Register

Shifting the Sports Calendar

This is the one to use if you want to talk about general college football topics.
The X-Man Cometh

Shifting the Sports Calendar

Postby Xenon » January 11th, 2018, 9:23 pm

Interesting Idea .....

Current Calendar has too many competing games, and if you shifted things a little bit, each sport would lose less to other sports ... The note on the article talks about avoiding College Basketball as well, but didn't put it on the graph ...

https://content.iospress.com/articles/j ... ics/jsa117

Move MLB baseball UP a month, so that the World Series is done BEFORE the NFL starts. Move NBA basketball back two months so that the NBA playoffs are after the end of the NHL playoffs and before the begining of the MLB playoffs.

No sports are competing for playoff "eyeballs" on TV, and most of the time, you only have two or three sports competing against each other for eyeballs on tv and butts in seats....

For college Football ... I'm guessing you switch to having all the conference championships on or around New Years Day, bowls all during January, and the championship game at the end of January...

Could it work?

The Artist FKA SECRules

Re: Shifting the Sports Calendar

Postby *YNC* MikeTheTiger » January 11th, 2018, 11:54 pm

I'm not sure I understand the need to shift the CF schedule based on this. What conflict exists that needs to be avoided? Nothing is going on at the end of August / beginning of September and no other playoffs / post season is going on in December / early January.

Ack! Ththbbthttbt!

Postby Willie the Wildcat » January 12th, 2018, 10:00 am

While perhaps optimizing TV viewership, there would be some pretty crappy fan experiences there, especially for college football and early baseball. You could try to schedule towards warmer climates to mitigate weather in baseball, but college football is nearly exclusively outside.

Not to mention throwing any vestige of the "scholar" part of scholar/athlete out the window by keeping weekly games going through December and finals.

I think its a solution in search of a problem.

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » January 12th, 2018, 10:44 am

*YNC* MikeTheTiger wrote:I'm not sure I understand the need to shift the CF schedule based on this. What conflict exists that needs to be avoided? Nothing is going on at the end of August / beginning of September and no other playoffs / post season is going on in December / early January.

Agreed

Not even going to comment the CF season is fine as it is
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » January 12th, 2018, 11:34 am

Willie the Wildcat wrote:While perhaps optimizing TV viewership, there would be some pretty crappy fan experiences there, especially for college football and early baseball. You could try to schedule towards warmer climates to mitigate weather in baseball, but college football is nearly exclusively outside.

Not to mention throwing any vestige of the "scholar" part of scholar/athlete out the window by keeping weekly games going through December and finals.

I agree with you, especially on the MLB portion. I can't imagine playing baseball in March. Some of the April games are bad enough. As to the college football, I agree to a degree. Currently the season mostly impacts one semester/quarter. Pushing it back would impact two. However, the one benefit to moving college football back would be that the students would mostly be in school when the season is being played. As it is now, for schools on the quarter system, school doesn't start until mid to late September meaning that there are three or four games where students aren't even in school yet. But who are we kidding, college athletics are basically full time sports, especially football, and college football players don't get much of a break away from the sport regardless of when the the games are played.
Make GASF Great Again!

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » January 12th, 2018, 12:54 pm

Iconoclast wrote:
Willie the Wildcat wrote:While perhaps optimizing TV viewership, there would be some pretty crappy fan experiences there, especially for college football and early baseball. You could try to schedule towards warmer climates to mitigate weather in baseball, but college football is nearly exclusively outside.

I agree with you, especially on the MLB portion. I can't imagine playing baseball in March. Some of the April games are bad enough. As to the college football, I agree to a degree. Currently the season mostly impacts one semester/quarter. Pushing it back would impact two. However, the one benefit to moving college football back would be that the students would mostly be in school when the season is being played. As it is now, for schools on the quarter system, school doesn't start until mid to late September meaning that there are three or four games where students aren't even in school yet. But who are we kidding, college athletics are basically full time sports, especially football, and college football players don't get much of a break away from the sport regardless of when the the games are played.

Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, Twin Cities all have had snow outs in April. So March makes even less sense for doing Baseball.

Our weather is flaky at times in March. Can be 70 one day cold rain and 40's the next. Our normal daily highs are mid 60's in March. But, we're known to get cold stretch of couple days during the month
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

Return to Everything About College Football