Register

Kickoff Rule changes???

This is the one to use if you want to talk about general college football topics.

Re: Kickoff Rule changes???

Postby Michigan Grad » March 8th, 2018, 1:05 pm

Seattle Irish wrote:They would save time if they do away with the kickoff, and start each drive on the 25. They could use that extra time for commercials to generate more revenue. :wall:

Let's not stop there. :x
We all know that punts are dangerous for the well being of players as well. :roll:
Therefore, on 4th down, just like in Pop Warner, instead of punting the ball the officials place the ball 45 yards down field.
I can just imagine the riveting play call for a 3rd and 25 from the offense's 40 yard line.
Instead of trying a risky 25 yard pass and a possible interception, they play a field position game and dump it off to the receiver for a 10 yard gain so they can "coffin corner" the ensuing 45 yard "punt" to the opponents 5 yard line. :dead:

Where does this stupidity stop?
I've even heard that some officials here in Michigan want new 3 feet in diameter foam rolls around the goal posts to protect players.
Coaching is my passion:
Hockey - Plymouth Canton Hockey Association
Football - Cardinal Mooney High School

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » March 8th, 2018, 1:15 pm

Michigan Grad wrote:
Seattle Irish wrote:They would save time if they do away with the kickoff, and start each drive on the 25. They could use that extra time for commercials to generate more revenue. :wall:

Let's not stop there. :x
We all know that punts are dangerous for the well being of players as well. :roll:
Therefore, on 4th down, just like in Pop Warner, instead of punting the ball the officials place the ball 45 yards down field.
I can just imagine the riveting play call for a 3rd and 25 from the offense's 40 yard line.
Instead of trying a risky 25 yard pass and a possible interception, they play a field position game and dump it off to the receiver for a 10 yard gain so they can "coffin corner" the ensuing 45 yard "punt" to the opponents 5 yard line. :dead:

I've even heard that some officials here in Michigan want new 3 feet in diameter foam rolls around the goal posts to protect players.

Agreed :x
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » March 9th, 2018, 10:41 am

Michigan Grad wrote:

We played with old H goal posts or the offset version of H. Very few what we called Pro or college single bar to the ground goal posts

They were un-padded back then at most schools and we never ran into them in games or at practice.

That is one stupid request for additional foam for goalposts :x The game not played in the back of the endzone. :x
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

Postby hammerhead » March 9th, 2018, 4:58 pm

Instead of having foam wrapped around metal goalposts couldn't they just make them out of paper mache and only erect a set when there's a kick. Hell, they let pre-schoolers play with paper mache.

I'm more concerned with the 10 second runoff when a call is overturned. It doesn't happen all that often that the on-field refs are proved wrong but the powers-that-be seem bound and determined to penalize it when it happens. Why should either team be penalized whenever the correct outcome is (eventually) recognized?

The Artist FKA SECRules

Postby *YNC* MikeTheTiger » March 13th, 2018, 9:52 am

hammerhead wrote:I'm more concerned with the 10 second runoff when a call is overturned. It doesn't happen all that often that the on-field refs are proved wrong but the powers-that-be seem bound and determined to penalize it when it happens. Why should either team be penalized whenever the correct outcome is (eventually) recognized?

The issue here is what happens when a pass is originally called incomplete, but is overturned and ruled a complete pass? This happened in the LSU - Troy game at the end of the first half. Troy had no timeouts left and threw a long pass that was originally rule incomplete with one second left. Had the pass been ruled complete originally, they would have not have been able to get their FG unit onto the field in time and/or to spike the ball. But, because they stopped play to review the call before ultimately overturning it and ruling it complete, they were able to get their FG unit ready for play upon the whistle and kicked a FG that was the ultimate difference in the game. The point isn't to penalize anyone here, it's to make sure no one unduly profits from a stoppage of play that would not have happened if the call had been correct in the first place.

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » March 13th, 2018, 1:23 pm

*YNC* MikeTheTiger wrote:
hammerhead wrote:I'm more concerned with the 10 second runoff when a call is overturned. It doesn't happen all that often that the on-field refs are proved wrong but the powers-that-be seem bound and determined to penalize it when it happens. Why should either team be penalized whenever the correct outcome is (eventually) recognized?

The issue here is what happens when a pass is originally called incomplete, but is overturned and ruled a complete pass? This happened in the LSU - Troy game at the end of the first half. Troy had no timeouts left and threw a long pass that was originally rule incomplete with one second left. Had the pass been ruled complete originally, they would have not have been able to get their FG unit onto the field in time and/or to spike the ball. But, because they stopped play to review the call before ultimately overturning it and ruling it complete, they were able to get their FG unit ready for play upon the whistle and kicked a FG that was the ultimate difference in the game. The point isn't to penalize anyone here, it's to make sure no one unduly profits from a stoppage of play that would not have happened if the call had been correct in the first place.

Agreed

The NFL went to it as they felt it was giving teams an unfair TO.

Detroit Vs my Falcons last season. The running play was ruled a TD (It wasn't and I have the picture that clearly shows knee down and ball short of the goal line) 8 seconds was remaining and it would taken a miracle for Detroit to un-pile and gotten set to run another play on 4th down. The 10 second runoff ended the game without it Detroit gets a TO they don't have.

I like the rule as it not fair right or wrong on the call by the officials . Giving teams TO when they're out of them with less than a minute to play.

UNC beat Tennessee in Music City Bowl where if there was 10 second run off like there should have been. They don't get the extra play. That was play that started it all in college football.

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » March 28th, 2018, 4:27 pm

Make GASF Great Again!

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » March 28th, 2018, 6:51 pm

College football may not follow suit. While they have some similar rules. They have a lot that are not

One is the PI rule and I'm a staunch advocate for spot foul across the boards.

In the NFL its spot foul on PI

In college and HS its 15 yards or spot foul if pass play is less than 15 yards. Inside the red zone in the endzone its placed at the two yard line.

DC in college and HS teach kids to interfere on big pass plays, as we'll only lose 15 yards on penalty Vs 20-30-40 yards on big pass play. Maybe if they had spot foul they'd teach kids to do better coverage vs go ahead interfere with the guy if the ball coming your way.

My point is don't look for college to follow suit as I haven't heard the cries in college about kickoffs like the NFL

Ack! Ththbbthttbt!

Postby Willie the Wildcat » March 29th, 2018, 8:31 am

To veer off topic - I don't mind the NFL PI spot foul, but I do think there should be a "symmetrical" offensive penalty applied as well. What that is, I don't know. Change of possession is the only thing that comes to mind, but that's very severe. Yardage equal to the spot of the foul?

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » March 30th, 2018, 6:06 am

As for eliminating kickoffs, it would also eliminate onside kicks!!
Motivation is simple! You eliminate those that are not motivated!

Lou Holtz

PreviousNext

Return to Everything About College Football