Register

Kansas, we knew it was only a matter of time

This is the one to use if you want to talk about general college football topics.
The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Kansas, we knew it was only a matter of time

Postby Iconoclast » July 10th, 2018, 11:01 am

The Feds have subpoenaed Kansas in the long running investigation of sports apparel companies funneling money to players. If the universities were involved, I don't know why the death penalty wouldn't be invoked for these schools.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kansas-tacitly-acknowledges-subpoenaed-ongoing-federal-basketball-investigation-142515144.html
Make GASF Great Again!

The Postmaster General

Re: Kansas, we knew it was only a matter of time

Postby Dubby » July 10th, 2018, 3:18 pm

Iconoclast wrote:The Feds have subpoenaed Kansas in the long running investigation of sports apparel companies funneling money to players. If the universities were involved, I don't know why the death penalty wouldn't be invoked for these schools.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kansas-tacitly-acknowledges-subpoenaed-ongoing-federal-basketball-investigation-142515144.html

Its not just Kansas

AAU is ruining HS and college basketball

That where the problem starts with these kids and only get worse as they get older

Its all about stuff and wanting to get paid

AAU is all about slam dunking and 3pt shooting

Sorely lacking are the basic fundamentals needed to really be good at basketball and not another one and done at the back of bench by 2nd and 3rd season. (see Oakafor led Duke to last title now riding the pine in Milwaukee his 2nd team is just two seasons).

One of my nephews best friend son is 13 and budding star in basketball. Pulled him out of AAU as he wasn't getting training he truly needs. Said the coaches were bunch selfish jerks teaching them how HS and colleges were using them

This is where our society is nowadays you have the Jason Whitlock's talking about little league and Pop Warner kids should be paid. :x
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

His Noliness

Postby Aloha Nole » July 10th, 2018, 3:46 pm

Dubby wrote:you have the Jason Whitlock's talking about little league and Pop Warner kids should be paid. :x

That is just about the DUMBEST thing that I have ever heard. SMDH
Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, author of "Lone Survivor," described Medal of Honor recipient LT Michael Murphy as "An iron-souled warrior of colossal and almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy."

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » July 10th, 2018, 4:20 pm

Aloha Nole wrote:
Dubby wrote:you have the Jason Whitlock's talking about little league and Pop Warner kids should be paid. :x

Agreed and one of the many reasons Whitlock is atop of my do not read, watch or listen list

I listen to lot of sports talk and overheard that being played while not actually looking or listen to him. The guys wanted to comment on it.

The moron, moron said as these organizations get more corporate sponsorship they need to compensate these kids :x

Forget the corp monies is buying much needed equipment and in couple of inner cites cleaning up parks so the kids have places to practice and play games. There no coaches getting paid outlandish salaries or perks. Most of guys do this for the love of the game.

But, the moron took the corp monies starting to flow into saying the discussion needs to take place :x

In places like Detroit and Chicago if not for corp monies many Pop Warner teams would be defunct now

Less than 2% of 500K playing college sports will go pro in sports. Less than 2%

So the 490K+ that will never see professional field at any level we should be compensating them for attending college. :x

As I've said here on twitter and calling in. $2,500 per Month for all Men/Women at B5 schools

If that not enough on top of all the other legal gravy. Then quit school and go get job if you need to be paid.

Okay off my :soap:
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

Ack! Ththbbthttbt!

Postby Willie the Wildcat » July 11th, 2018, 10:18 am

Not their first rodeo with the Feds either. For a number of years up to 2011, when the scheme was discovered, KU AD employees were re-allocating basketball tickets off the books to brokers. While overtly this was all for personal gain, all those involved pled out before trial and the full extent and disposition of the proceeds never truly traced or accounted. It was estimated that the overall dollar amount of the scheme exceeded $2.5 million, yet asset discovery for restitution only could locate a fraction. The general thought is that a portion was used as a slush fund, making its way to the players through the following scheme:

In a separate side "deal", a former player, employed in the AD, had a son who was on the team during the latter years of the scheme. In the course of the school's internal investigations into the larger ticket skimming scandal, the father was discovered to be inappropriately selling promotional ticket allotments, and pocketing the proceeds to the tune of over $800,000. KU handled this incident "internally", never pursuing broader public investigations into this aspect of the whole mess. Although his son was a legitimate contributor on the team, it was generally presumed this was the conduit for distribution of slush funds from both ticket schemes to the team.

And in a further shady deal, the sons of one of KU's most prominent boosters "happened" to be assigned, as students from the general population, as roommates to players. This blending of roommates at this time was not previously the policy at KU, and was, at the time, limited to just this family's sons. Since then, KU has perfected the concept by building a small 50 person dorm - enough space for the men's basketball team plus a slightly larger number of general population students to get around Title IX restrictions. General students are "selected" via an invitation process.

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » July 11th, 2018, 6:47 pm

Willie the Wildcat wrote:Not their first rodeo with the Feds either. For a number of years up to 2011, when the scheme was discovered, KU AD employees were re-allocating basketball tickets off the books to brokers. While overtly this was all for personal gain, all those involved pled out before trial and the full extent and disposition of the proceeds never truly traced or accounted. It was estimated that the overall dollar amount of the scheme exceeded $2.5 million, yet asset discovery for restitution only could locate a fraction. The general thought is that a portion was used as a slush fund, making its way to the players through the following scheme:

In a separate side "deal", a former player, employed in the AD, had a son who was on the team during the latter years of the scheme. In the course of the school's internal investigations into the larger ticket skimming scandal, the father was discovered to be inappropriately selling promotional ticket allotments, and pocketing the proceeds to the tune of over $800,000. KU handled this incident "internally", never pursuing broader public investigations into this aspect of the whole mess. Although his son was a legitimate contributor on the team, it was generally presumed this was the conduit for distribution of slush funds from both ticket schemes to the team.

And in a further shady deal, the sons of one of KU's most prominent boosters "happened" to be assigned, as students from the general population, as roommates to players. This blending of roommates at this time was not previously the policy at KU, and was, at the time, limited to just this family's sons. Since then, KU has perfected the concept by building a small 50 person dorm - enough space for the men's basketball team plus a slightly larger number of general population students to get around Title IX restrictions. General students are "selected" via an invitation process.

Ole Roy left Kansas in 2003, but I would not doubt that this scheme was going on under his tenure. And I've never thought Bill Self was on the up and up. No facts, just personal bias, but between what you are reporting and what is going on with the Feds, it is strong evidence that I am right in my suspicions of those two. Roy was cheating in Kansas and continued it at UNC. I'm not sure which is worse, a slush fund to pay players or academic fraud. But the poor tennis player at University of Portland had to pay the school $20 because he used a University hose and some University water to wash his car.
Make GASF Great Again!

The Turnover Chain

Postby GR82BACANE » July 12th, 2018, 8:09 am

It isn't like every top D1 program isn't giving illegal benefits. Those Bama players sure do have nice cars. The only reason Ole Miss got popped is because the dumb ass made a video and then told what he got if not the NCAA would have turned a blind eye. The NCAA is only interested in going after certain programs.

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » July 17th, 2018, 10:50 am

Aloha Nole wrote:

Agree 100%.
God, Country, Notre Dame

Return to Everything About College Football