Register

Is everybody still doing okay?

Anything and everything (within reason) for all posters. Be sure to check out the "Rules and Notices" forum before posting.
The X-Man Cometh

Re: Is everybody still doing okay?

Postby Xenon » July 31st, 2020, 8:45 am

Well, things are better in the Xenon Household as "after COVID" starts to firm up and normalize....

My second daughter DID get married, and we has a very small "luncheon" (his family is HUGE, so anything with his family is not "small"). They found an apartment, she was able to transfer schools, etc etc etc. So things are looking good for them as they are able to get beyond the COVID and get on with life after COVID

My older daughter got accepted into a Grad School program, and we just got back from a Campus Visit to check out apartments and such. She's very excited and it looks like a great program. They don't really know what school is going to look like when the semester starts in the Fall, so it's not at all clear what happens, but at least she has a general plan for the next few years.

My oldest son did a semester in his room, and I guess that was successful. He really needed the social elements of being at school (he is going into engineering, and think of every socially awkward engineer meme you can think of ... and he nails it!!! No white tape on the glasses, but everything else!) His school is opening up in the fall, so we're sending him back to school, but I think most of his classes are still mostly online ... so not a ton of the social development he needs.

My youngest son is going to be a senior in HS. High school last spring was a total joke. He went from 3.5 hours of math a week to 30 minutes a week. I fear that will come back to bite him sometime in the future when the next class says "you were supposed to learn this in Pre-Calc"..... BUT he did get a 4 on the AP US History test (modified COVID version) so I guess he learned something. Here's hoping that the school takes the online more seriously this semester and does something like 3.5 hours of instruction a week for the subjects he is taking.

My wife finally got her shoulder surgery done that she had to wait months for because of COVID shutdowns. It's weird here in New Mexico .... they laid off nurses and medical people because the governor shut down all "non-essential" or "voluntary" medical treatments, and there was no where near as many COVID patients as delayed elective treatments, so we had nurses getting unemployment payments during a "public health crisis". BUT, the shoulder is doing better, and she is recovering.

My wife also lost her mother in this mess, and we had to a ZOOM graveside service. (Mom died of just being old, nothing COVID about it). We finally got to get together to her siblings about a week ago and talk about Mom. Some closure there, but not really alot.

So Shutdowns really negatively impacted my family, but it looks like we can look to light at the end of the shutdown tunnel.... and the little bit of reopening is allowing my family to finally move on....

Ack! Ththbbthttbt!

Postby Willie the Wildcat » July 31st, 2020, 1:45 pm

We've been very fortunate in our neck of the woods. Fairly limited cases with overwhelmingly known exposures, although that is changing recently to more unknown spread with still limited but steady case counts.

Our household has also been fortunate to remain fully employed through all of this, overemployed actually. I work in IT for an auto dealership group, and while business slowed dramatically, we did utilize the Payroll Protection program and kept everyone employed. Since, business has roared back for us in July, but we expect it to slow again as pent up demand has been met and our inventory to sell becomes increasingly restricted. Service work has remained on a pre-Covid pace. In IT, we were able to push to complete some pending projects and pull some forward actually, so my area has been very busy.

My wife is a hospice case manager/nurse. They have had very, very few Covid patients, but are working extremely short staffed. Her organization is affiliated with a regional hospital; with all the reduced hospital income, non-medical staff has been furloughed, let go. For hospice, that has meant social workers, chaplains, and home health aides - the counseling and day to day living assistance services they would normally provide. The nurses have had to pick up that slack where they could; my wife is averaging 10-hour days and another 2 hours at home charting each evening during the week and usually 3-4 hours charting on the weekend. She has directly assisted with one Covid patient: the hospital called on a Saturday to assist them with preparing EOL care for a Px not anticipated to recover. It worked out the Px had severe dementia which was complicating assessment and treatment, they were able to devise a different treatment and that individual is now undergoing normal recovery at home.

The X-Man Cometh

Postby Xenon » August 1st, 2020, 1:57 pm

Willie the Wildcat wrote:We've been very fortunate in our neck of the woods. Fairly limited cases with overwhelmingly known exposures, although that is changing recently to more unknown spread with still limited but steady case counts.

Our household has also been fortunate to remain fully employed through all of this, overemployed actually. I work in IT for an auto dealership group, and while business slowed dramatically, we did utilize the Payroll Protection program and kept everyone employed. Since, business has roared back for us in July, but we expect it to slow again as pent up demand has been met and our inventory to sell becomes increasingly restricted. Service work has remained on a pre-Covid pace. In IT, we were able to push to complete some pending projects and pull some forward actually, so my area has been very busy.

My wife is a hospice case manager/nurse. They have had very, very few Covid patients, but are working extremely short staffed. Her organization is affiliated with a regional hospital; with all the reduced hospital income, non-medical staff has been furloughed, let go. For hospice, that has meant social workers, chaplains, and home health aides - the counseling and day to day living assistance services they would normally provide. The nurses have had to pick up that slack where they could; my wife is averaging 10-hour days and another 2 hours at home charting each evening during the week and usually 3-4 hours charting on the weekend. She has directly assisted with one Covid patient: the hospital called on a Saturday to assist them with preparing EOL care for a Px not anticipated to recover. It worked out the Px had severe dementia which was complicating assessment and treatment, they were able to devise a different treatment and that individual is now undergoing normal recovery at home.

Wow, Willie, your wife's story is really amazing. She must be amazing to do Hospice, I don't think I could do that ... Just wondering ... what does your wife think the immediate future looks like in Medical Care? Are the hospitals thinking that income is coming back eventually, or is that income lost forever? Will they likely bring back the social workers, chaplains, home health aides, etc... I kind of worry that "the new normal" for medical care is going to far more "stand off ish" with lots of telehealth (which is probably good), maybe the end of the waiting room and everyone waits in their cars to be called in on a cell phone call (not sure if that is good or bad, maybe good), and alot less of the personal interactions ... the social workers and home health aides you were talking about. In the nasty economic downturn that is going to come at some point, I think those more personal "nice touches" are going to be the first things cut permanantly.

Anyway ... glad to hear all is well ... and totally wish your wife the best in doing an incredibly tough job!!! Tell her some random guy on the internet thinks she and her co-workers are amazing to do what they do....

Previous

Return to Free For All