Register

How good is Clemson really?

This is the one to use if you want to talk about general college football topics.
The X-Man Cometh

How good is Clemson really?

Postby Xenon » November 3rd, 2018, 8:57 pm

So ... I saw that Louisville was in a game today with 77 points ... so I figured the Basketball season must of started ... or not....

Clemson has been blowing people out lately.... but hasn't played anyone.

The FIRST RANKED TEAM that they play all year might be in the CFP... or maybe in the ACC Championship game, maybe....

SOOOO are they really the second best team in the country, or just a good team that looks really really good against weaker competition ....

I can't decide ... are they better than Georgia and Florida and LSU .... who ALSO blew out unranked teams but have loses because they played top ranked teams .... OR not?

I'm not sure how to even tell ... I think their competition is sooo bad that you can't really tell anything about them ....

The Curmudgeon

Re: How good is Clemson really?

Postby Domer » November 4th, 2018, 9:16 am

That is a very good question, Xenon. I don't know the answer, but I recognize a good question.

:)

They are obviously a very good team, but I'm not sure if they are Top 4 or not.
God, Country, Notre Dame

Captain Patriotic Analogy

Postby Seattle Irish » November 4th, 2018, 10:46 am

Domer wrote:That is a very good question, Xenon. I don't know the answer, but I recognize a good question.

The way Bamma is playing right now they could cover 1-4, and the rest should be 5-7. :P

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » November 4th, 2018, 12:08 pm

Seattle Irish wrote:
Domer wrote:That is a very good question, Xenon. I don't know the answer, but I recognize a good question.

The way Bamma is playing right now they could cover 1-4, and the rest should be 5-7. :P

Let's go back to pre 1970 and crown their ass! Sorry Denny Green.

The good thing is it's not baseball where you have to win 4 of 7. Its strap it up for one game.

If they're unbeatable, then give up. Dont play it.

If we were always intimidated by unbeatable teams, then we'd have...

The 1980 Soviet Gold medal hockey team.

Super Bowl 3 champion Baltimore Colts

An 89+ game winning streak for UCLA.

Strap it up and beat them.
"I don't care if Pat Terrell is so wide open, you could walk up and hand him the football! Take the sack"!

Lou Holtz to Tony Rice.

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » November 4th, 2018, 2:36 pm

Sure any team can lose. And Bama teams have had off games in years past where they ended up losing. However I have yet to see where they didn’t dominate in a game this year. Unlike other teams who have played lesser competition and struggled at times. I watched that game last night and they mugged LSU. Not sure if LSU has that lousy of an offense or if Bama D is that good, but Bama didn’t allow LSU to do anything. Meanwhile Bama in offerse was as balanced as ever. Good luck to teams trying to shut down Tualiovoa.
Make GASF Great Again!

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » November 4th, 2018, 4:47 pm

Iconoclast wrote:Sure any team can lose. And Bama teams have had off games in years past where they ended up losing. However I have yet to see where they didn’t dominate in a game this year. Unlike other teams who have played lesser competition and struggled at times. I watched that game last night and they mugged LSU. Not sure if LSU has that lousy of an offense or if Bama D is that good, but Bama didn’t allow LSU to do anything. Meanwhile Bama in offerse was as balanced as ever. Good luck to teams trying to shut down Tualiovoa.

To me it looked like the LSU we've seen for the last 10 years! Good defense and no offense. And Bama has given up some points this year. Arkansas scored 31 on them.
"I don't care if Pat Terrell is so wide open, you could walk up and hand him the football! Take the sack"!

Lou Holtz to Tony Rice.

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » November 4th, 2018, 5:18 pm

So, I think there are at least 5 teams that if they played Clemson's schedule would also be undefeated....
Alabama
Georgia
Michigan
LSU
Notre Dame

I think there are 5 more teams the might also be undefeated
Oklahoma (lost to Texas, whereas Clemson beat TA&M... I think those two are probably pretty close ... Oklahoma may or may not have beaten TA&M in the same circumstance)
Kentucky (lost in OT to TA&M when Clemson beat TA&M by 2 ... so again, maybe or maybe not, it's close)
West Virginia
Ohio State
MAYBE Washington State
Maybe UCF .... best win is Pitt (ranked in the 30s) which they won comfortably, which is perhaps close to NC State or TA&M which is Clemson's best win...

So, IF everyone played Clemson's schedule, I think there would be between 5 and 10 teams with more or less identical results against that schedule....

SO, where to put Clemson in that Group. I think they ARE better than WSU and UCF and West Virginia ... who might be undefeated but I don't think as good. I think Clemson is probably truely better than Ohio State, Kentucky and Oklahoma because the DIDN'T actually lose when they stumbled against TA&M and Syracuse, and those team did.

In a week or so we find one common opponent between Clemson and Notre Dame, and we can get some idea of how to compare them. And once Clemson plays South Carolina, we'll have some comparisons with some of the SEC teams.

I do think Clemson should be in the top 6 ... but I honestly have no idea if they are #2 or #4 or #6 in that group of 6 at the top...

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » November 4th, 2018, 5:56 pm

Can't just compare Clemson with notre dame against Syracuse.

Both have already played Wake. Clemson won by 60 and notre dame by 28 over Wake. This week ND plays fsu. Dont know if comparing scores is a fair representation of how they should be ranked. Clemson beat Syracuse by 4. If ND wins by 10+ should ND be ranked ahead of Clemson? Not necessarily!

Lou Holtz to Tony Rice.

Postby Redwood » November 4th, 2018, 5:57 pm

Based on the past five years and recruiting stats it seems to me that Clemson has earned the benefit of the doubt, so I figure they really are a top four team.
I do not believe in atheists. Therefore they do not exist.

Postby Jake » January 1st, 2019, 6:56 pm

Xenon wrote:So ... I saw that Louisville was in a game today with 77 points ... so I figured the Basketball season must of started ... or not....

Clemson has been blowing people out lately.... but hasn't played anyone.

The FIRST RANKED TEAM that they play all year might be in the CFP... or maybe in the ACC Championship game, maybe....

SOOOO are they really the second best team in the country, or just a good team that looks really really good against weaker competition ....

I can't decide ... are they better than Georgia and Florida and LSU .... who ALSO blew out unranked teams but have loses because they played top ranked teams .... OR not?

I'm not sure how to even tell ... I think their competition is sooo bad that you can't really tell anything about them ....

How good is Clemson? About 4 touchdowns better than Notre Dame.

Next

Return to Everything About College Football