Register

Welcome to the new GASF Message Board

Anything and everything (within reason) for all posters. Be sure to check out the "Rules and Notices" forum before posting.
The Artist FKA SECRules

Welcome to the new GASF Message Board

Postby MikeTheTiger » July 30th, 2013, 12:26 pm

After over 12 years using our old message board technology, the time has come to move on to a new system. Our host has had multiple issues with the servers and software in the last year or so with the worst episode occuring over the last several days. With no immediate solution in sight, we felt the time had come to go ahead and make this move. BullGator and I had discussed doing so several months back when I was unable to access the site for close to a week and this has necessitated the move.

We work on creating some links back to the old system, especially to maintain the Pickem and GACFFP, but it's inevitable that some things will be lost in the move. We regret the losses to our shared history that will occur, but we're excited for the new and improved system we will have going forward. It should run more smoothly and has some nicer features. We hope everyone likes it.

Unfortunately, part of the move will require you to create a new account for this system, but you will be able to use the same username and password as before if you choose. Also, your first three posts have to be approved manually by the site moderators, so bear with us as we come on line.

There is still some work to be done to build the new board. Right now BullGator and I are the only ones on board. As soon as the other administrators and moderators are over, we'll work on re-building.

Don't bite me, you little @#$%!

Re: Welcome to the new GASF Message Board

Postby DiehardLonghornFan » July 30th, 2013, 12:48 pm

Mike: I was wondering if the old board just crashed over the weekend. Glad to see this up and running. Probably will take a few days for everyone to come on board.

His Noliness

Postby *YNC* Aloha Nole » July 30th, 2013, 1:03 pm

It didn't take the Spammers long to learn of the new GASF, did it?
Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, author of "Lone Survivor," described Navy Seal Medal of Honor recipient LT Michael Murphy as "An iron-souled warrior of colossal and almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy."

Site Admin

Postby Admin » July 30th, 2013, 1:09 pm

Aloha Nole wrote:It didn't take the Spammers long to learn of the new GASF, did it?

No, it sure didn't.

Don't bite me, you little @#$%!

Postby DiehardLonghornFan » July 30th, 2013, 1:16 pm

Lot of history to the old board. Granted, it was outdated, but it was comfortable, like an old pair of shoes!
HOOK 'EM!

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » July 30th, 2013, 1:33 pm

I'm getting too old for all these changes, but I'll handle it.

:lol:
God, Country, Notre Dame

Janitor

Postby BullGator » July 30th, 2013, 2:24 pm

Aloha and Admin, are you seeing spammers just in that they are trying to create accounts or are they successfully creating accounts and then posting and you're catching the posts in the approval process?

EDIT: Strange, I just checked behind the scenes, and all spammer countermeasures are active and working. So, whatever spammers are making it through are real people taking the time to do it manually or some of the most advanced bots ever. All users have to make it past a bot-defeating captcha during signup and then click a link in an email sent to them...weird.
Last edited by BullGator on July 30th, 2013, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have the coolest signature of all time. Woohoo!!

Janitor

Postby BullGator » July 30th, 2013, 2:27 pm

DiehardLonghornFan wrote:Lot of history to the old board. Granted, it was outdated, but it was comfortable, like an old pair of shoes!
Once I can get access to the board, I'll see if there's some way to archive it for posterity's sake. At the very least, maybe we can move over the all-time great threads forum or whatever it was called.

I'm also talking to Aloha about getting the Pickems working and MTT about getting GACFFP working.
I have the coolest signature of all time. Woohoo!!

His Noliness

Postby *YNC* Aloha Nole » July 30th, 2013, 3:09 pm

Fred,

I am disapproving (quite a few) threads that are Spam prior to them making the boards.
Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, author of "Lone Survivor," described Navy Seal Medal of Honor recipient LT Michael Murphy as "An iron-souled warrior of colossal and almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy."

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » July 30th, 2013, 3:39 pm

Thanks guys for setting this up. And good to see you BullGator. It's been a long time.
Make GASF Great Again!

Next

Return to Free For All