Register

Notre Dame Cathedral Rebuild

Anything and everything (within reason) for all posters. Be sure to check out the "Rules and Notices" forum before posting.
The X-Man Cometh

Notre Dame Cathedral Rebuild

Postby Xenon » April 16th, 2019, 6:50 am

The pictures from the Fire at Notre Dame in Paris are just awful. I got to visit Notre Dame in Paris once while in Europe. Just an amazing place. The stained glass was so beautiful. The art inside so incredible.

I'm glad to see the pledges to rebuild. BUT, I have a question on that .... Rebuild to WHAT?

Do you rebuild it to look like Notre Dame 800 years ago, when it was just first "completed" or what it looked like 700 years ago? Or what it looked like 2 months ago right before the started the most recent renovation / restoration or what it was supposed to look like after this most recent renovation/restoration?

Do you rebuild it to meet current codes and laws ... like "ADA" (yeah, I know, "Americans with Disablities Act" doesn't apply in France, but I assume they have a similar law, I just don't know what it is called!) to make it more accessible to more people BUT change the layout? Do you rebuild with all new high code electrical - and if yes, are you willing to drill holes and such in the remaining stone to hide the electrical better than it was hidden before? Do you rebuild to somehow separate the "tourists" from the "worshipers" to allow the worshipers to have a more quiet and private experience (many cathedrals in Europe that I saw did this with velvet ropes, but you COULD rebuild to make that even more effective as an example). Do you rebuild the roof with "steel and metal" that is hidden, or with Wood beams again (even if they are hidden) to maintain the original feel?

Do you leave on section of wall smoke stained and unrestored to show the damage, or do you completely restore everything?

And 1000s of other questions ....

AND what ever answer you give, it's going to make some happy and some angry....

The Postmaster General

Re: Notre Dame Cathedral Rebuild

Postby Dubby » April 16th, 2019, 1:42 pm

They'll rebuild as close to scale as closely as they can

The Spire that fell yesterday was only added 150 years ago

They will build it as close to original as they can

I've been there and I've toured it

The Notre Dame Cathedral is Paris and they already raised over half billion dollars and counting towards rebuilding and the monies are pouring in

Having been there and seen this will take decades seeing the damage I've seen and noting they've always had restoration ongoing on the over 800 year old building
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » April 16th, 2019, 5:59 pm

And I believe that the art was replicas. According to my son, who is in the middle of AP European History, they took out the originals during the French Revolution so that they wouldn't get looted. Now maybe they put them back in, but according to him, they were not originals. I hope so.
Everything good that's ever happened to me came out of helping others. Danny Trejo

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » April 17th, 2019, 1:55 pm

What a horrific tragedy. There are thousands of questions to be answered and this will take some time.
God, Country, Notre Dame

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » April 18th, 2019, 8:36 pm

I am amazed and thrilled to see that in the inside was not nearly as bad as I feared. Seeing the pictures of the roof on fire and so much collapsed, I expected everything inside to be in sooooo much worse shape.

It's terrific and amazing and wonderful to see it's not nearly that bad.

HOPEFULLY the reality is that it's not as bad as it looked and it is mostly ok. I can't believe that 3 rose stain glass windows survived the fire. I never ever ever would have guessed that to be possible.

Anyway, here's hoping they can rebuild in 5 years. It looks far more doable than I ever imagined.

I'm sooooo thrilled to see that it's not as bad as it looked.

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » April 18th, 2019, 8:44 pm

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » April 19th, 2019, 7:34 am

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » April 20th, 2019, 2:46 pm

Xenon wrote:https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-france-can-rebuild-notre-dame/

From Scientific American ....

My understanding now is that it will again go through a holistic approach. They will review everything that happens: the daily religious life of the building, its culture significance, the flow for tourists, safety—many things will be put on the table. Some of it might bypass or sideline some of the original features in order to promote modern ones. I think it should be once again an emblematic restoration, in the sense that it should create debate. It should attract the best engineers, the best materials, important innovation. This building is an archaeological palimpsest. Our generation simply adds something to this, and the next generation will add something else. It’s an ongoing thing we need to consider.

Bottom line is don't expect this to done in few years more like decades

ND Cathedral is over 800 years old and has always been undergoing some type restoration. I know there was work being done when I there in 1990's.

This rebuild will take a long time
Commander Rasczak: Starship Troopers This is for all you new people. I have only one rule. Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself! Welcome to the Roughnecks!

Captain Patriotic Analogy

Postby Seattle Irish » April 21st, 2019, 8:00 am

I think the 5 year time frame is to get it to a point where the public is permitted to tour some areas, along with those attending to be able to do so. Total restoration is a long way off.

The Postmaster General

Postby Dubby » April 22nd, 2019, 5:47 pm

Seattle Irish wrote:I think the 5 year time frame is to get it to a point where the public is permitted to tour some areas, along with those attending to be able to do so. Total restoration is a long way off.

I'd agree with that

Next

Return to Free For All