Register

GOODYEAR COTTON BOWL CLASSIC - CFP SEMIFINAL

This is the one to use if you want to talk about general college football topics.
The Artist FKA SECRules

Re: GOODYEAR COTTON BOWL CLASSIC - CFP SEMIFINAL

Postby MikeTheTiger » December 31st, 2018, 12:53 pm

Jake wrote:You're both overlooking the real reason ND was in the CFP - special treatment. They should've played Clemson a month earlier, but when you get to be 98% of a conference the 2% gives you a bye, a full share of the cash, and keeps another team out. The Tigers would've blown their doors off in Charlotte, opening a spot for Georgia or Ohio State.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7751

You can argue the monetary splits, but I think it's ridiculous to suggest that teams be forced to join conferences to be given consideration for the playoffs. Was it special treatment for Miami and PSU when they won titles as independents? No one is forcing conferences to have conference championship games. That is a choice they made.

The Green Jersey

Postby irish 78 » December 31st, 2018, 1:17 pm

I agree with Mike on all of his replies.

The conference championship argument falls flat this year because only the Alabama - Georgia game was a match up of 2 outstanding teams. Northwestern and Pitt were probably the 4th and 5th best teams ND played in the regular season this year and they were the teams OSU and Clemson got to play in conference championship games.

If ND had to play Clemson or Georgia to get into the playoffs, that would have been a problem for ND (although Georgia only beat ND by 1 point in 2017). If they had to play Pitt or Northwestern or a comparable team, I think think they win pretty easily.

I think the conference championship game structure is more of a problem than ND not having to play an extra game. As the divisions stand now, the Big 10 is unlikely to get their 2 best teams in their championship game in the near future.

Postby MiaDomer » January 1st, 2019, 5:31 pm

Jake,

This is THE issue I have with you. The antipathy you hold towards ND is way too over the top (even for the most self-described ND haters). It appears to me, that no matter what ND does, you find supreme fault with it. For instance, your last comments suggesting that ND receives special treatment for NOT being in a conference. First, most people would view that as being overly fallacious in that typically NOT being in a conference hurts the ability to get into the CFP. Secondly, I know this has been pointed out hundreds of times on this board alone that ND has a philosophy to be independent so that each season there is a greater opportunity for their alumni fan base to attend away games which are close to their homes since ND has more opportunities to schedule teams throughout the US-- not just regionally if entered in a conference. Now you may not agree with that philosophy but that is what ND has been committed to for decades. Thus, it annoys me when you just pound them on that decision like ND is somehow greatly benefitting from said decision.

Postby MiaDomer » January 1st, 2019, 5:36 pm

irish78: I apologize if you may have felt my comments were directed toward you.
They are actually intended for my new friend for 2019, Jake. :D

Postby Jake » January 1st, 2019, 6:54 pm

MiaDomer wrote:irish78: I apologize if you may have felt my comments were directed toward you.
They are actually intended for my new friend for 2019, Jake. :D

ND got smoked in a big bowl for the umpteenth time in the past 20+ years. Only "domers" were surprised by the outcome, ND having been gifted with a spot higher than their worth (again) with predictable results. It's old news. :roll:

Happy new year, friend.

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » January 1st, 2019, 7:29 pm

It's laughable that people use results to question the selections. I don't recall a bunch of complaining right after the selections were made, much less any analysis to show how the committee got it wrong. Plus, ND was #3, the last team in was Oklahoma, so if any team should be questioned it would be OU, however I think OU's performance was strong and shouldn't leave any room for questioning their inclusion. This is like wanting to select lottery numbers after the numbers have been chosen.

And is is just me that remembers some posts by the Ohio State faithful during a bad three or four game stretch where Ohio State was playing poorly against inferior opponents? A big win over Michigan didn't offset that poor three or four game stretch. And if anything, Michigan showed that Harbaugh teams also don't show up in big games.
Make GASF Great Again!

Postby MiaDomer » January 1st, 2019, 9:39 pm

My friend,

I suppose the "gifting" in your mind precluded THE OSU from making the CFP? But, you then try to sanction any comment on OSU poor play or especially their lopsided loss to Purdue? I will definitely give you credit for your attempt at the debating ploy. However, I'm calling you-- in that you can't have it both ways. You can't slam ND but somehow conveniently ignore the entirety of OSU's season. I think many would cry "special treatment" (Big 10 pedigree) had OSU made the CFP.

On the up side ( ;) , who knew we'd be chatting as friends for 2019 :shock:

Captain Patriotic Analogy

Postby Seattle Irish » January 1st, 2019, 10:23 pm

Jake wrote:You're both overlooking the real reason ND was in the CFP - special treatment. They should've played Clemson a month earlier, but when you get to be 98% of a conference the 2% gives you a bye, a full share of the cash, and keeps another team out. The Tigers would've blown their doors off in Charlotte, opening a spot for Georgia or Ohio State.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7751

OSU got their helmets shoved way up by Purdon't, which turned out to be not the 2nd, 3rd, and maybe not even the 4th best team in their conf.. They certainly weren't going in before UGA.

Given the current score it looks more like Texas should have been there along with Oklahoma.

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » January 1st, 2019, 11:30 pm

Maz wrote:Well... at least Notre Dame brought some ratings to this game.

Thank god we don't have to deal with a closely fought game involving two SEC teams in the playoffs, because who wants a competitive game when you can have this thrillfest.

Closely fought game? You mean like the Texas Georgia game?
Make GASF Great Again!

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » January 2nd, 2019, 12:32 am

Iconoclast wrote:
Maz wrote:Well... at least Notre Dame brought some ratings to this game.

Thank god we don't have to deal with a closely fought game involving two SEC teams in the playoffs, because who wants a competitive game when you can have this thrillfest.

Closely fought game? You mean like the Texas Georgia game?

Georgia clearly came out flat and spotted Texas a 17-0 lead (including a 12-yard TD drive after a fumble). It was just too big a hill for them to climb to get back into it. It's easy to say that the final score was closer than the game actually was, but that fumble really changed the entire complexion of the game. Georgia deserved to lose that one, for sure, but I'm not sure it really told us much about their true level. That said, combining this loss with the LSU loss certainly makes any claims to deserving a playoff spot hard to make.

PreviousNext

Return to Everything About College Football