Register

Orgeron: LSU locker room lacking A/C at Texas

This is the one to use if you want to talk about general college football topics.
The Postmaster General

Orgeron: LSU locker room lacking A/C at Texas

Postby Dubby » September 11th, 2019, 7:48 am

Texas claims they had AC. Two visiting teams say it was not working

Texas should be ashamed of themselves and yes the two teams should have complained very loudly to Texas

The conditions in Texas this time of year says this is MAJOR problem for wealthy B5 programs with facilities their home team has and shows off.

LSU's victory on the road against Texas on Saturday night came without the benefit of an air-conditioned visitors locker room, according to Tigers coach Ed Orgeron.

Speaking with reporters Monday about the 45-38 win, Orgeron said he was tipped off to the lack of air conditioning by Louisiana Tech, which played at Texas a week earlier, and brought fans as a supplement.

It wasn't great, but it was better. At least we had air in there," Orgeron said. "[Louisiana Tech] didn't have air. We had some blowers in there. I don't think that caused as much as going out there and having to play 93 plays on defense. I think that had a lot to do with it."

The temperature at kickoff was upward of 95 degrees, and several LSU players had to leave the game due to cramping and other injuries.

Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte issued a statement following Orgeron's comments, saying it was the "first we've heard of any issues in that area."

"We provide one of the best visitor setups available and are proud of the efforts we put forth in hosting our guests," the statement read. "Our facilities staff did not receive any complaints from either Louisiana Tech or LSU, and we've confirmed that our air conditioning in the visiting locker room is in good working order."

Orgeron said that although it was hot, the humidity "wasn't like Louisiana." Moving forward, he said the team will use more IVs at halftime as a preventative measure.
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Re: Orgeron: LSU locker room lacking A/C at Texas

Postby Iconoclast » September 11th, 2019, 2:56 pm

First they’ve heard of it? I somehow doubt that. Why would La Tech say something to LSU but not to UT? And I’m sure that the AC is in perfect working order, as is the on off switch. Why teams feel the need to pull stunts for a competitive edge is beyond me. However LSU isn’t innocent either. Those cramps the players kept having always occurred when Texas was in hurry up and was having success. Don’t tell me that LSU didn’t practice and plan for players going down with cramps to stop momentum. I let unfortunate that coaches have to rely on garbage tactics to help give their team an edge, coaching and execution isn’t enough apparently.
Make GASF Great Again!

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » September 11th, 2019, 3:34 pm

Iconoclast wrote:First they’ve heard of it? I somehow doubt that. Why would La Tech say something to LSU but not to UT? And I’m sure that the AC is in perfect working order, as is the on off switch. Why teams feel the need to pull stunts for a competitive edge is beyond me. However LSU isn’t innocent either. Those cramps the players kept having always occurred when Texas was in hurry up and was having success. Don’t tell me that LSU didn’t practice and plan for players going down with cramps to stop momentum. I let unfortunate that coaches have to rely on garbage tactics to help give their team an edge, coaching and execution isn’t enough apparently.

It hot as hell in LA this time of year so LSU should be very familiar with the heat. I also thought it strange LA-Tech spoke with LSU but, than again they may have decided to warn them to be prepared.

Why would Orgeron pull any stunts? LSU won the game and looked impressive doing so

But, if it were me I would have been screaming bloody murder had I arrived and AC was not working.

You need locker room relief and I know from Ice Bowl I played in and we went in at half and the heat was out

Neutral field so our opponents had no heat either

It was fixed for the Saturday game played that weekend for Akron U. But, we froze our :censor: off on Friday night
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » September 11th, 2019, 10:36 pm

Icono, several players were sent back to the locker room to get IVs, so it wasn’t just a stunt with a miraculous recovery on the next play. Three of the players are being held out of practice as a precaution. LSU should have been better prepared for the heat, but this wasn’t just an act.

Postby Iconoclast » September 12th, 2019, 1:52 pm

MikeTheTiger wrote:Icono, several players were sent back to the locker room to get IVs, so it wasn’t just a stunt with a miraculous recovery on the next play. Three of the players are being held out of practice as a precaution. LSU should have been better prepared for the heat, but this wasn’t just an act.

I did some looking Mike to see how much validity there is to this being actual cramping.

Sure, there may have been a few players who actually had cramps and needed attention, as you say, however there were 12 that went down with cramps. Seems odd for a team whose head coach stated that it's hotter in Louisiana. The trainer did try to give an alternate explanation, but it seems rather self serving and his statements seem contradictory:

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/09/11/lsu-texas-cramp-heat-dehydration-grant-delpit

“Another type of cramp you get comes with anxiety,” says Jack Marucci, LSU’s head athletic trainer. “In the bigger games, your body can stress more and that could mean lack of sleep, that could mean if you’re tense, and you seem to see more cramping.”

Marucci recalls games against Auburn last year and Florida two years ago being hotter and nobody got cramps.

so apparently Texas causes lots of anxiety and stress and fatigue but Auburn and Florida don't. Also, it seemed like the impacts were to defensive players on LSU, the offensive ones seemed fine. As did the Texas players.

I don't doubt that heat and stress and fatigue were there and that maybe a player or two got impacted by it, however for 12 defensive players to go down, and always after Texas had gotten off a large gain rather than after 2 yard loss running play, implies that perhaps some strategy was at play. It wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last time that players had various issues that delayed a team on a roll.

