassing to lose, but it is embarrassing to give up.

:oops:
God, Country, Notre Dame

Postby Iconoclast » January 3rd, 2019, 12:32 pm

Domer wrote:Hi, Jake. I'm sorry to see that you're still a hater, but that is certainly your right.

As for this year's Cotton Bowl, I frankly was embarrassed by Notre Dame's performance. I agree that the loss of Julian Love was huge, but doesn't explain Notre Dame's inability to score more than 3 points. What was embarrassing to me was that by the late third quarter, our guys had given up. To me, it's not necessarily embarrassing to lose, but it is embarrassing to give up.

Previous losses have no impact on the current outcome, however I suspect ND fans have to wonder why their team seems to suffer so many bad post season games.
Make GASF Great Again!

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » January 3rd, 2019, 12:36 pm

Iconoclast wrote:
Domer wrote:Hi, Jake. I'm sorry to see that you're still a hater, but that is certainly your right.

Previous losses have no impact on the current outcome, however I suspect ND fans have to wonder why their team seems to suffer so many bad post season games.

Do you think?

:P
God, Country, Notre Dame

Postby Iconoclast » January 5th, 2019, 12:50 am

Thank god we don't have to deal with a closely fought game involving two SEC teams in the playoffs, because who wants a competitive game when you can have this thrillfest.

Just a drive by post or are you compiling your thoughts regarding the whole playoff selections given Georgia's loss?

And where is Jake by the way?
Make GASF Great Again!

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » January 5th, 2019, 12:16 pm

Iconoclast wrote:

Just a drive by post or are you compiling your thoughts regarding the whole playoff selections given Georgia's loss?

And where is Jake by the way?

That an opinion

We have no way of knowing 2 loss UGA would have provided a more competitive game

After seeing their performance Vs Texas I say NO they wouldn't have been more competitive

It would have been them same results more than likely worse with a healthy Tua this time around
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

Previous

Return to Everything About College Football