Register

How good is Clemson really?

This is the one to use if you want to talk about general college football topics.
The X-Man Cometh

Re: How good is Clemson really?

Postby Xenon » January 1st, 2019, 7:43 pm

I think Clemson looks like they play at half throttle most games because they only need to play half way to win ....

Which means we really have no idea UNTILL they play full out for the CFP and against BAMA in the NCG ....

I think they really are REALLY good ...

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » January 1st, 2019, 7:45 pm

irishmark wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:Sure any team can lose. And Bama teams have had off games in years past where they ended up losing. However I have yet to see where they didn’t dominate in a game this year. Unlike other teams who have played lesser competition and struggled at times. I watched that game last night and they mugged LSU. Not sure if LSU has that lousy of an offense or if Bama D is that good, but Bama didn’t allow LSU to do anything. Meanwhile Bama in offerse was as balanced as ever. Good luck to teams trying to shut down Tualiovoa.

To me it looked like the LSU we've seen for the last 10 years! Good defense and no offense. And Bama has given up some points this year. Arkansas scored 31 on them.

And here we are two months later and nothing has happened that invalidated any of my posts about Alabama this year. On the other hand, Clemson is playing better as the year goes on and appears to be peaking so it could be a tight title game, however I still expect Bama to prevail.
Make GASF Great Again!

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » January 3rd, 2019, 11:01 am

Jake wrote:How good is Clemson? About 4 touchdowns better than Notre Dame.

Yep!

:oops:
God, Country, Notre Dame

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » January 8th, 2019, 7:11 am

So ... as it turns out ... Clemson was only playing 1/4 throttle all year, not even 1/2 throttle .... and they are really really really good.

BUT.... How do you tell the Really Really Really good team playing 1/4 throttle most of the season from the Really Good team playing 1/2 throttle all year from the Good Team playing full throttle all year?

We NEVER really saw THIS Clemson until the ND game (maybe the Pitt ACC CG) .... but there certainly were hints that this team was there. But we also have examples of teams that showed hints of being really good, and then flopped and in the end were playing as well as they could (not 1/2 throttle) afterall.

Congrats to Clemson .... great Bowl Season ...

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » January 8th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Jake wrote:
Xenon wrote:So ... I saw that Louisville was in a game today with 77 points ... so I figured the Basketball season must of started ... or not....

Clemson has been blowing people out lately.... but hasn't played anyone.

The FIRST RANKED TEAM that they play all year might be in the CFP... or maybe in the ACC Championship game, maybe....

SOOOO are they really the second best team in the country, or just a good team that looks really really good against weaker competition ....

I can't decide ... are they better than Georgia and Florida and LSU .... who ALSO blew out unranked teams but have loses because they played top ranked teams .... OR not?

I'm not sure how to even tell ... I think their competition is sooo bad that you can't really tell anything about them ....

How good is Clemson? About 4 touchdowns better than Notre Dame.

Obsess much?

They're also 4 touchdowns better than Bama!

And Purdon't is apparently 4 touchdowns better than tOSU. :pfft:
"I don't care if Pat Terrell is so wide open, you could walk up and hand him the football! Take the sack"!

Lou Holtz to Tony Rice.

His Noliness

Postby *YNC* Aloha Nole » January 8th, 2019, 4:42 pm

irishmark wrote:And Purdon't is apparently 4 touchdowns better than tOSU. :pfft:

Touche' :touche:
Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, author of "Lone Survivor," described Navy Seal Medal of Honor recipient LT Michael Murphy as "An iron-souled warrior of colossal and almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy."

N is for kNowledge

Postby bob » January 8th, 2019, 7:46 pm

I did not see anything resembling dominance last night, and the stats bear that out. Alabama had more first downs, time of possession and rushing yards. Clemson had 52 more passing yards. Alabama was not blown off the field. Until that last drive, Clemson could not run the ball at all.

What I did see was Alabama struggle with consistency, especially in the red zone, make bad decisions and lose their cool.

Clemson was the better team last night, but they weren't 4 touchdowns better than Alabama. It was nowhere near the completely dominant thrashing they gave Notre Dame.

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » January 8th, 2019, 11:07 pm

bob wrote:I did not see anything resembling dominance last night, and the stats bear that out. Alabama had more first downs, time of possession and rushing yards. Clemson had 52 more passing yards. Alabama was not blown off the field. Until that last drive, Clemson could not run the ball at all.

What I did see was Alabama struggle with consistency, especially in the red zone, make bad decisions and lose their cool.

Clemson was the better team last night, but they weren't 4 touchdowns better than Alabama. It was nowhere near the completely dominant thrashing they gave Notre Dame.

I don't know what game you were watching then

Stats don't always tell the story the scoreboard does

This was first time 109 games Alabama failed to get a turnover or a sack

No Saban coached team have ever given up turnover for 6 points in the first drive

This was largest margin of defeat of Saban coached Bama team

Bama was trailing huge most of the 2nd half being forced to pass you're going to rack up yards passing

Make no mistake about Bama got their A$$ kicked

FR WR with 6 catches for 153 yards and TD on National stage is butt whopping
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » January 8th, 2019, 11:17 pm

Dubby wrote:
bob wrote:I did not see anything resembling dominance last night, and the stats bear that out. Alabama had more first downs, time of possession and rushing yards. Clemson had 52 more passing yards. Alabama was not blown off the field. Until that last drive, Clemson could not run the ball at all.

I don't know what you were watching then

Bama did leave points on the table early with the false start at the 1 and the bad overthrow for an INT when they were driving. That led to the silly fake FG and having to go for it on 4th a couple of other times because they were so far behind. Bama easily could have scored 30+ points if not for some mistakes and bad decisions.

That said, much of Clemson's domination against ND came while Julian Love was out of the game. That one could have been much closer without that injury. Ulimately, Clemson was aided some by chance in both blowouts, but they were clearly the better team. I don't think anyone can walk away from those games feeling like Alabama belonged while ND did not.

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » January 8th, 2019, 11:26 pm

*YNC* MikeTheTiger wrote:
Dubby wrote:

I don't know what you were watching then

Bama did leave points on the table early with the false start at the 1 and the bad overthrow for an INT when they were driving. That led to the silly fake FG and having to go for it on 4th a couple of other times because they were so far behind. Bama easily could have scored 30+ points if not for some mistakes and bad decisions.

That said, much of Clemson's domination against ND came while Julian Love was out of the game. That one could have been much closer without that injury. Ulimately, Clemson was aided some by chance in both blowouts, but they were clearly the better team. I don't think anyone can walk away from those games feeling like Alabama belonged while ND did not.

Keep in mind Clemson was missing Dexter Lawrence DT upfront in both games if we're going talk about missing players we can't ignore that.

I never for second say margin of victory means Bama didn't belong

I do feel it shows this one Clemson team for the ages
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

PreviousNext

Return to Everything About College Football