To me, I don't care who won the game so this isn't any sour grapes on behalf of Texas (seeing the burnt orange lose never saddens me) but I don't like gamemanship such as cramps or faulty AC to play a role in the game jut like I don't want bad calls to play a role. Orgeron can complain about the AC but Texas should feel free to complain about the cramps. Either that or both should shut up and both teams should do away with the garbage and just coach and play the game.
Make GASF Great Again!

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » September 12th, 2019, 6:16 pm

Texas disagrees.

https://es.pn/2UUBn9Z
"I don't care if Pat Terrell is so wide open, you could walk up and hand him the football! Take the sack"!

Lou Holtz to Tony Rice.

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » September 12th, 2019, 7:57 pm

irishmark wrote:Texas disagrees.

https://es.pn/2UUBn9Z

According to a spreadsheet provided to ESPN by the Texas athletics department on Thursday, the air conditioning was indeed working in LSU's locker room. The spreadsheet showed the thermostat was set to 68 degrees, and the temperature in the locker room averaged about 72-73 degrees. Texas also released charts and graphs showing air flow into the locker room.

The temperature peaked at 74.7 degrees when the game ended, according to UT, which is when LSU's players, coaches and other personnel were re-entering the locker room from the field. Texas' locker rooms are equipped with monitoring systems that measure their temperatures in various areas every 15 minutes.

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby MikeTheTiger » September 12th, 2019, 9:27 pm

Icono, I cannot verify the legitimacy of every player who went down with cramps. All I can say is that multiple players went to the locker room for IVs and multiple players have been held out of practices this week. There clearly were real issues for a number of the players. There are differences between the way a player's body reacts to a dry heat vs. humidity so there is no reason to think that LSU's player should have been acclimated to the dry heat in Austin. Why was it only defensive players? They were the ones that faced a 19 play Texas drive that kept them on the field for 26 minutes in real time. They were the ones that faced 93 plays in total in near 100 degree temps. The rules that prevent substitutions when the offense does not substitute create circumstances where players cannot get off the field when they are tiring. Offensive players can simply sub out. The type of exertion needed to play defense vs offense is different. It wasn't just this game or it isn't just a new phenomenon that defensive players are more prone to cramping. Regardless, it had no impact on the outcome since Texas scored on every drive in the second half anyway.

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » September 12th, 2019, 9:53 pm

MikeTheTiger wrote:Icono, I cannot verify the legitimacy of every player who went down with cramps. All I can say is that multiple players went to the locker room for IVs and multiple players have been held out of practices this week. There clearly were real issues for a number of the players. There are differences between the way a player's body reacts to a dry heat vs. humidity so there is no reason to think that LSU's player should have been acclimated to the dry heat in Austin. Why was it only defensive players? They were the ones that faced a 19 play Texas drive that kept them on the field for 26 minutes in real time. They were the ones that faced 93 plays in total in near 100 degree temps. The rules that prevent substitutions when the offense does not substitute create circumstances where players cannot get off the field when they are tiring. Offensive players can simply sub out. The type of exertion needed to play defense vs offense is different. It wasn't just this game or it isn't just a new phenomenon that defensive players are more prone to cramping. Regardless, it had no impact on the outcome since Texas scored on every drive in the second half anyway.

MTT is so right

dry heat vs. humidity

There is a difference I've been in LA late August humidity. Like HELL on Earth

I've been in Texas dry heat in late August Like HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on earth

I've also been in Arizona and Nevada in middle of heat seasons. I'll argue all day long with anyone says dry heat is not as bad as humidity. OH HELL NO :x

There reason Texas Rangers are building new Stadium with retractable roof to replace Stadium that just made 25 years old this season

They have attendance problems because of the heat even when they're winning playing in open air stadium

Postby Iconoclast » September 13th, 2019, 2:05 am

Haha. Yes there is a big difference between dry heat and none dry heat however Never heard of Austin being “dry” heat. That’s funny. Talk to someone from Colorado where it was 100 and 15% humidity, I lived it. Or Phoenix where the humidity is even lower. I just googled the average humidity in September in Austin and it said 68. In Baton Rouge it’s 77. I couldn’t find the humidity for the game. Nor did I look for the humidity for Baton Rouge for the past day 3 weeks to see if there is some egregious difference. However based upon the averages that I found, please tell me that you can feel the difference in heat when the humidity is 68 vs 77. And again, I’ve never heard of 68 being a dry climate. Lol. And fwiw a dry heat is a lot easier to deal with. Lastly, my daughter attends a small little school, even if it division 1, and even they have constant hydration testing. At Colorado they were probing those girls for bios constantly and knew way too much about their bodies. And CU soccer is no where near what LSU football is in terms of money and capabilities for monitoring those players. I would hope lack of hydration wasn’t a factor. Sure maybe 1 or 2 but not 12. Even the trainer in the article I posted, which apparently no one read, said they monitor constantly and he tried to claim it was stress. Or fatigue. Or ...

So apparently you want me to believe it wasn’t gamesmanship based upon:
- dry vs wet heat
- stress
- fatigue
- no AC in the locker room.

At least LSU isn’t claiming the dog ate their homework as an excuse.
Make GASF Great Again!

Next

Return to Everything About College Football