Register

Bob Stoops not interested in coaching the Bears

This is the one to use if you want to talk about general college football topics.
The Curmudgeon

Bob Stoops not interested in coaching the Bears

Postby Domer » June 19th, 2017, 6:34 am

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... ars-coach/

Bob Stoops made a stunning decision to retire as Oklahoma's coach last week after 18 seasons. 

Well, it was stunning for the rest of us. For Stoops, it was hardly a rash decision. This was a guy who was done coaching and content, at 56, to live out his life. 

Of course, there's always the chance Stoops will come out of retirement to coach again. The itch can be hard to cure and maybe a couple of years away from the game is all Stoops will eventually need. He certainly wouldn't be the first coach to do so. 

One team he's not interested in coaching, though: the Chicago Bears. 

The rumor mill churned some in light of Stoops buying a second home in the Gold Coast neighborhood of Chicago for $2.25 million. But in a radio interview with the Tulsa Sports Animal, Stoops shot down that A somehow connected to B. 

"That's a simple deal," Stoops said via the Tulsa World. "I got one that fits our style and what we want to do with our family better, and I'm gonna sell the other one. I'm not looking to coach in Chicago."

When pressed more, Stoops said it's his wife's favorite city "since we were in college, and we haven't moved to Chicago." 

There's been a longstanding belief that if Stoops ever left Oklahoma, it would be for the NFL, but he never followed through on it. It's too early to tell whether Stoops will coach again at any level, but right now, he seems to be enjoying life away from football. Let that run its course for a bit. 

The Tulsa World ended its piece by noting an important piece of context that might indicate Stoops' long-term plans better than anything he'll say now or in the future. 

"Also worth noting: Less than a week after retiring, a relaxed Stoops conducted this radio interview from a golf course alongside former coach and mentor Steve Spurrier."

If there was ever a reason to believe Stoops was done coaching for good, that was it. What you do tends to speak louder than what you say. 
God, Country, Notre Dame

Re: Bob Stoops not interested in coaching the Bears

Postby hammerhead » June 19th, 2017, 7:39 pm

When I first saw the headline of the post I thought it was referring to the BAYLOR Bears.

Captain Patriotic Analogy

Postby Seattle Irish » June 19th, 2017, 11:59 pm

hammerhead wrote:When I first saw the headline of the post I thought it was referring to the BAYLOR Bears.
Either one is pretty much a nightmare.

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » June 21st, 2017, 8:37 pm

The Chicago bears will likely pursue Jim Harbaugh when John Fox is fired!

Notice I said when?
Motivation is simple! You eliminate those that are not motivated!

Lou Holtz

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » June 22nd, 2017, 11:39 am

irishmark wrote:The Chicago bears will likely pursue Jim Harbaugh when John Fox is fired!

Notice I said when?

Hey they mortgaged the future for one year college QB starter.

Not confident this is year he turns it around with QB who couldn't beat out Marquise Williams (Not even in football now) for two years at UNC?
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » June 26th, 2017, 10:51 pm

The Gold Coast part of Chicago is just awesomeness. It would be so great to live there. I'd live there before I would life on Park Avenue in NY. But no way in hell would I want to coach the Bears if I were in his position.
Make GASF Great Again!

The Unimpeachable Source

Postby irishmark » June 26th, 2017, 11:24 pm

Dubby wrote:
irishmark wrote:The Chicago bears will likely pursue Jim Harbaugh when John Fox is fired!

Notice I said when?

Not confident this is year he turns it around with QB who couldn't beat out Marquise Williams (Not even in football now) for two years at UNC?

True, but Mike Glennon is this years starter
Motivation is simple! You eliminate those that are not motivated!

Lou Holtz

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » June 27th, 2017, 10:50 am

irishmark wrote:
Dubby wrote:

Notice I said when?

True, but Mike Glennon is this years starter

Glennon actually not bad. He really didn't have the offensive weapons when he was TB starting QB.
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

Return to Everything About College Football