Register

GOODYEAR COTTON BOWL CLASSIC - CFP SEMIFINAL

This is the one to use if you want to talk about general college football topics.

Re: GOODYEAR COTTON BOWL CLASSIC - CFP SEMIFINAL

Postby Jake » December 29th, 2018, 6:59 pm

Xenon wrote:Ok ....

Someone help me learn to like Clemson ....

Listening this morning, I think I like Dabo.... he sounds like a great guy.

I don't know why ... and can't really point to anything that I don't really like about Clemson, but somehow I always find myself routing against them ...

BUT, at this point, that seems futile ...

SOOOOOOO Why SHOULD I LIKE Clemson afterall ....

There's nothing to like about Dabo. Unfortunately, both teams can't lose.

But I will say I haven't encountered a single arrogant, delusional Clemson fan over the past month. :whistle:

Postby Jake » December 29th, 2018, 7:46 pm

Clemson wins, 30-3.

Notre Dame falls to 0-6 in BCS/NY6 bowls over the past 20 years. All defeats have been by double digits. Two of those losses were dealt to them by Ohio State. All that's changed is the date on the calendar. :pfft:

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » December 29th, 2018, 8:27 pm

Using Maz's logic of wanting a close game, then they should have put Syracuse in the game. They played Clemson as close as anyone this year.
Make GASF Great Again!

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » December 29th, 2018, 8:38 pm

Jake wrote:Clemson wins, 30-3.

Notre Dame falls to 0-6 in BCS/NY6 bowls over the past 20 years. All defeats have been by double digits. Two of those losses were dealt to them by Ohio State. All that's changed is the date on the calendar. :pfft:

Notre Dame lowest point total 3 in their 35 bowl history

How is this different from 2012?

If they wanted perception changed this game sure didn't do that.
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

Postby Jake » December 29th, 2018, 10:05 pm

Dubby wrote:
Jake wrote:Clemson wins, 30-3.

Notre Dame lowest point total 3 in their 35 bowl history

How is this different from 2012?

If they wanted perception changed this game sure didn't do that.

Five squeakers against ho hum teams, overrated and humiliated in the end - 2012 and 2018 were quite similar.

For their sake, let's hope this time their wins aren't vacated for using ineligible players. ;)

Postby MiaDomer » December 30th, 2018, 12:56 pm

geez Jake,

how to be a total jackass
what's the deal on why you hate ND so much

Postby Jake » December 31st, 2018, 10:42 am

MiaDomer wrote:geez Jake,

how to be a total jackass
what's the deal on why you hate ND so much

Let's see, special treatment by conferences, TV networks, and selection committees, and an arrogant fan base who thinks they deserve special treatment, for starters.

But I'll give you credit for actually showing up, even if it was just to insult me. I'm still waiting for one of your fellow Irish "fans" to come back and make another crack about Purdue. :lol:

The Green Jersey

Postby irish 78 » December 31st, 2018, 12:06 pm

I think the game with Clemson was much different than the 2012 game with Alabama. The 2012 game was over after 2 possessions when ND was down 14-0. The Clemson game was 9-3 with 2 minutes left in the first half. Clemson scored 2 quick TDs at the end of the 2nd quarter to have what amounted to an insurmountable lead given the quality of the Clemson defense.

ND needed to get some breaks to hang with Clemson and didn't get them. The 4 calls that the replay official overturned in the first half all went against ND. Two were pretty obvious, but 2 looked to me like there wasn't conclusive evidence to overturn them and the replay official was substituting his judgement for the refs on the field. Clemson probably has earned some calls based on the last 4 years, but it isn't something ND was good enough to overcome.

The injury to Julian Love was huge. He is a Thorpe finalist and had the ability to stay with any Clemson's receivers. There was a big drop off when he was out. ND seemed to blitz less when Love was out. The early blitzes seemed to work. Maybe that was just the way the game developed and they would have blitzed less even with Love playing and maybe the ineffective ND offense lead to the defense being tired, but the ND defense got worse without Love as the second quarter progressed.

I am not going to apologize for ND being in the game. They earned it by going undefeated in the regular season. Their wins were at least as impressive as Clemson's wins. Michigan was better than A&M. They both beat Syracuse and Pitt. Stanford was a pretty good win. Va Tech is usually tough at home. It is not ND's fault that FSU and USC were down. ND beat Northwestern and Pitt who were the teams OSU and Clemson had to beat to win their conferences. Not an overwhelming task by either.

I went to the ND games against Vanderbilt and Pit. Neither was a good performance by ND. Against Vanderbilt, it looked like Wimbush was trying to be a pass first QB. He almost refused to run when open. I assume Kelley told him to do that in order to protect him from taking a big hit, but it made him a very ineffective QB and lead to Book starting. I think Wimbush could have been a very effective quarterback this year if the offense was designed for his strengths.

Pitt had a very good defensive game plan and almost got a win out of it. They pressured Book and made him throw early or run instead of passing. ND found a way to win, which is what you have to do when you don't play your best.

