Register

College admissions bribery charges

Anything and everything (within reason) for all posters. Be sure to check out the "Rules and Notices" forum before posting.
The Curmudgeon

College admissions bribery charges

Postby Domer » March 12th, 2019, 12:05 pm

I put this here since it involves a lot of different sports coaches, CEO, actors, and others.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-s ... spartandhp

The FBI and federal prosecutors in Boston have charged 50 people, including several university athletic coaches and administrators of college entrance exams, in a nationwide college admissions cheating and recruitment scheme, according to court documents first released on Tuesday. 13 people have been indicted.

According to the indictment, the scheme worked to help potential students cheat on college entrance exams or pose as recruited athletes to get admitted to high-profile universities with bribes of up to $6 million. The scheme allegedly facilitated admittance for some students as athletes regardless of their athletic abilities.

Parents allegedly paid a California man a predetermined amount which he would then steer to either an SAT or ACT administrator, or a college athletic coach. Coaches would help non-recruits get into school by saying they were recruits. Most of the students allegedly admitted under these false pretenses that they did not know their admission was contingent on a bribe.

Among coaches indicted are current Stanford sailing coach John Vandemoer, former Yale women's soccer coach Rudy Meredith, former Georgetown tennis coach Gordie Ernst, several USC Olympic sports coaches, current UCLA men's soccer coach Jorge Salcedo and current Texas men's tennis coach Michael Center. Ernst, who is accused of taking multiple six-figure cash bribes to admit fake recruits, resigned without explanation from Georgetown last summer. He is now coaching at Rhode Island.

Actors Felicity Huffman, of Desperate Housewives fame, and Full House's Lori Loughlin were both charged in the scheme, according to court documents, which show that the FBI recorded phone calls with both actresses and a cooperating witness where they discussed the scheme. The two have been charged with conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud.

In her affidavit, Special Agent Laura Smith said the FBI has "probable cause to believe that the defendants conspired with others known and unknown: (1) to bribe college entrance exam administrators to facilitate cheating on college entrance exams; (2) to bribe varsity coaches and administrators at elite universities to designate certain applicants as recruited athletes or as other favored candidates, thereby facilitating the applicants' admission to those universities; and (3) to use the facade of a charitable organization to conceal the nature and source of the bribe payments."

The scheme, which was allegedly running from 2011 to present day, per court documents, involved Georgetown University, Stanford University, UCLA, the University of San Diego, USC, University of Texas, Wake Forest, and Yale.

One student was allegedly posed as a USC lacrosse recruit despite the lack of a lacrosse team in the Trojans' athletic programs. Another prospective student was "made a long snapper," despite weighing just 145 pounds. Other students athletic histories were similarly falsely described for the purposes of admission.

Per court documents, there is no indication that the schools were directly involved in wrong-doing.
God, Country, Notre Dame

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Re: College admissions bribery charges

Postby Iconoclast » March 12th, 2019, 3:02 pm

I was about to post this Domer and see that you beat me to it.

A lot to unpack in this one, starting with the names who are involved. The second thing is that Lori Laughlin is involved and her daughter talked about going to USC and how she's not really into school and is more focused on her blogging and how the second week of school she will be off somewhere working. If that is her attitude, why did mom pay off some guy to get her into USC. I used to be a college person and an elite college snob to a degree. Any more, I see lots of people making great money without degrees. Hell, Kylie Jenner is worth a billion dollars and never set a foot on campus, probably barely graduated high school. I see kids graduate from HS who have taken shop and woodworking and who go on to trades and make good money.

The third thing is how is Lynn Swann going to handle a couple of his coaches who took bribe money? I'm sure the crew coach is gone. The soccer coaches, if they are the coaches who are still there, are likely gone. USC women's soccer won the national title a couple of years ago too.
Make GASF Great Again!

The Curmudgeon

Postby Domer » March 13th, 2019, 10:17 am

Iconoclast wrote:I was about to post this Domer and see that you beat me to it.

