Register

Coaching Carousel

This is the one to use if you want to talk about general college football topics.
The Postmaster General

Re: Coaching Carousel

Postby Dubby » December 6th, 2018, 8:50 am

bob wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:
GR82BACANE wrote:USC made the hire of the year

Kingsbury as OC.

I knew he would not be out of coaching long. I wonder how hard of a run LSU and other likely teams made at him? To me, he is exactly what LSU needed to be a threat to Alabama.

Alabama would eat up Kingsbury's one-dimensional offense. LSU needs something more balanced like Oklahoma runs.

I wouldn't bet the farm on that

Bama defense have been beaten by passing over the years Clemson and Ohio St exploited that in CFP
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » December 6th, 2018, 5:35 pm

Aloha Nole wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:
GR82BACANE wrote:USC made the hire of the year

Kingsbury as OC.

I knew he would not be out of coaching long. I wonder how hard of a run LSU and other likely teams made at him? To me, he is exactly what LSU needed to be a threat to Alabama.

FSU sure could have used him.

Only a hunch, but would not be surprised if Taggert felt threatened by him and was not interested for that reason. Who knows, maybe they made a run at him or USC just threw so much money at him that no one else had a shot.
Make GASF Great Again!

His Noliness

Postby Aloha Nole » December 6th, 2018, 6:11 pm

Iconoclast wrote:
Aloha Nole wrote:FSU sure could have used him.

Only a hunch, but would not be surprised if Taggert felt threatened by him and was not interested for that reason. Who knows, maybe they made a run at him or USC just threw so much money at him that no one else had a shot.

I heard that FSU was interested, but obviously not enough to get him.
Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, author of "Lone Survivor," described Medal of Honor recipient LT Michael Murphy as "An iron-souled warrior of colossal and almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy."

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » December 6th, 2018, 6:32 pm

Aloha Nole wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:
Aloha Nole wrote:FSU sure could have used him.

I heard that FSU was interested, but obviously not enough to get him.

And had they gotten him, then they heat would really be on Taggert to deliver. Not that it isn't now, but it would take away an excuse.
Make GASF Great Again!

N is for kNowledge

Postby bob » December 6th, 2018, 10:32 pm

Dubby wrote:
bob wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:

Alabama would eat up Kingsbury's one-dimensional offense. LSU needs something more balanced like Oklahoma runs.

I wouldn't bet the farm on that

Bama defense have been beaten by passing over the years Clemson and Ohio St exploited that in CFP

Clemson's and Ohio State's offenses have more resembled Oklahoma's than TT's. Yes, they throw a lot, but they endeavor to create a better threat from the backfield. The increased uncertainty as to what will happen next is what works against Alabama. Yes, Kingsbury's offense at aTm in 2012 superficially resembled a diverse attack when he had Manziel as his QB, but that was similar to Steve Young getting rushing yards at BYU and San Francisco. Kingsbury's flavor of the Leach offense doesn't have the intrinsic diversity of threats necessary to seriously challenge a Saban defense.

N is for kNowledge

Postby bob » December 6th, 2018, 10:40 pm

As an addendum, if LSU wants to beat Alabama, they should consider stealing another coach from Oklahoma State, Mike Yurcich, their offensive coordinator.

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby *YNC* MikeTheTiger » December 7th, 2018, 10:30 pm

bob wrote:As an addendum, if LSU wants to beat Alabama, they should consider stealing another coach from Oklahoma State, Mike Yurcich, their offensive coordinator.

I agree with that 100%. Of the OC's haven't already gotten head coaching jobs, he appears to be the most innovative. I'm just not convinced Orgeron is going to allow a creative OC to run the kind of offense that it is going to take to get past Bama. The one thing that got Miles fired is just repeating itself again with Orgeron.

N is for kNowledge

Postby bob » December 8th, 2018, 2:28 am

*YNC* MikeTheTiger wrote:
bob wrote:As an addendum, if LSU wants to beat Alabama, they should consider stealing another coach from Oklahoma State, Mike Yurcich, their offensive coordinator.

I agree with that 100%. Of the OC's haven't already gotten head coaching jobs, he appears to be the most innovative. I'm just not convinced Orgeron is going to allow a creative OC to run the kind of offense that it is going to take to get past Bama. The one thing that got Miles fired is just repeating itself again with Orgeron.

I was going to post that offensive conservatism is the price of having a defense-oriented head coach, but there are a lot of defensive coaches that have embraced higher risk and a lot of offensive coaches that avoid risk at all costs. I wonder to what degree Miles and Orgeron have been more concerned about losing to the programs they shouldn't than about beating Alabama. This situation could be of the fans' and administration's making rather than a revelation of those two coaches' lack of tolerance for risk.

The Turnover Chain

Postby GR82BACANE » December 11th, 2018, 3:35 pm

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby *YNC* MikeTheTiger » December 11th, 2018, 9:36 pm

bob wrote:
*YNC* MikeTheTiger wrote:

I was going to post that offensive conservatism is the price of having a defense-oriented head coach, but there are a lot of defensive coaches that have embraced higher risk and a lot of offensive coaches that avoid risk at all costs. I wonder to what degree Miles and Orgeron have been more concerned about losing to the programs they shouldn't than about beating Alabama. This situation could be of the fans' and administration's making rather than a revelation of those two coaches' lack of tolerance for risk.

I think that's a fair question, though I'm not sure it's one that can be easily answered. It's probably not an either/or question. LSU fans won't really tolerate either. They have been spoiled by 2 NCs and 4 SEC championships in the 11 year period from 2001-2011. Anything less than competing regularly for championships isn't acceptable in the current environment. LSU has a remarkable streak of winning 8+ games for 19 straight seasons. Being consistently good wasn't good enough for Miles to keep his job. It is true that LSU hasn't lost to a team with a losing record since 2005, but that doesn't mean they haven't lost games they shouldn't have. This year is actually the closest to that being true in recent years. I don't think they should have lost to either Florida or A&M, but those were road games against teams that are close to comparable. Before that they lost to Troy in 2017 and 7 teams with 5 or 6 losses from 2013-2016. It really was the combination of those bad losses and the inability to beat Alabama that led fans to sour on Miles. If Miles' goal was to avoid the bad losses at the expense of losing to Bama, he really didn't succeed anyway.

Previous

Return to Everything About College Football