I would prefer an 8 team playoff with no conference championship games, which probably would have matched ND with OSU in round 1. A motivated and engaged OSU team would probably have won that game. OSU has as much talent as Clemson or Georgia and they are terrific when they come to play. I am not sure what was the problem was with OSU this year. Maybe Meyer's suspension hurt them more than they let on.

OSU looked terrible at times against bad teams. Maryland ran all over them and scored more than 50 points. Purdue beat them by 4 touchdowns. As long as it is a matter of opinion who gets in the playoff, games like those are going to hurt you if you are competing with teams that have the same record as you for a play off spot. The playoffs are supposed to reward teams for what they do during the season, not picking the most talented teams regardless of record.

As for ND, they have had 2 good seasons in a row and 3 out of 4. Kelly might have finally built a good program. He isn't recruiting as well as Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, OSU or Michigan and that should hurt over time.

I think we might have seen Kelly's ceiling. Kelly's major weakness is his hiring of assistant coaches. He has good coordinators now. If they move on, I worry about who he will replace them with. This season ND missed Harry Hiestand who is coaching the Bears O-line and doing a great job. Kelly replaced him with a crony and the O-line was not a strength for ND this year.

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » December 31st, 2018, 12:29 pm

irish 78 wrote:ND needed to get some breaks to hang with Clemson and didn't get them. The 4 calls that the replay official overturned in the first half all went against ND. Two were pretty obvious, but 2 looked to me like there wasn't conclusive evidence to overturn them and the replay official was substituting his judgement for the refs on the field. Clemson probably has earned some calls based on the last 4 years, but it isn't something ND was good enough to overcome.

I had to run a couple errands and had to listen to that part of the game on the radio, so I didn't see the replays myself, but the radio commentators seemed to feel that the fumble on the kickoff by Clemson wasn't conclusive.

irish 78 wrote:The injury to Julian Love was huge. He is a Thorpe finalist and had the ability to stay with any Clemson's receivers. There was a big drop off when he was out. ND seemed to blitz less when Love was out. The early blitzes seemed to work. Maybe that was just the way the game developed and they would have blitzed less even with Love playing and maybe the ineffective ND offense lead to the defense being tired, but the ND defense got worse without Love as the second quarter progressed.

ND probably would have still lost, but the game would have been much more respectable if Love hadn't gone out in the 2nd quarter. Lawrence picked the defense apart with him out and ND abandoning the blitz. It was a defensive struggle up to that point and was a defensive struggle in the second half after he returned. ND didn't generate any offense, which was the undoing, but it may have been only a one or two-score game had Love not been injured.

irish 78 wrote:I am not going to apologize for ND being in the game. They earned it by going undefeated in the regular season. Their wins were at least as impressive as Clemson's wins. Michigan was better than A&M. They both beat Syracuse and Pitt. Stanford was a pretty good win. Va Tech is usually tough at home. It is not ND's fault that FSU and USC were down. ND beat Northwestern and Pitt who were the teams OSU and Clemson had to beat to win their conferences. Not an overwhelming task by either.

Hindsight is 20-20. It's easy to say ND didn't belong after they got beat badly, but their performance in the regular season earned them the bid. Yes, they had some early struggles before Book took over, but they looked good the rest of the season with the exception of the USC game. They weren't giving up 40+ per game like Oklahoma and didn't have a bad loss like Ohio St. Ohio St had their own set of struggles in other games as well, so I'd hardly say that ND's close calls were proof that OSU deserved the bid ahead of them. Georgia may have been a better team, but they also had a bad loss to LSU and already got their shot against Bama.

irish 78 wrote:As for ND, they have had 2 good seasons in a row and 3 out of 4. Kelly might have finally built a good program. He isn't recruiting as well as Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, OSU or Michigan and that should hurt over time.

ND just doesn't have the natural recruiting base those programs have. Demographic shifts have taken away the advantages ND had in the past. I think ND's recruiting has been very good in that context and Kelly's ability to win with the talent he has is strong.

irish 78 wrote:I think we might have seen Kelly's ceiling. Kelly's major weakness is his hiring of assistant coaches. He has good coordinators now. If they move on, I worry about who he will replace them with. This season ND missed Harry Hiestand who is coaching the Bears O-line and doing a great job. Kelly replaced him with a crony and the O-line was not a strength for ND this year.

I think you're probably right about Kelly's ceiling, but I would suggest that ceiling probably coincides with ND's absent the hire of the very elite of elites who can win anywhere. Right now, that looks like Saban, Swinney and Urban Meyer if he ever decides to return. There aren't a whole lot of other coaches that I would consider to be superior to Kelly.

Postby Jake » December 31st, 2018, 12:35 pm

You're both overlooking the real reason ND was in the CFP - special treatment. They should've played Clemson a month earlier, but when you get to be 98% of a conference the 2% gives you a bye, a full share of the cash, and keeps another team out. The Tigers would've blown their doors off in Charlotte, opening a spot for Georgia or Ohio State.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7751

PreviousNext

Return to Everything About College Football