:D

A lot to unpack in this one, starting with the names who are involved. The second thing is that Lori Laughlin is involved and her daughter talked about going to USC and how she's not really into school and is more focused on her blogging and how the second week of school she will be off somewhere working. If that is her attitude, why did mom pay off some guy to get her into USC.

I agree, good question.

I used to be a college person and an elite college snob to a degree. Any more, I see lots of people making great money without degrees. Hell, Kylie Jenner is worth a billion dollars and never set a foot on campus, probably barely graduated high school. I see kids graduate from HS who have taken shop and woodworking and who go on to trades and make good money.

I absolutely agree.

The third thing is how is Lynn Swann going to handle a couple of his coaches who took bribe money? I'm sure the crew coach is gone. The soccer coaches, if they are the coaches who are still there, are likely gone. USC women's soccer won the national title a couple of years ago too.

Any coaches involved in this should be fired immediately.
God, Country, Notre Dame

The Straw That Stirs the Drink

Postby Iconoclast » March 13th, 2019, 1:53 pm

Well Domer, after reading more about this I think it's now obvious why these folks did what they did, and in the case of Lori Laughlin it's even more pronounced. They are all highly successful people who expected their kids to follow suit and when they didn't meet the expectations, they cheated so that they world would think that the parents raised highly successful kids. The fact is, this isn't new. Many alums of prestigious schools got their kids into those schools by making large donations. The Bush twins went to UT and Yale, was it due to their grades and achievement or name? Ditto Malia Obama who is at Harvard.

As to the trades, I wish my son would take one or two shop classes. Our HS offers a breadth of those classes but he won't take them. I can't fault him as he is in his second semester of his sophomore year and is one of 12 kids ranked 1 in his class of 450. He takes four classes a semester and right now two of them are AP. Its funny in his math classes as he is the only sophomore in them and last year was the only freshman in his math classes. But I applaud the kids who are taking the shop and such classes as those kids are setting themselves up to be just as successful as the ones taking AP classes.

Oh, and how this was all discovered is interesting. I haven't gotten the complete story but apparently it was uncovered due to an unrelated audit of admissions practices and they just happened to find this. I wonder what else has gone on that has never been discovered?
Make GASF Great Again!

Thong

Postby bigearl » March 19th, 2019, 12:53 pm

Iconoclast wrote:Well Domer, after reading more about this I think it's now obvious why these folks did what they did, and in the case of Lori Laughlin it's even more pronounced. They are all highly successful people who expected their kids to follow suit and when they didn't meet the expectations, they cheated so that they world would think that the parents raised highly successful kids. The fact is, this isn't new. Many alums of prestigious schools got their kids into those schools by making large donations. The Bush twins went to UT and Yale, was it due to their grades and achievement or name? Ditto Malia Obama who is at Harvard.

As to the trades, I wish my son would take one or two shop classes. Our HS offers a breadth of those classes but he won't take them. I can't fault him as he is in his second semester of his sophomore year and is one of 12 kids ranked 1 in his class of 450. He takes four classes a semester and right now two of them are AP. Its funny in his math classes as he is the only sophomore in them and last year was the only freshman in his math classes. But I applaud the kids who are taking the shop and such classes as those kids are setting themselves up to be just as successful as the ones taking AP classes.

Oh, and how this was all discovered is interesting. I haven't gotten the complete story but apparently it was uncovered due to an unrelated audit of admissions practices and they just happened to find this. I wonder what else has gone on that has never been discovered?

Very true... I have a nephew who went to a vocational high school. He recently graduated and is already pulling in pretty good money as an apprentice for an electrician. I think there's a shortage out there in the trades world, so there are opportunities for kids there.

Ack! Ththbbthttbt!

Postby Willie the Wildcat » March 19th, 2019, 3:57 pm

The highest compensated "regular" employees in our dealership group (non-ownership or profit bonused group management) are OEM certified diesel technicians. Its really difficult, really grimy work at times; but being able to perform OEM warranty work gets these guys pretty much about anything they want/need in order to retain them. We have a dual OEM certified tech who has pulled in right at 90k before; we were shorthanded at the time so he had more work than he really wanted, he's usually pacing around 75-80k.

Return to Free For All