Register

Rules Question ... changing your mind on accept/decline

This is the one to use if you want to talk about general college football topics.
The X-Man Cometh

Rules Question ... changing your mind on accept/decline

Postby Xenon » October 17th, 2020, 11:53 am

So, it's last night BYU/Houston game, HOUSTON changed their mind on a penalty really really late ...

So, BYU didn't make the yardage for a first down, but was close enough for a field goal, with an offensive penalty on the play. Houston declined the penalty, making it a fourth Down. BYU brings out the field goal team, ball is set, everyone getting ready for the play ... THEN the officials blow the whistle... And announce that Houston has changed their minds, and wants the penalty afterall, so the mark of the penalty and now it third down and longer....

I have seen the officials talk to the sidelines for a long time on yes or no. I have seen a player saying "YES" and the coach overrule them ... but usually all that is BEFORE the officials make the anouncement, mark of the yardage, set the ball, etc ... I've never see a "oh wait, we just saw what you are going to do, and we change our minds on what we want" change of a penalty decision...

Is that NORMAL, and I just don't remember, or is that kind of weird?

Ack! Ththbbthttbt!

Re: Rules Question ... changing your mind on accept/decline

Postby Willie the Wildcat » October 18th, 2020, 7:56 am

It sure at all what the rule allows, but I would think once the ball is set and the play clock started, that's it.

Ack! Ththbbthttbt!

Re: Rules Question ... changing your mind on accept/decline

Postby Willie the Wildcat » October 18th, 2020, 7:57 am

Doh... "I'm not sure..."

Return to Everything About College Football