Register

Is everybody still doing okay?

Anything and everything (within reason) for all posters. Be sure to check out the "Rules and Notices" forum before posting.
The Curmudgeon
User avatar
Posts: 9121
Joined: July 30th, 2013, 1:25 pm
Location: 39 Latitude, -84 Longitude

Is everybody still doing okay?

Postby Domer » May 2nd, 2020, 3:58 pm

My wife and I are still hungered down and doing okay.
God, Country, Notre Dame

His Noliness
User avatar
Posts: 6942
Joined: July 30th, 2013, 12:46 pm
Location: In a van, down by the river

Re: Is everybody still doing okay?

Postby Aloha Nole » May 3rd, 2020, 11:49 am

That is good to hear, Ed.

My wife and I are also doing good.
Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, author of "Lone Survivor," described Navy Seal Medal of Honor recipient LT Michael Murphy as "An iron-souled warrior of colossal and almost unbelievable courage in the face of the enemy."

Thong
Posts: 906
Joined: August 1st, 2013, 3:49 pm

Re: Is everybody still doing okay?

Postby bigearl » May 5th, 2020, 8:18 am

All is well. I'd like to see some plans to start getting things moving though. It doesn't make sense to have rural areas play by the same rules as major metropolitan areas. Our governor is instituting masks in public starting tomorrow... while I don't have an issue wearing one in a store, I will not be wearing one jogging down my street. It seems to be there really are no experts in this.. everyone is learning on the fly.

The X-Man Cometh
User avatar
Posts: 2446
Joined: August 2nd, 2013, 10:40 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: Is everybody still doing okay?

Postby Xenon » May 5th, 2020, 9:10 pm

It's weird at our house .... 6 months ago, the PLAN was 3 of 4 kids out of the house ... away at college, away at internships, etc etc etc ...

INSTEAD ... All 4 home ... online remote college, delayed/cancelled internships, etc etc etc

We are doing fine from a purely "do you or do you not have COVID" point of view ...

HOWEVER, I think the long term impact is going to very bad .... Not sure that my son ever regains missing soooo much of the college experience by doing a full semester or more "in his room, in his pajamas, with mom cooking his dinner" (yes, WE CAN address those and we are, but the point is he is missing alot). My daughter's admission to Grad School was revoked, so she probably just got set back a full year, and struggling to figure out something useful to do for that year, when no one is offering internships and positions.

My daughter was supposed to get married in June. Still going to get married, but rather than a big reception, it's probably just Bride/Groom and two sets of parents. We're thinking a reception in a year on the first anniversary. But I feel really bad that the fun and excitement and happiness of a once in a lifetime thing like a Wedding is taken from my daughter.

SO ...are we OK ... Yeah, I guess ... but NO, not really......

Captain Patriotic Analogy
User avatar
Posts: 1234
Joined: July 30th, 2013, 1:39 pm
Location: Washington, not that one the other one

Re: Is everybody still doing okay?

Postby Seattle Irish » May 6th, 2020, 8:58 am

My wife had surgery on her foot jsut before this all happened. She was scheduled to return to work on 4/27, and they informed her 10 days befor this that she would be working from home. Had to reconfigure the computer room so she can use her power chair at the desk, plus raise it by 4 inches. The cat is trying to adapt to all of the changes, and I'm not doing so well at it for the moment.
They now have her on a waiting list for surgery on her left foot, then we get to do this all over again.

The Curmudgeon
User avatar
Posts: 9121
Joined: July 30th, 2013, 1:25 pm
Location: 39 Latitude, -84 Longitude

Re: Is everybody still doing okay?

Postby Domer » May 13th, 2020, 1:44 pm

Seattle Irish wrote:My wife had surgery on her foot jsut before this all happened. She was scheduled to return to work on 4/27, and they informed her 10 days befor this that she would be working from home. Had to reconfigure the computer room so she can use her power chair at the desk, plus raise it by 4 inches. The cat is trying to adapt to all of the changes, and I'm not doing so well at it for the moment.
They now have her on a waiting list for surgery on her left foot, then we get to do this all over again.

Here's hoping and wishing for you two that things start going better.
God, Country, Notre Dame

Don't bite me, you little @#$%!
User avatar
Posts: 705
Joined: July 30th, 2013, 12:43 pm
Location: Tomball, TX

Re: Is everybody still doing okay?

Postby DiehardLonghornFan » May 14th, 2020, 7:47 am

Went back to work on the 4th. We have had to adapt dramatically to the new Covid rules for dentistry. We are busy but not seeing a normal patient load. Everyone over age 10 has to wear a mask in the office and I've removed over half the chairs to allow for social distancing. Trying to keep it to no more than 2 families at a time in the waiting area and one family at a time in the treatment area.
HOOK 'EM!

