Register

CFP projections ...

This is the one to use if you want to talk about general college football topics.
The Postmaster General

Re: CFP projections ...

Postby Dubby » October 10th, 2018, 8:10 am

irishmark wrote:
Notre Dame is playing a team that has beaten a contender the last few years. But with Ian now playing quarterback and Dexter in at running back I have a lot of confidence.

However everyone better be ready to play.

Your schedule is not doing you any favors

Great you have confidence in this team

Sorry to say I don't think their top 5 caliber off what I've seen

I know I'll be accused of stepping on someone parade. But, struggling with Ball St and Vandy at home in one possession wins and giving up 27 points to Wake. Beating VT team who gave the game away (Yes they did) out gained ND 142-23 in 2nd Qtr missing chance after chance.

All of that would give me much pause with this team. But, that just me
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » October 10th, 2018, 10:03 am

Dubby wrote:
irishmark wrote:
Notre Dame is playing a team that has beaten a contender the last few years. But with Ian now playing quarterback and Dexter in at running back I have a lot of confidence.

However everyone better be ready to play.

Your schedule is not doing you any favors

Great you have confidence in this team

Sorry to say I don't think their top 5 caliber off what I've seen

I know I'll be accused of stepping on someone parade. But, struggling with Ball St and Vandy at home in one possession wins and giving up 27 points to Wake. Beating VT team who gave the game away (Yes they did) out gained ND 142-23 in 2nd Qtr missing chance after chance.

All of that would give me much pause with this team. But, that just me

I would have a lot of pause if Brandon Wimbush was still the quarterback. They struggled with Ball State because we had a bad quarterback playing. Against Wake, we finally played Book and Dexter came off his suspension. And we gave up two mop up touchdowns with our #2 defense. I didn't have a problem with that. Virginia Tech, yes Bud Foster's defense had us (me) worried, and yes, they outgained us in the second quarter by a lot. But fortunately the game was 4 quarters and Notre Dame made adjustments on the OL and we had 300 yards in the second half.

You're not stepping on anyone's parade. It's an opinion. I share some of it. I share the thought that we could trip up. I've seen it to often over the last 25 years. Pitt could beat us! Northwestern, Navy, USC! We need to be ready to play.

This is just two different football teams with Brandon at QB or Ian at QB. I'm far more confident with Ian Book.
Motivation is simple! You eliminate those that are not motivated!

Lou Holtz

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby *YNC* MikeTheTiger » October 10th, 2018, 10:34 pm

Dubby wrote:Sorry to say I don't think their top 5 caliber off what I've seen

While I agree that they have shown some weaknesses, I wouldn't necessarily single them out in that regard (as mentioned before). You may be correct that they are not Top 5, but I think at this point you'd be hard pressed to say that anyone has really proven their position at the top. Alabama and Georgia? They really haven't beaten anyone. Ohio St? Got lucky to beat Penn St and were outplayed at times by TCU. Clemson? Needed a comeback to beat Syracuse and barely beat A&M. Penn St? Blew the Ohio St game, barely beat Appalachian St and have no real high quality wins. Oklahoma? Lost to Texas and needed OT against Army. Texas? Lost to Maryland. Who else would you put in the Top 5 that you can't make the same kinds of arguments against?

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » October 11th, 2018, 8:26 am

*YNC* MikeTheTiger wrote:

While I agree that they have shown some weaknesses, I wouldn't necessarily single them out in that regard (as mentioned before). You may be correct that they are not Top 5, but I think at this point you be hard pressed to say that anyone has really proven their position at the top. Alabama and Georgia? They really haven't beaten anyone. Ohio St? Got lucky to beat Penn St and were outplayed at times by TCU. Clemson? Needed a comeback to beat Syracuse and barely beat A&M. Penn St? Blew the Ohio St game, barely beat Appalachian St and have no real high quality wins. Oklahoma? Lost to Texas and needed OT against Army. Texas? Lost to Maryland. Who else would you put in the Top 5 that you can't make the same kinds of arguments against?

I've already made that argument against Oklahoma before the Texas game. As I've already said at this point There Bama and everybody else

I wouldn't pencil ANYONE in spots 2-5 at this point

I believe I've made that quite clear in this thread very premature to be talking top 4 with 6+ games to play. I surely haven't touted anyone outside of Bama and I've pointed out the fool folly to locking the very teams you've mentioned into playoffs spots at this juncture.

Top 5 caliber team would looked far better on the road Vs VT Saturday even with the switch at QB
VT outgained ND 141-23 yards in the 2nd Qtr. They had self inflicted miscue after miscue that cost them the game as much as ND beating them. A lineman downfield (about bonehead mistake as I've seen no one in front of him) a perfect designed TD pass, Un-rushed QB overthrows a wide open WR who could walked into the endzone. TB goes the wrong way on the ND one yard knocking his own QB down. The scoop score turnover they gave up in 3rd Qtr that blow open a close game and changed MO.

As I said earlier the what if teams to Dec is VERY premature at this point and I don't believe in anyone running the table just yet. Too many games to play too many unimpressive teams to date

I've posted OU schedule and will be doing the same for UGA, Ohio St and others in the top 10 this week leading up to Saturday games

As I said I agree with you this year is the poster child for mass chaos for the playoffs

I just don''t believe there going to be a lot of undefeated come Dec.

So when I saw what undefeated Georgia plays Undefeated Bama what if is what got me going. UGA offense has been lackluster most of the season and Missouri shredded their defense in Columbia. Missouri miscues saved the day for Georgia. So as they start murders row going in Baton Rouge this week. The rubber hits the road on this UGA team starting this week and teams they have left.
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » October 11th, 2018, 9:14 am

While I agree that they have shown some weaknesses, I wouldn't necessarily single them out in that regard (as mentioned before). You may be correct that they are not Top 5, but I think at this point you'd be hard pressed to say that anyone has really proven their position at the top. Alabama and Georgia? They really haven't beaten anyone. Ohio St? Got lucky to beat Penn St and were outplayed at times by TCU. Clemson? Needed a comeback to beat Syracuse and barely beat A&M. Penn St? Blew the Ohio St game, barely beat Appalachian St and have no real high quality wins. Oklahoma? Lost to Texas and needed OT against Army. Texas? Lost to Maryland. Who else would you put in the Top 5 that you can't make the same kinds of arguments against?

Alabama to me, while strong, isn't world beaters yet, given who they've played.

I think they're gonna have a fistfight at LSU.

What's your computer model say about Bama?

Lou Holtz

The Turnover Chain

Postby GR82BACANE » October 11th, 2018, 9:46 am

irishmark wrote:

Alabama to me, while strong, isn't world beaters yet, given who they've played.

I think they're gonna have a fistfight at LSU.

They have completely dominated every team they have played. The game is over by the end of the first quarter. I know I wouldn't want to see Miami play them. It would be the same 55-21 score as every other team they play.

I have seen some of their games. I can't stand Saban or Bama but this is the best team I have seen in a long time.

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » October 11th, 2018, 10:29 am

GR82BACANE wrote:
irishmark wrote:I think they're gonna have a fistfight at LSU.

They have completely dominated every team they have played. The game is over by the end of the first quarter. I know I wouldn't want to see Miami play them. It would be the same 55-21 score as every other team they play.

I have seen some of their games. I can't stand Saban or Bama but this is the best team I have seen in a long time.

I should clarify. While they've been impressive, the best two teams they've played are average Ole Miss and A&M! Their opponents are a combined 16-19 overall. I'm interested to see how they play at LSU! Even Saban's best teams had a loss (2012).

Lou Holtz

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » October 11th, 2018, 2:19 pm

GR82BACANE wrote:They have completely dominated every team they have played. The game is over by the end of the first quarter. I know I wouldn't want to see Miami play them. It would be the same 55-21 score as every other team they play.

This is where I am with Alabama. I guess people can say they haven't played anyone yet, but the teams they have played they have overwhelmed them. With their schedule now picking up better competition, we will really find out about them, but I fully expect a continuation of the blowouts. Maybe LSU gives them a good game, but I still think that Bama wins by 14-21. Auburn might give them a good game because that game always seems close, but again I see Bama winning.
Make GASF Great Again!

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » October 11th, 2018, 4:40 pm

Iconoclast wrote:
GR82BACANE wrote:They have completely dominated every team they have played. The game is over by the end of the first quarter. I know I wouldn't want to see Miami play them. It would be the same 55-21 score as every other team they play.

This is where I am with Alabama. I guess people can say they haven't played anyone yet, but the teams they have played they have overwhelmed them. With their schedule now picking up better competition, we will really find out about them, but I fully expect a continuation of the blowouts. Maybe LSU gives them a good game, but I still think that Bama wins by 14-21. Auburn might give them a good game because that game always seems close, but again I see Bama winning.

That where I am with Bama If you're going to beat them you better do it early. The weak link last season no matter his record was QB. I always felt if you could get them down an make them one dimensional you could beat them. Well Cow college did that and Georgia did that for half. With Tua they don't have that weakness. Their offense is explosive and can beat you both passing and running. Their only weakness I see is on the defensive side of the ball where they really haven't been tested. But, that offense will more than cover any defensive weakness and they'll work on the issues they had in the Arkansas game for games later

IMO, they're 1 in the playoffs. The only question is 2-4 and I'm not buying anyone else at this point. I believe that where the chaos is and everyone including the PAC 12 is still in it at this point. IMO, the next half of the season and CCG it where it really gets interesting.

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » October 11th, 2018, 6:41 pm

Dubby wrote:
That where I am with Bama If you're going to beat them you better do it early. The weak link last season no matter his record was QB. I always felt if you could get them down an make them one dimensional you could beat them. Well Cow college did that and Georgia did that for half. With Tua they don't have that weakness. Their offense is explosive and can beat you both passing and running.

I was actually thinking of making this same exact post. You are right, Tua can beat you with his arm and is a pretty solid runner and those running backs are extremely talented. Load the box this year and Tua throws over you all day long. Sit back, and they grind you down with the running game.
Make GASF Great Again!

PreviousNext

Return to Everything About College Football