Captain Patriotic Analogy
User avatar
Posts: 1234
Joined: July 30th, 2013, 1:39 pm
Location: Washington, not that one the other one

Re: Is everybody still doing okay?

Postby Seattle Irish » June 16th, 2020, 9:41 am

Domer wrote:
Seattle Irish wrote:My wife had surgery on her foot jsut before this all happened. She was scheduled to return to work on 4/27, and they informed her 10 days befor this that she would be working from home. Had to reconfigure the computer room so she can use her power chair at the desk, plus raise it by 4 inches. The cat is trying to adapt to all of the changes, and I'm not doing so well at it for the moment.
They now have her on a waiting list for surgery on her left foot, then we get to do this all over again.

Here's hoping and wishing for you two that things start going better.

Things are better. Her right foot is straight , and flat. She has progressed as much as sme can in walking with her walker until her left foot is done, which is scheduled for 6/30. Then it's back to manual transfers for at least 6 weeks. Then she gets the aircast which will allow her to put weight on that foot, then we have to work up to doing transfers using her walker. Never a dull moment, and this will run thru most of Sept.. I sure hope we have some kind of season by then, I'm going to need it.

The Curmudgeon
User avatar
Posts: 9121
Joined: July 30th, 2013, 1:25 pm
Location: 39 Latitude, -84 Longitude

Re: Is everybody still doing okay?

Postby Domer » June 24th, 2020, 5:03 pm

Seattle Irish wrote:Things are better. Her right foot is straight , and flat. She has progressed as much as sme can in walking with her walker until her left foot is done, which is scheduled for 6/30. Then it's back to manual transfers for at least 6 weeks. Then she gets the aircast which will allow her to put weight on that foot, then we have to work up to doing transfers using her walker. Never a dull moment, and this will run thru most of Sept.. I sure hope we have some kind of season by then, I'm going to need it.

Whew! I'm glad things are better. It sounds like a lot of therapy to go. Good luck!
God, Country, Notre Dame

The X-Man Cometh
User avatar
Posts: 2446
Joined: August 2nd, 2013, 10:40 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: Is everybody still doing okay?

Postby Xenon » July 31st, 2020, 8:43 am

Well, things are better in the Xenon Household as "after COVID" starts to firm up and normalize....

My second daughter DID get married, and we has a very small "luncheon" (his family is HUGE, so anything with his family is not "small"). They found an apartment, she was able to transfer schools, etc etc etc. So things are looking good for them as they are able to get beyond the COVID and get on with life after COVID

My older daughter got accepted into a Grad School program, and we just got back from a Campus Visit to check out apartments and such. She's very excited and it looks like a great program. They don't really know what school is going to look like when the semester starts in the Fall, so it's not at all clear what happens, but at least she has a general plan for the next few years.

My oldest son did a semester in his room, and I guess that was successful. He really needed the social elements of being at school (he is going into engineering, and think of every socially awkward engineer meme you can think of ... and he nails it!!! No white tape on the glasses, but everything else!) His school is opening up in the fall, so we're sending him back to school, but I think most of his classes are still mostly online ... so not a ton of the social development he needs.

My youngest son is going to be a senior in HS. High school last spring was a total joke. He went from 3.5 hours of math a week to 30 minutes a week. I fear that will come back to bite him sometime in the future when the next class says "you were supposed to learn this in Pre-Calc"..... BUT he did get a 4 on the AP US History test (modified COVID version) so I guess he learned something. Here's hoping that the school takes the online more seriously this semester and does something like 3.5 hours of instruction a week for the subjects he is taking.

My wife finally got her shoulder surgery done that she had to wait months for because of COVID shutdowns. It's weird here in New Mexico .... they laid off nurses and medical people because the governor shut down all "non-essential" or "voluntary" medical treatments, and there was no where near as many COVID patients as delayed elective treatments, so we had nurses getting unemployment payments during a "public health crisis". BUT, the shoulder is doing better, and she is recovering.

My wife also lost her mother in this mess, and we had to a ZOOM graveside service. (Mom died of just being old, nothing COVID about it). We finally got to get together to her siblings about a week ago and talk about Mom. Some closure there, but not really alot.

So Shutdowns really negatively impacted my family, but it looks like we can look to light at the end of the shutdown tunnel.... and the little bit of reopening is allowing my family to finally move on....

Next

Return to Free For All

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests